PDA

View Full Version : Have you used pocket holes for...

John Branam
09-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Have you used pocket holes for frame and panel doors?

Phil Maddox
09-22-2005, 10:36 PM
I've only used them for shop or utility grade doors. Some like to plug the pocket holes with a contrasting wood for a different look. I do not find it appealing but that is only my opinion.

Great for face frames though!

Phil

John Branam
09-22-2005, 10:52 PM
these doors are going to be painted so I will be using plugs and just want to know if anyone has had any failure using pocket holes for this type of door.

Peter Pedisich
09-22-2005, 11:17 PM
I built a frame and panel door out of 3/4" poplar for rails and stiles and 1/4" birch ply panel using pocket screws, it was for a kneewall access door to attic storage space so the holes were not an issue.
3 years of hot on one side cold on the other and vice versa and the door was like new. It got banged a lot too, took the abuse with no problems.

Pete

frank shic
09-23-2005, 12:50 AM
john, that's a clever idea that i've NEVER considered! the only trick is trying to sand or plane or rout those plugs really flush but you could probably fill in any gaps with just wood filler since you're going to be painting them anyways. you would save yourself the extra step of having to cope the ends of the rails which is always such a pain in routing end grain and having to deal with tearout. you ought to email the folks at kreg so that they can throw that into their brochure! :p

John Branam
09-23-2005, 8:31 AM
Well I think that I am going to use the pocket holes for these doors. Thanks eveyone for your input.

Jim Becker
09-23-2005, 9:38 AM
Makes sense to me to make frame and panel doors like this. 'Should be very strong and will definitely be fast to assemble. And given you'll be painting, the plugs will pretty much disappear. Please be sure to post pictures of your process and end result!

John Branam
09-23-2005, 10:01 AM
I will try to post pictures, the doors are going to be rather simple contemporary doors.

Lee Schierer
09-23-2005, 10:26 AM
You can make your own plugs with a 3/8" dowel and a flush cutting saw. Put glue in the pocket hole, push in a dowel and cut it off with a flush cutting saw. Cut off the tapered part of the dowel leaving about 1/4" of straight dowel and use it for the next hole. If you place an index card or thin piece of plastic shim stock between the side of the saw and the surface, it will prevent surface scratches and will leave the cut a little proud of the surface so you can sand it flush after the glue dries.

Michael Ballent
09-23-2005, 11:04 AM
That is a good tip :D

John Miliunas
09-23-2005, 12:34 PM
You can make your own plugs with a 3/8" dowel and a flush cutting saw. Put glue in the pocket hole, push in a dowel and cut it off with a flush cutting saw. Cut off the tapered part of the dowel leaving about 1/4" of straight dowel and use it for the next hole. If you place an index card or thin piece of plastic shim stock between the side of the saw and the surface, it will prevent surface scratches and will leave the cut a little proud of the surface so you can sand it flush after the glue dries.

Great tips, Lee! Thanks!!!:) :cool:

John Gregory
09-23-2005, 12:37 PM

I am sure like us, most of you get credit card offers in the mail all of the time. many include "fake" credit cards. We save those in our shop for applying Gorilla glue and to use Lee's tip to flush cut without leaving scratches.

Mike Forsman
09-24-2005, 2:47 PM
John,

I have never used pocket screws for a panel door. But, I did make a exterior gate frame using pocket screws for my mother in law. Then used fence pickets over the frame to close out the frame. This was made about 10 years ago and is still just a strong as the day it was made.