PDA

View Full Version : 18" + Bandsaw

Neil Gaskin
06-22-2016, 3:17 PM
We're shopping for a new band saw, I'd like 18" +. Budget is flexible but I'd like to be around 3,000, obviously less is better, but if spending in the 4,000 range or better makes a huge difference don't hold back.

I've looked online at Laguna Asian made models, the Jet seems to rank well in past reviews, as well as Balieigh. I entertained Powermatic, I love the rest of their tools, but for the money I think I'd rather go with the Laguna Italian model....

For use, I would like to be able to re-saw moderately sized material, nothing huge, as well as curved cuts.

Opinions Please...

Victor Robinson
06-22-2016, 3:26 PM
I won't be pulling the trigger for another year, but I know for me it will come down to the Laguna Italian vs Minimax MM20.

Prashun Patel
06-22-2016, 3:30 PM
For that budget, you should be able to buy a very nice machine.

I'd look at the Minimax and Felder/Hammers. Just know that they both have pro and 'lightweight' models. Now you'll have to make a determination about what that really means.

And I would not count this one out:

Grizzly G0701, which I believe was designed to compete squarely with the "European" brands (I would contact Grizzly about this to verify.

You might PM Eric Loza. While he'll have an understandable position on this, he was open and helpful during my evaluation of jointer/planers.

mreza Salav
06-22-2016, 3:40 PM
Minimax and Laguna (made by Centauro and ACM respectively) are solid machines.
If you inspect upclose the Italian made vs. the Asian made Laguna you'll notice significant differences.
Last time I checked the best overall and best bang for buck was Minimax.

John Lanciani
06-22-2016, 3:50 PM
My only complaint about my Minimax MM20 is that its not a 24. ;) Seriously, buy once, cry once. Get the heaviest saw you can afford, one size bigger than you think you need, and you will grow into it quick enough.

Ben Rivel
06-22-2016, 4:52 PM
Check out the Hammer N4400 and the Felder FB-510. When they are on sale they are right in that price range.

Tom M King
06-22-2016, 5:10 PM
Get a 20", or at least one that will pull a 1" blade, if you want to do resawing with it.

Jacob Haiduk
06-22-2016, 6:21 PM
Just pulled the trigger on Laguna's LT 24x24 and while it is an awesome machine after having in my possession noticed several details I wish were different. Disclaimer that I am very detail oriented and a discerning customer which is why I am not afraid to spend money but expect a great product. I previously owned their 18 SE bought back around 2000 and that thing was perfect in every way . Come to find out that was built in Bulgaria - where my current saw is Italian made by ACM . I am not sure how much responsibility to place on manufacturer vs design they were given to build. I am not sure the company you are buying from is as consistent as it used to be, all companies seem to have an A and B grade product so look close and ask a ton of questions . More important than that make the time and effort to put your hands on the product and give it a once over. I would throw Agazzani in the hat for sure great price point for a well built tool. Good Luck

Erik Loza
06-22-2016, 7:09 PM
Neil, if you decide you want a Minimax MM20, email me directly at eloza-at-scmgroup-dot-com. I'll be the last guy to give you an un-biased answer on this but that being said, there are plenty of MM bandsaw owners here on the Creek that could tell you whether or not it was worth the money to them.

Erik

Kelby Van Patten
06-22-2016, 7:10 PM
I have owned the Laguna 18LT for a long time, maybe a decade or more. It is rock solid. I use it for resawing hardwoods a lot. It cuts 10" hardwood into thin slices without difficulty. I would definitely buy it again. I do not know whether they have made any changes to that saw over the last decade, but on the website, it looks identical to mine. (They did change the color of one part to yellow, but that's the only difference I can see.)

Jay Rasmussen
06-22-2016, 9:39 PM
I have owned the Laguna 18LT for a long time, maybe a decade or more. It is rock solid. I use it for resawing hardwoods a lot. It cuts 10" hardwood into thin slices without difficulty. I would definitely buy it again. I do not know whether they have made any changes to that saw over the last decade, but on the website, it looks identical to mine. (They did change the color of one part to yellow, but that's the only difference I can see.)

I'm with Kelby. I've had my 18LT for a number of years. For the money I'm very pleased. Not crazy about the guides but overall a good saw. If you do your part it's dead on accurate.

Rich Riddle
06-23-2016, 1:00 AM
Go big or go home. Ask Dave Kumm about which saws would fit your bill. There are quite a few Italian pre-owned saws that fit well into your budget.

Rollie Kelly
06-23-2016, 9:18 AM
There is a Wadkin DR30 (30") on OWWM.org for sale for $2K.

Patrick Curry
06-23-2016, 5:50 PM
I have the Laguna LT18 3000, which is Asian made and priced at about $2,300. It has a 4hp Leason, and a 15" resaw capacity (if I remember correctly, whereas the Italian version has 5hp and maybe 18"?

I'm sure there are additional differences between the two models, including the origins of manufacturing, but they weren't worth the expense for my purposes. I've been very happy with this BS

John Sanford
06-23-2016, 6:27 PM
We're shopping for a new band saw, I'd like 18" +. Budget is flexible but I'd like to be around 3,000, obviously less is better, but if spending in the 4,000 range or better makes a huge difference don't hold back.

I've looked online at Laguna Asian made models, the Jet seems to rank well in past reviews, as well as Balieigh. I entertained Powermatic, I love the rest of their tools, but for the money I think I'd rather go with the Laguna Italian model....

For use, I would like to be able to re-saw moderately sized material, nothing huge, as well as curved cuts.

Opinions Please...

Don't forget to take a look at the General Internationals. I've seen them here locally and they look to be pretty good Asian machines. Also, they're easier to find to take a look at that some other brands.

Scott DelPorte
06-23-2016, 6:43 PM
I have the MM24, and its a great saw. Worth every penny.

David Kumm
06-24-2016, 11:36 AM
The type of use is most important when buying a bandsaw. Occasional resawing is fine on most 18" but to excel at 10-15" hardwood resawing you need a larger frame stout build machine. I thought my ACM Laguna LT 18 was a decent resaw machine until I used really good ones. If you have the room, 24" Centauro ( minimax, scm ) or ACM ( Bridgewood, Laguna, Felder ). If you find a used Aggi in24" it would fill the bill. I like a bigger table and capacity so I favor the larger saws. 3K will buy a high end used saw plus a vfd. If you want new, I'd save up for a 4-5K saw. To me that is where you need to be to have a machine that always delivers. Fair note: I have a 20" Snowflake for a small saw, and 30 and 36" saws as my medium and large. I like the older steel 24" with the shorter 17" resaw height too. Dave

Tom Hyde
07-01-2016, 7:53 AM
Incredibly happy with my S400p (MM16) I bought last year. With a 1" Woodmaster CT, it just works all day long. I'm not fiddling, adjusting, drifting, scratchin' or foolin' around.