PDA

View Full Version : how to make relief or 3d engraving by co2 laser machine?

leland huang
06-21-2016, 4:18 AM
I once saw a wood relief engraved by co2 laser machine about 4 or 5 years ago. But now I haven't found this kind of co2 laser machine or software in China.
So it needs special software? Or just need relief or 3d pictures? Z axis should be same as CNC router machines?

Joe Pelonio
06-21-2016, 7:29 PM
I have done a few on wood, softer is better, using good grayscale artwork. One had a bunch of grapes that came out almost round. After several passes it will develop some relief. I have done some even on 1/4" oak that came out much like sandblasted signs. Most recently a crest for the podium for a country club meeting room. Sorry I have no pictures.

Mike Null
06-21-2016, 7:55 PM
As Joe indicated the trick is the artwork. Good quality grayscale art will produce 3d results--but it is a slow repetitive process. There are some youtube tutorials.

Braden Todd
06-21-2016, 8:16 PM
Definitely the image quality and power helps, as mentioned you need an image that goes from black to white and the laser adjusts the power based on the density of the black. This was done in one pass on my Kern.

Keith Downing
06-22-2016, 2:04 AM
Definitely the image quality and power helps, as mentioned you need an image that goes from black to white and the laser adjusts the power based on the density of the black. This was done in one pass on my Kern.

That's a nice result Braden. What type of wood did you use?

I've done a couple, and I do get a 3d effect. But, the black burned badly. Wondering if it was the power setting or the type of wood.

Dave Sheldrake
06-22-2016, 3:19 AM
Typical Chinese machines don't read grey scale images

Gene Uselman
06-22-2016, 10:32 AM
There is a good exploration of a Ruida control machine at this site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXIDwQxhX3k- also see Russ's video #58 for his previous experiments. Very smart guy. (not as smart as Donald... but who is?) Gene

Braden Todd
06-22-2016, 10:36 AM
The one I posted was done on maple, seems to work the best for the 3D engravings. The amount of detail in there is incredible, and the piece is only about 4"x4"

Ian Johnson
06-22-2016, 5:35 PM
My GWeike with Lasercut software will do it. Depth of cut doesn't scale linearly with the power setting however. If 100% power barely cuts all of the way through, 50% doesn't carve halfway through. You would need to use a power meter, or raster a bunch of squares to map out what % achieves each mm of depth, and adjust the greyscale levels to match.

Kev Williams
06-22-2016, 6:31 PM
My GCC has a 3D cut option, whereas it will add passes to the background portions, which should help with overburn (but I've never tried it). Would be nice to do in one pass, but one can only do so much with 35 watts! ;)

leland huang
06-22-2016, 11:28 PM
Thanks for all of you. i will try if we can use laserwork to get it after learn of your ideas. For grey scale image, our cnc router machine can read, but I do hope to make relief or 3d by laser machines.

leland huang
06-22-2016, 11:50 PM
anyone tried laser machines with CNC router system? autocad, artcam?
for cnc router machine, Z axis moves up and down to get deep and shallow engraving so that to get relief or 3d, but change to laser machine, it is the power output issue, when it needs to engrave deeper, then power output rate is bigger, vise versa. Surely we must get relief or 3d image. But anyway, the result is not as good as cnc router machine does, right?

Joe Pelonio
06-23-2016, 7:36 PM
The problem with las and z axis is focus. You might get more relief but less detail, without being in focus, and probably a lot of charring, even flames.

leland huang
06-24-2016, 3:12 AM
The problem with las and z axis is focus. You might get more relief but less detail, without being in focus, and probably a lot of charring, even flames.

Yes, that's a problem. For z axis, it must has right focus to cut or engrave. I think the better way is to control power output rate. But it is not easy to control.