PDA

View Full Version : Shop Project Complete (Pics)

Bob Noles
09-22-2005, 8:04 PM
I finally got around to finishing my flip top cabinet and thought I would share a few pictures. This is not "fine woodworking" by any means, but a great "utility" addition to the shop with limited space.

I studied several available plans and finally came up with my own version (dosen't everyone do this?) :rolleyes: It is constructed totally from borg materials. Sides and bottom are laminated double layer birch ply. Top is laminated triple layer birch ply. All 3/4 inch stock of course. Trimmed out in simple SYP and then all stained in golden oak Minwax. I wanted to experiment with a finish that I had not yet used so I went with Watco Teak oil, flooded twice and wiped down between applications. Then 2 coats of paste wax buffed out with my new electric buffer. Man that thing will save your arms even if I did only pay $20 for it :D

Please remember this was not meant to be fine woodworking nor pretty, but rather functional and heavey duty. I do believe the goal was achieved and I plan on starting a 2nd one for 2 other tools taking up more floor space than needed and can be combined into one footprint.

Oh.... btw.... why 2 drill presses? Don't ask.... it was Christmas :D

John Bailey
09-22-2005, 8:21 PM
First of all, I think it is pretty. Functional always is. It also looks solid. A job well done.

John

Joe Unni
09-22-2005, 8:23 PM
Too cool Bob!

-joe

Jim Becker
09-22-2005, 8:24 PM
I don't see any problems with that at all, Bob! And the birch looks great with your finish choice. (And it's easily renewable should you get a ding or three over time if you care about such things) Nice!

John A. Williams
09-22-2005, 8:39 PM
Nice Job!!! They look good and very functional. I need to build a couple of these also. Could you post some more pictures or describe the pivot and locking hardware/mechanisms.

John

Keith Burns
09-22-2005, 8:42 PM
Very nice job !

Bob Noles
09-22-2005, 9:05 PM
Nice Job!!! They look good and very functional. I need to build a couple of these also. Could you post some more pictures or describe the pivot and locking hardware/mechanisms.

John

John,

I kept it as simple as possible. The pivot is a 6" lag bolt with washers between both the bolt head and side wall as well as between the side wall and top. I used a small piece of pipe inserted into the hole drilled into the side for the lag bolt to slide thru so it could move around without damaging the hole in the side panel. Locking was just as simple with a hole drilled at each end of both sides (4) and then inserted a 4" inch long ring pin thru each hole. I picked these up at the borg.

Hope all this makes since, if not PM me and I'll try to explain better or shoot more pics for you.

Corey Hallagan
09-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Bob, that looks pretty kewl to me! I just may have to do that myself if I buy anymore equipment. Maybe side by side unit with four pieces flipping around like a double ferris wheel :). Great jog Bob!

Corey

Scott Donley
09-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Great job Bob, I have often thought of doing the same thing, just not as nice, and then I get confused? Planer-grinder? Scroll saw-CMS? CMS-Planer? Grinder-Scroll saw? Grinder-CMS? Six Pack Cooler-Planer? Good thing I’m not lucky enough to have two Drill Presses!

Looks GREAT, good job!

Sam Blasco
09-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Besides, you can never have enough drill presses. Heck, I've got three ~;}.. Anyone want to go for four... Well sort of... Bench top in the garage, and in the shop a floor press and a Euro-hinge drill & press.

And it is very attractive. Think of all the beautiful things it will assist in, too. Good job.

Von Bickley
09-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Bob,
That's a nice looking cabinet and a great looking shop.... :)

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Bob that is a great looking cabinet. I have one cut out to put together this weekend if my router makes it in so I can dado the bottom shelf. I am going to use a 1" wood dowel for the pivot. I also have 1/8" oak veneer cut out to put on the edges of the plywood. I am going to put on my 12" lunch box planer and my bench top 4" X 36" with a disc sander on the other side. I sure hope mine turns out as good as yours did.

Bernie

Bill Fields
09-23-2005, 1:14 AM
BOb_

Looks great and is a wonderful solution to space challenged Creekers (like me).

Plans? Magazine article?

I have a fairly heavy grinder setup, and a seldom used very heavy scroll saw that could find a useful home in something like that.

Good job!

Bill Fields

Bob Noles
09-23-2005, 6:36 AM
Thanks guys for all the nice comments. SMC folks are always kind and appreciative.

This project was an easy one, yet provided a good learning experience and a functional shop item in the end. I will be starting my 2nd one this weekend as I mentioned.

The main experience was in the finish and that is where I am focusing at this time.

TGIF

Jeff Sudmeier
09-23-2005, 8:19 AM
Bob, it looks great! I have always like the idea of the flip top stands. Means you can't keep a bunch of junk on them, and you can put more in a smaller space. Great job!