PDA

View Full Version : miter saw adjustment advice

aurelio alarcon
09-22-2005, 9:59 PM
I have a small Craftsman 10 inch miter saw that I take from site to site. Recently it started to have a grinding sound when I pivot the table to cut a miter. I looked under the tool but couldn't see how to adjust it. I did tighten a bolt underneath it, but it just got harder to turn the table. So I loosened it back to where it was. When I loosened it it still had the grinding sound just not as hard to pivot. But grinding none the less. Any response would help me out.

aurelio alarcon
09-23-2005, 1:23 AM
I was hoping someone would have had experience adjusting these. Thanks anyways.

Vaughn McMillan
09-23-2005, 5:02 AM
I haven't really dug into my CMS, but do you see what would happen if you removed the bolt you adjusted? I'm wondering if some dirt or debris got in between a couple of the moving parts, and maybe just opening it up and blowing it out would help. (Assuming of course, that you can see a way to dismantle it somewhat.)

I hope this maybe helps a little -

- Vaughn

Mike Cutler
09-23-2005, 5:19 AM
I have a Dewalt 12" CMS that used to make the same noises, in this case though I knew the reason. I had been cutting tile and aluminum with it, it was actually purchased for these tasks, and the resultant debris dust got in all the spaces between the moving parts.
Long story short, I had to completely disassemble the machine and clean it out.
You may just have some construction site debris that needs to be cleaned out.

Tony Falotico
09-23-2005, 6:17 AM
I'll go with Vaughn & Mike on this one, take it apart (if you can) clean it out, hit the moving parts with a silicon spray lube that dries completely (or some paste wax) and put her back together.

aurelio alarcon
09-23-2005, 8:15 PM
Thanks for the info. I will try this before taking it to get fixed. Maybe I didn't see something that was there the first time that I backed the bolt off the bottem. By the way, does anyone know if the table is supposed to ride directly on the bottem of the chanel or pivot on the center bolt? Thanks again.

Kelly C. Hanna
09-24-2005, 9:07 AM
Being a car nut has it's rewards :D....I use brake cleaner to clean mine of the treated stuff. It dries itself and cleans out most everything. Afterwards, I spray a small amount of lithium grease.

Mike Cutler
09-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Being a car nut has it's rewards :D....I use brake cleaner to clean mine of the treated stuff. It dries itself and cleans out most everything. Afterwards, I spray a small amount of lithium grease.

Now ya' share this cool trick :rolleyes: I had my dewalt in about 15 pieces and I'd only owned it 2 weeks. Worked out for the best though, I was able to polish all the aluminum surfaces that slide together. It moves alot easier than a brandnew one now. I used aluminum Never Sieze on all the moving parts. White Lithium would have worked great also.
Nice tip Kelly.

JayStPeter
09-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Brake cleaner is great stuff. When I used to race, I bought it by the case :D .
You do have to be a little careful with it though. If you want to keep the paint and stickers on your saw, don't spray them. I usually use brake cleaner on things that compressed air won't take care of. WD40 if brake cleaner is too harsh.

Aurelio,
Did you cut any PVC or Al with it? I had a similar problem when some Al shavings got into the mechanism. I just loosened it up some and shook the shavings out. More recently, I cut up some PVC railings and azek trim boards. Afterward, it seemed like there was sand in all the mechanisms. Compressed air easily took care of this.
Is it possible there were some sort of plastic pieces that the mechanism used to slide on that fell off. You might want to look at your parts diagram. That's all my ideas.

Jay

Kelly C. Hanna
09-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Sorry it took so long Mike! :D

I hate most any sticker on my machines...especially those really big ones. There are none on most of my big tools except the brand sticker of course. Warnings and the like get removed right away with goof-off or goop-off (dang CRS has set in fully).

Bart Leetch
09-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Being a car nut has it's rewards :D....I use brake cleaner to clean mine of the treated stuff. It dries itself and cleans out most everything. Afterwords, I spray a small amount of lithium grease.

I'm not sure but won't saw-dust & debris collect in lithium grease. I would think "silicon spray lube that dries completely (or some paste wax)" would be a better choice.

aurelio alarcon
09-24-2005, 1:19 PM
I'm not sure but won't saw-dust & debris collect in lithium grease. I would think "silicon spray lube that dries completely (or some paste wax)" would be a better choice.
You make a good point Bart. But I will say that I did find some type of grease residue.

aurelio alarcon
09-24-2005, 1:23 PM
By the way, does anyone know if the Aluminum table is supposed to ride directly on the Aluminum base or pivot on the center bolt? Thanks again. I looked at the parts list, but they're not very detailed.

Mike Cutler
09-24-2005, 6:36 PM
I can't say on the CMS that you have, but on the Dewalt, everything sort of rubbed together everywhere.

Scott Parks
09-25-2005, 10:45 AM
By the way, does anyone know if the Aluminum table is supposed to ride directly on the Aluminum base or pivot on the center bolt? Thanks again. I looked at the parts list, but they're not very detailed.

Once upon a time, I had two Cman CMS's. If I recall, the pivot bolt holds it against the base. Mine was very sloppy. From the weight of the motor, the base would flex and give me a poor cut. I tightend the bolt more, and the flex went away, but then I could not easily pivot the saw for miters. I hate to say it, but I was not satisfied with the performance of either saw. The second one did not have a flat base, and the arc swing was not perpendicular to the base. I ended up taking them both back within one year for a full refund. I now have a Hitachi, and am very pleased.

Bart,
Instead of Lithium grease, I use a no-dust motorcycle chain wax. Just a quick shot (aerosol can), it dries as a thin layer of white wax. Works great, and doesnt build up much sawdust.

aurelio alarcon
09-26-2005, 2:13 PM
Once upon a time, I had two Cman CMS's. If I recall, the pivot bolt holds it against the base. Mine was very sloppy. From the weight of the motor, the base would flex and give me a poor cut. I tightend the bolt more, and the flex went away, but then I could not easily pivot the saw for miters. I hate to say it, but I was not satisfied with the performance of either saw. The second one did not have a flat base, and the arc swing was not perpendicular to the base. I ended up taking them both back within one year for a full refund. I now have a Hitachi, and am very pleased.

Bart,
Instead of Lithium grease, I use a no-dust motorcycle chain wax. Just a quick shot (aerosol can), it dries as a thin layer of white wax. Works great, and doesnt build up much sawdust.
Thanks for the info Scott