PDA

View Full Version : Computers

Scott Boatner
06-21-2016, 8:58 PM
I'm going to be running Adobe Illustrator for my CNC and laser work, any preferences on laptops, Mac vs Windows, my CNC has a Windows unit installed, just trying to get the most bang for my bucks in designs and job control.

Keith Winter
06-21-2016, 9:04 PM
What laser? Some are more highly dependent on the computer for processing than others.

Lee DeRaud
06-21-2016, 9:26 PM
What laser? Some are more highly dependent on the computer for processing than others.Are there really any current machines for which that is a problem? Mine called for minimum 1GHz Pentium II when new in 2005 and I suspect even that was overkill. But now it's 2016: could run it off a Atom-processor netbook at this point. Just has to keep up with max USB2 I/O rates at worst.

(CNC is obviously another matter if you're pushing stepper pulses over a parallel interface, but that's a separate set of issues anyway.)

Keith Winter
06-21-2016, 10:00 PM
Chinese lasers use less of the computer (none if ran from the controller) compared to a trotec or newer universal machine that uses the computer for all the processing. That said, he also said he uses Illustrator which is a huge memory hog.

As to the second part of your question you can run a laser on any modern computer, however a slower machine means you spend more time doing tasks that aren't engraving. Engraving is what makes you, I, and everyone else in this forum money so if you spend $300 more to get a great machine vs a slower machine that's money well spent in my book.

Having recently upgraded from a Windows 7 2010 pc to a very nice new machine I can speak from experience I save about 20 minutes a day doing everyday tasks including running Illustrator. When you multiply that by 21 work days a month, that's about 7 hours a month I'm saving. So if my hourly rate is say $60/hr, that $300 upgrade over a basic machine just paid for itself in less than one month. By month two that extra $300 paid is actually making me money in time saved...

Doug Griffith
06-21-2016, 10:57 PM
Chinese lasers use less of the computer (none if ran from the controller) compared to a trotec or newer universal machine that uses the computer for all the processing. That said, he also said he uses Illustrator which is a huge memory hog.

It could be that I'm on a Mac but I've never found Illustrator to be a memory hog. It's a vector based program and runs like a charm on any system I've ever used (since v88).

I'm curious what CNC work can be done using Illustrator besides basic 2/2.5D stuff. Also, laptops typically don't have the same port options as towers. This could be a challenge.

Jim Coffee
06-22-2016, 9:17 AM
My Epilog is an older machine...the driver won't run on a 64 bit system. Had a bit of a challenge finding a 32 bit lap top...ended up purchasing two of them.

Bill George
06-22-2016, 9:27 AM
Unless you have another reason or already own, Illustrator is kind of overkill for laser engraving. Corel Draw is what most folks use on here.

I use Inkscape for my Diode Laser projects because of a Origin issue and it can create gcode files with the correct add on for that diode machine software.

Lee DeRaud
06-22-2016, 10:17 AM
As to the second part of your question you can run a laser on any modern computer, however a slower machine means you spend more time doing tasks that aren't engraving. Engraving is what makes you, I, and everyone else in this forum money so if you spend $300 more to get a great machine vs a slower machine that's money well spent in my book.Certainly true...if you're only going to have one computer. I have issues with putting the machine with the huge monitor, graphics tablet, surround sound etc (not to mention the custom-upholstered chair) out in the garage with the CNC or the back bedroom with the laser.

With the price of computers and ease of networking these days, there's no reason not to have dedicated machines for specific jobs.

Keith Winter
06-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Certainly true...if you're only going to have one computer. I have issues with putting the machine with the huge monitor, graphics tablet, surround sound etc (not to mention the custom-upholstered chair) out in the garage with the CNC or the back bedroom with the laser.

With the price of computers and ease of networking these days, there's no reason not to have dedicated machines for specific jobs.

Sounds like you have a sweet custom setup :)

Lee DeRaud
06-22-2016, 11:40 AM
Sounds like you have a sweet custom setup :)You know you're taking the whole thing too seriously when you design and build your own computer desk. :cool:

Dave Stevens-Vegas
06-22-2016, 4:20 PM
Unless you have another reason or already own, Illustrator is kind of overkill for laser engraving. Corel Draw is what most folks use on here.

I use Inkscape for my Diode Laser projects because of a Origin issue and it can create gcode files with the correct add on for that diode machine software.

For most I see Inkscape as being more than enough as long as the interface to your machine will work with it. We use Corel at the laser computer due to my wife being the most familiar with it. Depending on your requirements, working with transportable .eps files, how transparencies are handled, font matching, working with files from others, AI may make more sense.

John Noell
06-22-2016, 6:37 PM
You know you're taking the whole thing too seriously when you design and build your own computer desk. :cool:

I am pondering the "too seriously" part as I sit at my custom-designed desk. :) Efficiency! That's what is all about (I think).

Kev Williams
06-22-2016, 6:56 PM
Here is a layout of my home/work network....

Notice there's only ONE computer newer than all my XP's. There's a reason for this: XP's will run every machine I own and work wonderfully for what I do.
Whereas anything newer, such as my slug Win8.1, doesn't. It's the slowest computer I own, it won't run anything that can't be connected via USB, and won't load drivers for half the stuff that WILL run via USB. This includes my Quickbooks and HP office printer, not even those can be connected to my 8.1. And I really don't expect much better from Win10.

That all said, I DO have ONE Win7 computer that will run everything except my GCC laser, which doesn't have a 64bit driver.

I love my XP's... :)

Scott Boatner
06-22-2016, 6:56 PM
I'm looking at Illustrater for CNC router design, the Camaster router already has a Windows machine to run it, since the laser will basically run as a printer, does Mac vs Windows really matter with a new up to date machine. By the way, thanks for all the comments, I'm loving this engravers forum!

Dave Stevens-Vegas
06-23-2016, 2:57 PM
I'm looking at Illustrater for CNC router design, the Camaster router already has a Windows machine to run it, since the laser will basically run as a printer, does Mac vs Windows really matter with a new up to date machine. By the way, thanks for all the comments, I'm loving this engravers forum!

We have an all Mac operation (design, 3D printers, EDA, programming) except for the laser, router and plasma table. Software that requires Win (Corel, Inventor, AutoCad, Solidworks) runs on a virtual machine on the Macs. All the files are on the network where we can get to them from any of the machines or even VPN from outside the shop. I put together inexpensive Windows boxes for the tools that have Win only drivers (in the case of the router it's Linux).

Most of the lasers are going to use either Win XPS printer drivers or plugins that interface to the Win printing subsystem. Those can be problematic in emulation though some may work. Retina Engrave (FSL driver) did not work for me in emulation (ran but not connect), I had to install it on a native machine. The most expensive single part of Win machines is the license for the OS. If you've got some older Macs hanging around and want to run Bootcamp on them that's a possibility but I wouldn't buy new Macs for the primary machine for standalone CNC control.

Gerry Grzadzinski
06-23-2016, 3:15 PM
I'm looking at Illustrater for CNC router design,

Make sure that your CAM software of choice likes Illustrator files.

Dave Stevens-Vegas
06-23-2016, 3:31 PM
AI can output a variety of formats. I've used .eps or .dxf to export to CAM from AI. There is enough variety there shouldn't be an issue.

Ivan Pavletic
07-05-2016, 4:36 AM
If you want new computer, first you have to check if your laser software and laser drivers have support for newer windows. We had trouble when upgrading to win7 64 bit because we had to ask special drivers for Golden laser. Trotec had no trouble upgrading ;)
And yes, AI, Corel, what ewer software you use, you must to have much memory you can put in a computer. We have 8 giga rams on main computer for designs. Laptop for Trotec has 3 giga rams and has no trouble running with corel draw, Job control, Adobe illustrator, Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, total commander, Excel, word, skype all opened at the same time :) Even after 4 years it runs fine.