PDA

View Full Version : SawStop question

Kurt Kintner
06-21-2016, 9:09 AM
I have a 36 inch PCS.....
My wood floor is slightly uneven, and am constantly adjusting the feet
if I move the saw.....
Are these legs necessary ?? The 30 inch model doesn't have them....

glenn bradley
06-21-2016, 9:17 AM
Without them, how would you compensate? If you are asking if you should level the saw after moving the answer is yes IMHO.

David Gutierrez
06-21-2016, 9:23 AM
I have the same saw and yes I adjust the legs to level each time it is moved.

Kevin Womer
06-21-2016, 9:30 AM
I have the same saw and yes I adjust the legs to level each time it is moved.

Same saw, me too.

Frank Pratt
06-21-2016, 9:50 AM
I have the 3 HP PCS & 36" fence. Same problem & the legs are pretty flimsy so I took them off. Without them it's reasonably stable, but you don't want to put too much weight on the end of the extension.

I built a platform that is secured to the saw cabinet & extends under the extension. There are leveling feet that extend though the 4 corners of the platform & have knobs on them for easy adjustment. Now it's super steady & very easy to adjust.

Joe Kaufman
06-21-2016, 9:58 AM
Same saw also. I don't try to level the saw with the extension legs. IMO, if the cabinet is sitting on an uneven /unlevel surface, why put additional stress on the cast iron top through the attachment to the cabinet in an effort to make everything level. I just adjust until there is what feels like 20 lbs. on each foot.

David Gutierrez
06-21-2016, 10:25 AM
The legs are not attached to the cast iron top. they attach to the steel angle that the fence runs on. The weight is taken by the angles not the top.

Frank Pratt
06-21-2016, 11:02 AM
The legs are not attached to the cast iron top. they attach to the steel angle that the fence runs on. The weight is taken by the angles not the top.

But the top supports the angles. I agree with Joe. you just need to have the feet in contact with the floor so the saw is stable if you put some weight on the extension.

The platform I built transfers all the stress to the cabinet and supports the extension.

Bernie May
06-21-2016, 11:29 AM
I have the 3 HP PCS & 36" fence and I had a steel frame with wheels fabricated for it so I could readily move it without adjusting legs and be able to have a cabinet under the extension. I put a cast iron benchdog router table in place of the laminate accompanying extension.

Ben Rivel
06-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Have the same saw and thankfully I rarely have to move it. When I do I adjust the legs each time. I dont check for level, I just make sure both of the feet firmly touch the ground to support the extension.

Mike Henderson
06-21-2016, 11:47 AM
Have the same saw and thankfully I rarely have to move it. When I do I adjust the legs each time. I don't check for level, I just make sure both of the feet firmly touch the ground to support the extension.
That's what I do, also.

Mike

Erik Loza
06-21-2016, 12:41 PM
Thought: What if you replaced the little rubber feet on those support legs with a couple of leveling casters like Zambus?

That wouldn't necessarily solve the issue but might make it faster and more convenient when you do have to move it.

Erik

Bob Falk
06-21-2016, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=Frank Pratt;2577162]I have the 3 HP PCS & 36" fence. Same problem & the legs are pretty flimsy so I took them off. Without them it's reasonably stable, but you don't want to put too much weight on the end of the extension.

+1 I also removed the leg as I have my saw movable and it seemed to be always in need of adjustment....mounted an Excalibur overhead dust system to the fence rails and the saw is nonetheless stable on the mobile base....as was said, you can't put a lot of weight on it, but for normal operations, I don't have a stability problem.

Rob L. Jones
06-21-2016, 1:17 PM
Try just one leg. You should not have to level it and the saw won't fall over. If it works, maybe move the leg to the middle of the table end?

Kurt Kintner
06-21-2016, 2:18 PM
Thanx for all the feedback.... Honestly, I don't want to second guess SawStop's reason for
using them.... So, I guess I'll live with the little inconvenience .....
Hope you guy like yours as much I do mine.....
I've had it for a year, and it was worth every penny..... I was about to pull the trigger on a new
PowerMatic, until my wife asked me about the SawStop sitting next to it..... Case closed....

Prashun Patel
06-21-2016, 2:36 PM
I hate that little extension table. Mine is all delaminated. The only thing it's ever supported is my push stick. I wish I could remove that thing without having to cut my rails down. I'd prefer a smaller footprint for my entire tablesaw.

Frank Pratt
06-21-2016, 3:22 PM
I'm going to remove my extension table & build in a router table.

Ben Rivel
06-21-2016, 4:04 PM
I hate that little extension table. Mine is all delaminated. The only thing it's ever supported is my push stick. I wish I could remove that thing without having to cut my rails down. I'd prefer a smaller footprint for my entire tablesaw.
You could probably order a new one to replace yours for fairly cheap. Heck maybe they are not supposed to delaminate and SawStop might replace it for you under warranty or something. Never hurts to ask.

Prashun Patel
06-21-2016, 4:22 PM
Actually, that little table is useless to me. I never cross cut things that wide off the right side. In fact, I never undestood the usefulness of that table except to get the fence out of the way when I retract the blade and use the surface of my saw for assembly. I suppose cabinet makers love the capacity for sheet goods, but I tend not to use my ts that way.

Ben Rivel
06-21-2016, 4:32 PM
Actually, that little table is useless to me. I never cross cut things that wide off the right side. In fact, I never undestood the usefulness of that table except to get the fence out of the way when I retract the blade and use the surface of my saw for assembly. I suppose cabinet makers love the capacity for sheet goods, but I tend not to use my ts that way.
Oh I gotcha. Well if you dont need it take it off and cut the rails. Its not terrible difficult to do and youd save A TON of space around the saw. And its not like you cant rebuy the rails should you ever want/need to go back. Heck you could even keep an eye out for someone selling their 36" rails and pick up a backup set in case you wanted to switch back.

johnny means
06-21-2016, 6:17 PM
I never put any sort of support under my ICS's extension table. Though it was close enough to a wall to keep it from toppling of anyone ever put too much weight on it.