PDA

View Full Version : Woodtek® 13" Wide Belt Sander

John Miliunas
06-13-2003, 10:29 PM
So, anybody out there have one of these beasts? I'm considering one, but the WW Supply website doesn't get into a whole lot of detail about it. It's a wide belt, but the description makes it sound as though it still only has a single drum as the point of contact. A good WW friend (pro) of mine swears *against* any type of drum sander, totally in favor of wide belt units. Well, that's just fine if you've got a shop with several thousand sq/ft of space and the $$ to purchase one. I have neither. The Woodtek unit is much more reasonably priced and doesn't use up quite as much real estate. But, if it's simply, in effect, a drum sander with quick-change ability for the belt, it's not much of an improvement over a regular drum sander, in my way of thinking, anyhow. If that's the case, I think I'd go with the much less expensive Performax. Less hp, but more compact and leaves more $$ in the old tool account! Comments, suggestions, recommendations?

Paul Kunkel
06-14-2003, 11:43 AM
He's had nothing but trouble with it. New conveyor motors, switches, bearings, etc. Grizzly has the same unit. John, for a few more $$ you could have a 25"dual drum General and get some work done. Mine makes $$ for me on a daily basis from the locals that need something flattened.:D :D

John Miliunas
06-14-2003, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the insight, Paul. Unfortunately, the General is WAY out of my league in both, $$ and the floor space it takes up. If I had the room, I think I would just hang in there and keep saving until I could get a real wide belt unit. So, for the time being and, with the constraints I have, it looks like I'll have to keep an eye out for a good deal on the Performax. I've heard some reasonably positive things about it by WW's a whole lot more talented and skilled than I, so if it's good enough for them....:cool:

Bobby Hatfield
06-14-2003, 3:05 PM
John have you looked at the 18" Griz wide belt, I am trying to convince myself to go that way instead of drum sander, most door panels and most of my doors will fit and ripped faceframe material will fit, only thing I will be giving up is 32 inches in width and a few doors that will have to go through the stroke sander, cause the price is about the same.