PDA

View Full Version : Any Water Damage Experts Here?

Raymond Fries
06-24-2016, 1:50 PM
I am in the final stages of compiling data necessary to recover damages from the indoor greenhouse fiasco. The room was built in 2011 and the water leaks were discovered in 2015. Is it possible to look at stains and determine if the leak has been there for a long time? Here are a couple of pictures of a piece of fir paneling that was replaced where the PTAC unit was removed. Note that these are of the back side where the stain was larger. Also, note that the stains were hidden by the baseboards and the stains were found on all of the exterior walls. Is it evident from these pictures that the water has been leaking for years and not from a recent leak?

Tom M King
06-24-2016, 7:29 PM
I'm no expert, but with no rot, nor black mold and mildew, it doesn't look like it's been leaking since 2011 to me, but that's certainly not to say that there was no problem with some original installation, whether wood movement, improper materials, or end of life of caulking. I try to never build anything that depends on caulking to be leak free.

Raymond Fries
06-24-2016, 9:19 PM
It is not apparent in the pictures, but the wood layers are separating at the bottom. Early stages of rot?