PDA

View Full Version : What is this tool.called

Bill Jobe
06-22-2016, 3:03 PM
Recently I picked up a couple of handsfull of turning tools.
One of them I pretty much ignored thinking at my level of skill best to wait til I have more turning under my belt.

But last night I decided to try it out and discovered it was a terrific tool for anything on the outside of the piece.
It resembles a vary large bowl gouge but the cutting surface is flat and very little clearance. Compared to the rest of the tools I picked up it almost looks like a negative clearance.
I immediately fell in love with it.
If my description is enough to go on, anyone know what I have here. I can get you a pic if need be.

Roger Chandler
06-22-2016, 3:27 PM
Posting a picture of the tool would be far more helpful in identifying it for you.

Bill Jobe
06-22-2016, 3:34 PM
Here's a couple pics

Aaron Craven
06-22-2016, 3:36 PM
A picture would be helpful, but if I was to hazard a guess based on your description (which I didn't fully understand), I'd say spindle roughing gouge. I suppose it could also be a bowl gouge with a traditional grind on it.

Bill Jobe
06-22-2016, 3:38 PM
My sandpaper from the link given to me here just came to my door.
The wife will know where I'm at the rest of the day.

Wade Holloway
06-22-2016, 3:41 PM
That is a curved scraper.

Roger Chandler
06-22-2016, 4:09 PM
Yep...round nose scraper. Especially good for cleaning up the inside of a bowl....cut a little above the center line, and at about 40- 45 degrees for a shear scrape cut.

Aaron Craven
06-22-2016, 4:19 PM
+1 on round nose scraper. One of my go-to tools when I was first learning to turn.

Bill Jobe
06-22-2016, 6:52 PM
+1 on round nose scraper. One of my go-to tools when I was first learning to turn.

I can see why. I had a hard time putting it down.

Aaron Craven
06-22-2016, 8:31 PM
I can see why. I had a hard time putting it down.

You will eventually. It's a great tool, but when you get the hang of the skew (which I haven't) and the bowl gouge (which I have... sort of...), you'll find other tools can be just as much of a pleasure to work with.

If you like the round nose scraper, you may want to look into carbide tipped tools like the Easy Turning Tools stuff. I'm not a huge fan of them myself, but they are a little easier to learn and have gained quite a following.

Mark Greenbaum
06-22-2016, 9:11 PM
That even looks as though it already has the burr raised up, making it very useful, indeed. I have taken my HF round nose scraper and sharpened the left side similarly so I can drag it up and out on vertical walled bowls. I usually keep it flat, and level to center, but that's just me.

Reed Gray
06-23-2016, 1:14 AM
Round nose scraper with a rather blunt bevel, probably 80 or so, maybe more. I prefer 70. My go to tool for heavy roughing on bowls and just about anything else, and excellent for shear scraping cuts. I do use scrapers more than most...

robo hippy