PDA

View Full Version : Fein Vacuum Question

Alan Turner
09-22-2005, 5:48 PM
I am considering a large vacuum for the new shop. Does anyone have any experience with the large Fein?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001VNWDK/ref=hi_de_a_smp/002-7140206-7770438?v=glance&s=hi&n=228319&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures

Thanks.

Bruce Page
09-22-2005, 8:02 PM
Alan, I have no experience with the big guy but I'm very happy with my turbo III.

Richard Wolf
09-22-2005, 8:03 PM
Alan, that is the mother of shop vacs with a price to match. How is the filter system, that always seems to be the weak link?

Richard

Alan Turner
09-22-2005, 8:15 PM
Richard,
From what I can see, it comes with the standard Fein cloth bag, 5 micron. It has an optional filter cartridge at 1 micron, about $40 extra. It is about $100 more than the Fein III, which I have in the basesment shop, and which is quiet and has been a good worker for me.

I'm just trolling to see if anyone has one, to get some feedback.

Jamie Buxton
09-22-2005, 8:52 PM
On the Fein USA site, the specs for this vacuum and the Turbo III seem identical except for the capacity of the canister. The motor power, the inches of vacuum, the sound level, the allowable controlled power, the microns of the filter -- they all are the same. I'll bet those trifty Austrian engineers are even using the same head for both machines. It seems you'd be paying that extra $100 to step up from 12 gallons to 18 gallons capacity.

Tim Sproul
09-23-2005, 4:28 AM
I'd opt for a Festool. The flat top on the Festool dust 'extractors' is good for more than putting systainers. You can put other things on there too while working.....IIRC, the fein is kinda domed on top and that precludes use of that footprint.

The wheels on the Festool are also good in that they run right over extension cords without ado.

I have the medium CT22.....and tried using the Fein for a bit. It works just fine...but the above perks are kinda nice. Nevermind that I opted for a bunch of other Festools.

Alan Turner
09-23-2005, 4:57 AM
Good catch, Jamie. I know I should not make assumptions, but I assumed it was more powerful. Oh well.

lou sansone
09-23-2005, 5:39 AM
Hi alan

I have the turbo III and have used it for several years and it is just great. I would highly recommend it or the one you are looking at.

lou