PDA

View Full Version : How is this CL table saw?

Minh Tran
06-22-2016, 4:40 PM
I'm looking at a CL ad for a $150 table saw. It sports a Vega Utility fence which is retailed at $315, according to Rockler's Woodworking. Table saw looks like it has cast iron top, belt driven.

The throatplate looks industry standard and it looks like it can support a dado stack. I'm not looking for something that can cut timbers like butter. It matters most to me that you can do fine woodworking on it and that its design allows me to use aftermarket attachments (miter gauge, jigs) and build upon (outfeed table, a table in which I can mount that particular TS).

This looks like the manual for it:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/user-manuals/315228310-craftsman-parts-table+saw-manual?pathRender=fromManualTabPage&manualIndex=2

Thanks for your help,
MT

Carroll Courtney
06-22-2016, 5:10 PM
I had that table saw few yrs ago and I have to say I like it.Now I could not lay a full sheet of plywood on top and rip me a 45* all the way down.But it did just fine on smaller sheets of plywood,did good on solid pieces of wood.But I also keep my blades sharp,lots of good ideals floating around using that saw and others like it building it into a work station will outfeed table.
But you being up in the Boston area,I would also think that there has to be a Unisaw someplace.

Adam Herman
06-22-2016, 5:24 PM
https://providence.craigslist.org/tls/5645637436.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tls/5647380030.html

if you can go up in budget a bit, these 2 would be good choices, I have a rigid 3650 and it has been a great saw. (this is a 4650) I picked up my 3650 for 300 about 2 years ago.

Alan Schwabacher
06-22-2016, 5:55 PM
If $150 is what you can spare, that looks like a good bet. It is considerably better than the one you mentioned in the other thread, and has the things you need including a quite nice fence. Even if you later decide to upgrade to a cabinet saw, many of those are sold at low prices because of a sub-par fence. This saw is cheaper than buying just a fence.

scott spencer
06-22-2016, 10:12 PM
Nice deal for $150 IMO.

Rich Riddle
06-23-2016, 12:57 AM
Wow, a 1 hp table saw? The little jobsite saw Bosch shipped last week has a 4 hp motor. Even with your budget, a better saw will pop up sooner or later; it really comes down to how long you can wait.

scott spencer
06-23-2016, 5:42 AM
Wow, a 1 hp table saw? The little jobsite saw Bosch shipped last week has a 4 hp motor. Even with your budget, a better saw will pop up sooner or later; it really comes down to how long you can wait.

You really believe that 4hp claim? If true, it'd be best run on a 30 amp 220v circuit. If it plugs into a typical 120v circuit, it's not going to produce over 2hp for long enough to matter....

Motor power ratings aside, the Bosch will have a direct drive universal motor that relies more on RPM than torque, aluminum top, plastic housing, and not much space in front of the blade. It's tough to beat the landing zone of a full size cast iron top, and the torque of a belt drive induction motor....especially when they've added a nice fence to the equation. That Cman saw essentially has the same as most of the older Ridgid saws, and the addition of a Vega fence makes it a heck of a buy at $150 IMO.

mark kosse
06-23-2016, 6:38 AM
[QUOTEIt's tough to beat the landing zone of a full size cast iron top, and the torque of a belt drive induction motor....especially when they've added a nice fence to the equation. That Cman saw essentially has the same as most of the older Ridgid saws, and the addition of a Vega fence makes it a heck of a buy at $150 IMO.[/QUOTE]

Couldnt have said it better. Emerson made the a large amount of craftsman and ridgid saws and jointers so they're basically the same. I'm surprised it's still for sale.

Ken Combs
06-23-2016, 11:04 AM
I have an ancient Unisaw. The old bullet motor is either a 1 or 1.5hp, I think a one. Handles up to 8/4 hardwoods fine. Maybe slower than some, but OK.

must be draft horsepower, not the Bosch shetland ponies. Seriously, the 4hp is marketing, like vacuum cleaners and little air compressors. It can't pull more that 15a from a standard 120v circuit so that limits the real hp to less than 1/2 the advertised rating.

Adam Herman
06-23-2016, 11:20 AM
just so you are aware and to add to above:

1 hp = 745.7 watts power (watts) = volts x amps ex 1hp=745.4 watts = 120 volts x 6.3 amps 2hp = 12.6 etc... and then you have to increase the current to make up for the voltage drop across the cord and fluctuation in your mains voltage.
it is generally accepted that you will never get more than 2 hp out of a 120 outlet and even then, you are likely to blow a 15 amp breaker. 1 or 1.5 hp is safe.

Minh Tran
06-24-2016, 10:09 PM
Nice finds! I heard that Rigid model has an issue with blade alignment but otherwise, a lot of people seem to enjoy that saw.

The powermatic is a nice saw. Had I not squandered my $350 on my first junk craftsman, I would have snatched it up. I'll let someone else snag that deal :).

Thanks for looking out,
MT

Minh Tran
06-27-2016, 12:55 AM
Pulled the trigger on the $150 10" Craftsman. The table was a bit wobbly but it was because it was on casters & the base was kind of flimsy. Love the iron top. Love that the miter slot is industry sized. A lot of metal needs buffing but the guy kept it in working condition.

The T-fence wasn't parallel to the blade so I gotta learn how to tweak that. Overall, it's a huge improvement on my $300 Gimmicky Craftsman.

Thanks all. Here's a picture of me, all cheeky & giddy with the TS. I held my fingers up that way because god forbid something should happen to them, I'll look back on this photo for consolation. 339836

Jerry Olexa
07-02-2016, 5:43 PM
you did well!!!! Congrats!! Enjoy your new TS and be careful!!!