PDA

View Full Version : My Nexus 7 died a horrible death!

Larry Browning
06-22-2016, 10:53 AM
I will not go into the details, but my Android tablet has bit the dust so to speak and will not be returning. I have a new Samsung Tab A on the way. I have several Apps installed on the old tablet that I do not want to reinstall on my new tablet. I have gone to the play store to try to remove these, but cannot seem to figure out how to do that without actually uninstalling them on the old tablet, which is completely dead and unusable. How do I get rid of these before transferring them to my new tablet?

And speaking of transferring my apps to my new tablet, exactly how is that done since my old tablet is DOA?

Mike Henderson
06-22-2016, 11:58 AM
I don't have an Android but in the iPhone world, you log on with your Apple id and everything is restored to your device. I only had one time when I reset my iPhone and when it came back, the applications were downloaded automatically. The rest I had backed up on my PC and I did a restore to get that.

It's been a while, but that's what I remember.

Mike

Larry Browning
06-22-2016, 1:16 PM
Hmmm, Maybe I am overthinking this, but from Google's point of view, what would keep me from just giving all my friends and family my google login info so they could have access to all the apps I have paid for?

Plus, my primary question has to do with restoring only some of the apps I have to my new device. I suppose I could restore them all and then uninstall the ones I don't want, but I was trying to avoid doing that.

I am not worried about any data I have stored on the old tablet. I didn't keep anything of importance on it, so that is a non-issue with me. I had some music, videos, and photos that are stored elsewhere that I might or might not want to put on the new one.

Robert Delhommer Sr
06-22-2016, 1:47 PM
Can you go ahead and install then should be able to remove from new tablet.

Larry Browning
06-22-2016, 2:13 PM
Can you go ahead and install then should be able to remove from new tablet.

That sounds like my only option at this point. Oh well, I was hoping to avoid downloading all those games my grandkids installed on it. My granddaughter has downloaded probably 50 or 60 of those dress up, makeup, Barbie, girly girl sort of thinks. And my grandson has downloaded all sorts of Batman, StarWars, and shoot-um up games. Just didn't want to go to all the trouble of uninstalling all that junk. Grandkids will be banned from Grandpa's new tablet!

Larry Browning
06-22-2016, 2:30 PM
It has turned out that the Nexus is not completely dead after all! The screen has been badly damaged and does not respond to touch at all. It appears that it will still charge, I can see the lock screen, but I can't unlock it at all. It has occurred to me that maybe I could hook it up to my PC via a usb cable and possible control it from there. Is that even possible? I will need to wait til I get home to try this though.

Graham Wintersgill
06-22-2016, 7:24 PM
There is an app called airdroid which lets you control your Android device from your PC but you will still need to install it and run it

Regards

Graham

Curt Harms
06-23-2016, 7:58 AM
That sounds like my only option at this point. Oh well, I was hoping to avoid downloading all those games my grandkids installed on it. My granddaughter has downloaded probably 50 or 60 of those dress up, makeup, Barbie, girly girl sort of thinks. And my grandson has downloaded all sorts of Batman, StarWars, and shoot-um up games. Just didn't want to go to all the trouble of uninstalling all that junk. Grandkids will be banned from Grandpa's new tablet!

Do grandkids need their own tablet(s)? Maybe the repaired Nexus? Phone screens can be replaced, is the same true of tablets? and does it make sen$e?

Larry Browning
06-23-2016, 9:35 AM
Do grandkids need their own tablet(s)? Maybe the repaired Nexus? Phone screens can be replaced, is the same true of tablets? and does it make sen$e?

Yes they do! They actually do have their own tablets, but it has been my experience that those get left at home about half the time. I am an old softy when my GKs ask for anything so they pretty much get what they want at my house. (I was pretty strict with their parents, but not so much with the GKs! It's no longer my job to raise them, I just enjoy them! Curt, do you have GKs? Just asking) I was secretly wanting a new tablet anyway, plus, Replacing the screen, will probably cost pretty close to the cost of a new one. I can get a refurbished Nexus 7 (not what I want now) for about $70. I don't know what getting the screen replaced would cost but I can't imagine it being much less than that (if not more!)
I think this new samsung has the multi user feature and also a kids mode, so I will probably be using that.
Anyway, my question has been answered, and I now have a plan. Albeit, not what I would prefer, but I will get it done.

Thanks for all the input.