PDA

View Full Version : Picture frames - Molded Corners?

Allan Speers
06-20-2016, 10:28 PM
I make the occasional frame for my Mother's oil paintings. Not my favorite thing to do, but it makes Mom happy, so...

but I'm very frustrated, because i can't replicate those fancy molded corners typically seen on expensive frames. I'm talking about this kind of thing:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31826742/Fancy%20Frame%20Corners.jpg

I've seen something on YouTube about making some kind of latex mold, using an existing frame, but that's a bit beyond my understanding right now.

It seems to me there must be some kind of commercially-made product, perhaps made of a flexible material, that one could cut to size, then bend onto the frame & glue in place. But heck if I can find anything liek this. I've been searching for weeks, and can't find a bloody thing.

Any ideas?

If not, how might you go about creating something like this?

Mel Fulks
06-20-2016, 10:43 PM
Allan, you sound like the guy who prints his own money just because the ATM is so complicated! Those moulding and casting products are easy to use and most of the companies have helpful reps. If there is any problem with those things it's too much choice. You tube probably has a bunch of help,too

Allan Speers
06-20-2016, 10:48 PM
Which ones? I can't seem to find anything simple. The vids I found were just "some guys" showing what they do badly. Something about latex, but not explained well, and nothing for sale.

Any specific suggestions?

Thanks.

Mel Fulks
06-20-2016, 11:00 PM
It's been many years since I had occasion to use any ,or I would gladly provide more detail now. The stuff was so good then you could easily reproduce finger prints. It's widely used for highly technical stuff, so I would do some googling and pick a company that caters to hobbyists. The biggest job I used it for was to make hundreds of modilion blocks for an 18th century church restoration from a mould from one of the originals.

John Gornall
06-20-2016, 11:45 PM
Bomar designs - soft gesso elements which are glued in place and then guilded. They can be shaped to fit.

Allan Speers
06-21-2016, 2:37 PM
Thanks, John.

Bomar has exactly what I was looking for.

Sweet !

It seems to me that the stuff Mel was referring to would be great for restoration, where perhaps one area was damaged & you had to make a mold from a good area. However that's a bit of trouble when making a new piece. the Bomar pre-made stuff seems simple. They even have glue already applied, which activates when you steam-bend the pieces. Nice.