PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I did this with an expensive blade again

Alan Lightstone
06-23-2016, 8:38 PM
Yup. History sorta repeated itself. About 3 or 4 years ago I triggered my Sawstop while making a zero clearance insert with my dado stack. Yup, most expensive blade I own.

Well, tonight, I was using the iBox jig, which I hadn't used in about a year. I put it on the saw backwards, and when I made my first test cut - BANG, I triggered the Sawstop again, except this time with a Freud Box Joint Blade set, so another expensive blade bites the dust, much less needing a new cartridge.

Aaaaarghhh!!!!!!!!!

Kurt Kintner
06-23-2016, 9:22 PM
But.... You still have all your fingers ..... Just joking......

John TenEyck
06-23-2016, 9:50 PM
Why did having the blade on backwards trigger it? I thought it took flesh or wet wood or something like that to trigger it.

John

Vince Shriver
06-23-2016, 9:51 PM
Look at it this way - there's a load of truth in the old adage "knowledge is acquired thru failure". I'll just bet when you go for the hat-trick (3 consecutive scores), it'll be the last blade you smoke. Let us know how that works out for you. Some of us just take a little longer to get there.

Alan Lightstone
06-23-2016, 10:04 PM
It was the iBox jig on backwards, not the blade.

It hit the metal spacing bar, then fired...

Larry Frank
06-24-2016, 7:15 AM
I have fired my brake on an Incra miter gauge. I think Incra is one large contributed to brake fires. That and my own stupidity.

Rod Sheridan
06-24-2016, 8:12 AM
Alan, why don't you have the blade repaired?

It would be much less expensive that a new one................Rod.

Prashun Patel
06-24-2016, 8:49 AM
Alan, as a two-time Incra-miter-gauge-fires-the-ss-brake offender, I share your pain.

Incra should make a sawstop-friendly phenolic line of gauges and jigs!!!!!

Alan Lightstone
06-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Alan, why don't you have the blade repaired?

It would be much less expensive that a new one................Rod.
I did that with the dado stack. Wasn't that much less expensive, and changed the diameter of the blade subtly. Eventually, I tossed out the old set and bought a new one

Unfortunately, I need to knock out this project this weekend, so no time to get it repaired.

Alan Lightstone
06-24-2016, 10:24 AM
Alan, as a two-time Incra-miter-gauge-fires-the-ss-brake offender, I share your pain.

Now there's a good idea!!!

Jon McElwain
06-24-2016, 10:43 AM

Isn't Incra owned by SawStop? Just kidding. Sorry for your lost dollars and productivity. Those are painful hits.

Gary Cunningham
06-24-2016, 5:50 PM
BTDT.

Cost me a Forest 48 tooth WWII blade.
:cool:

Gary Cunningham
06-24-2016, 7:36 PM
BTDT.

Cost me a Forest 48 tooth WWII blade.
:cool:

Rich Riddle
06-25-2016, 12:52 AM
I was upset because the Bosch fired the other day, but at least it only costs about $50 a firing total. Guess this thread put my mind back in perspective.