PDA

View Full Version : On Safety - It's my understanding that ...

Steve Mathews
06-20-2016, 3:53 PM
One of the first observations of inconsistency regarding safety that I've experienced so far as a newcomer to wood turning is seeing accomplished wood turners wearing rings, watches, long sleeved shirts and gloves while running a lathe. I thought this was taboo for all machine operators. I just saw this in one of the AWA videos, which I believe was supposed to be vetted for safety issues. Am I missing something?

David Delo
06-20-2016, 4:01 PM
Sometimes it falls under the heading: Do as I Say and not Do as I Do.

Prashun Patel
06-20-2016, 4:05 PM
Thanks for reminding me. I typically never take my ring off, but you are absolutely right! Why no gloves, though?

John Teichert
06-20-2016, 4:11 PM
Thanks for reminding me. I typically never take my ring off, but you are absolutely right! Why no gloves, though?

Imagine the finger of a glove being sucked into a work piece at high speed (or for that matter low speeds). Same reason most turners won't use cloth on spinning lathe work.

John K Jordan
06-20-2016, 4:14 PM
And no safety glasses...

One think to keep in mind is the type of turning. The rings and sleeves are not nearly the issue when turning a shawl pin as they are when turning a table leg.

I remember a huge controversy years ago about using one hand to steady the work while turning. Another about wearing gloves. Both of these are perfectly acceptable under certain conditions. The controversy was centered around what a beginner might take away from what is OK for an expert, apply it inappropriately, and get hurt. The philosophical question is then should all practices which might be misunderstood or misapplied be taboo for all turners in public discussions? Should every post be accompanied by a safety warning?

To add to this, I found paper smocks that will tear away if caught. Nice to keep dust from cocobolo off the arms for those sensitive to it.

JKJ

Prashun Patel
06-20-2016, 4:14 PM
I guess I meant fingerless/workout-style gloves.

When I'm roughing dry wood, it can hurt by rest-hand.

Aaron Craven
06-20-2016, 4:33 PM
Jewelry, moving the tool rest with the machine running, gloves, and face/eye protection... all have a bad tendency of being ignored or forgotten. These rules should always be followed, but people (myself included) forget or become careless.

On the subject of gloves, though, I do wear a pair of close-fitting finger-less gloves in certain situations and just try to be careful. Shavings can be very sharp and very hot. It's a compromise, but I don't enjoy being burned.

Geoff Whaling
06-20-2016, 5:00 PM
One of the first observations of inconsistency regarding safety that I've experienced so far as a newcomer to wood turning is seeing accomplished wood turners wearing rings, watches, long sleeved shirts and gloves while running a lathe. I thought this was taboo for all machine operators. I just saw this in one of the AWA videos, which I believe was supposed to be vetted for safety issues. Am I missing something?

Steve,
What you have observed in the AAW videos does not surprise me at all! The AAW certainly does not vet all videos for compliance with recognized safe work practices and neither does the IWCS and many other organizations associated with wood turning / working. Youtube clips are also quite astounding. As a peak body the AAW's board is working towards the aim of having demonstrators present a more united front on basic safety principles however they face quite some resistance from old hands. People like Rob Wallace are working very hard towards that aim.

I have been a strong advocate for safety in wood working & turning and I see so many well respected and well known turners who fail on basic safety matters, things like you mention above. One of the worst at the moment is unrestrained long hair. Even medium length hair can be a hazard if a turner is in the habit of bending down to inspect the rotating work piece or to even pick up a dropped tool, bit of sandpaper etc.

Confession time - In over 45 years working with wood, the first few years as a professional chippie, then as my hobby I have always managed wood working / turning hazards well, nothing more than quite minor injuries (splinters, nicks etc) untill now! I have been trained well and I am very diligent minimizing risk and in the past 10 years managing my medical issues (cardiac) that cause bouts of vertigo. I only opperate machinery when my vertigo is under control, however I never quite know if it will flair at any particular time. I still wish to enjoy my hobby so I put all my ducks in a row to maximize my safety.

Exactly one week ago while taking very light trimming cuts to remove excess glue and to retrue square faces on approx twenty laminated pieces (300 x 50 x 19 or 12 x 2 x 3/4") using a well set up 150 mm (6") surface planer / jointer I experienced a bout of vertigo. The short story in my reaction I extended my left arm to balance myself but placed it where I shouldn't have, opening the "pork chop" style guard (as it is intended to operate) with my left index finger nipping the tips of it plus the next finger.

Conventional wisdom says I should not opperate machinery at all! I wish to enjoy life so I manage the risks very diligently - but that does not mean that I will totally eliminate risk.

The outcome could have been very different and much more serious but my diligence and attitude to safety certainly prevented a more serious injury which is what hazard and risk management is all about - managing risk to acceptable levels.

Unfortunately many role models in our craft are not so dilligent and do set a poor example with low standards of widely known, or at least previously widely known, safe work practices. It is a complex issue to resolve however tacit acceptance of poor examples does not help as you rightly mention.

Many wood workers / turners take unnecessary and totally avoidable risks! The injury outcome from something as simple and seemingly as innocent as hair, a ring, or a loose long sleve can be quite horrific and very life changing.

David Hill
06-20-2016, 5:02 PM
I use my hands in my line of work so I do use fingerless high impact gloves (from HF). Cushions the fingers and hands and blocks the hot shavings. Shirts with long sleeves (not cotton--shavings stick to that) that don't hang freely. Always/always wearing eye protection and breathing protection--either a Trend or facemask with a face shield.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-20-2016, 7:30 PM
OK since we're on the safety train, if you're just starting, I suggest you use and get used to that annoying cage that most of you probably have hanging on the wall. AAW suggested that you paint the cage flat black, which makes it way easier to see past the cage. I am 1 of 2 people that I know, that use the cage. The other is my friend I got hooked into this hobby. The cage has certainly saved me from several sections of bark that flew off when roughing...... Probably NOT a life saving save, but one that would have probably at least drawn some blood....... I always use the cage when roughing.

Also, about face shields/masks. Most are NOT projectile rated, so in addition to my Bionic Shield, I also use safety glasses. Prior to using both I have had shards bounce off my smock and hit me in my eye. Just an irritating hit, but it did stop me from turning while I washed my eyes out......

+1 on smocks, breathing protection and everything safety related. We all have 2 eyes and 2 lungs, but you need them both.

Be safe.... I want to be turning when I'm 90.