PDA

View Full Version : WI - WW Classes recommendations

Grant Stevens
09-22-2005, 9:06 PM
Question for the south central Wisconsin woodworkers -

I am a relative beginner to woodworking - past projects include a crib, a toybox and a side table. I am interested in taking some courses to improve my skills and safety in the [hobbiest] workshop.

Has anyone taken woodworking classes at MATC or the Madison Woodcraft? If so, any feedback on them would be appreciated. Any other places in the south central Wisconin area that I should look into?

Thanks for your help,
Grant

Jeff Sudmeier
09-23-2005, 8:37 AM
Grant, Nice to see someone that lives close in the forum!

Anyway, I have never taken any classes at woodcraft, they are just a tad expensive for my taste. I have heard that they were good though.

I have heard that the class at MATC is great because you get access to GREAT machines, but that you don't learn much. Basically you are paying for access to the shop. (That is just what one of my buddies told me).

Dave Sweeney
09-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Grant, I've not personally taken any of the classes at the Madison Woodcraft but my wife has. She's recently developed an interest in scroll sawing and has taken two classes. They do tend to run a little on the expensive side but she walked away from both very satisfied. I do believe that they also limit the size of the classes in order to ensure that everyone receives plenty of one on one attention.

John Miliunas
09-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Grant, I must've missed earlier "Welcome" post, so first of all, "WELCOME" to the Creek!:) I'm not familiar with what MATC has to offer, but here's another vote for classes at Woodcraft. I've personally taken a multi-week class there and it was quite good. All the other comments I've heard regarding their classes are pretty positive, as well. The one in Madison does try to seek out WW's with a lot of experience in whichever class they're chosen for and, from my experience, they're NOT busy trying to sell you on WC equipment. BUT, for the turning class I took, you did get a 10% discount on any turning tools (sans motorized equipment) on each night of the class.:) :cool:

Grant Stevens
09-23-2005, 3:09 PM
Thanks to all of the fellow Cheeseheads for the advice - I'll try to checkout a Woodcraft class. Maybe they have some on Sunday afternoons so I will have a reason not to be at home yelling at the tv while the Packers continue their slide into mediocrity.

G

Dan Racette
09-23-2005, 4:00 PM
I have taken classes there and would highly recommend any with instructor Don Washow.

Dave Sweeney
09-23-2005, 6:27 PM
Call or stop in at the store and ask them to put you on their mailing list. Once a month, you'll receive a flyer in the mail that along with the monthly sale items also lists the schedule of upcoming classes.