PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Workbench Top??

Michael Stockdale
06-20-2016, 10:47 AM
Hey Guys... Need your expert opinions here...

I am building a workbench that hopefully will serve me for many, many years... I have the top glued up in two 12" wide pieces (3.5"+ thick, and 72" long). I am building a sled for my planer to take out about 1/8" of twist in one of the bench halves and will soon glue it up into a 24" wide top. A friend of mine has a large cabinet shop with a 36" planer and he has offered to plane and finish sand the top for me. I am worried that if I let him finish sand it, I will destroy my plane blades when I inevitably need to flatten/re-flatten the bench top.

So, the question... should I skip the finish sanding and just have him plane the top to desired thickness? How much "damage" would I be doing if he did finish sand the top? Could I just hit it with a scraper and be ok?

Thanks for your expertise...

Michael

Caspar Hauser
06-20-2016, 11:04 AM
I'd take him up on it.

If you are worried about grit from sanding then don't sand it. If you fancy scraping, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

As far as 'damage', from sanding on your plane blades it would probably negligible, you may have to sharpen a blade, not a big deal at all.

Have at it.

CH

Michael Stockdale
06-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Caspar,

I like the sound of that... The finish produced by sanding the top is really nice (he does butcherblock maple countertops that look awesome). I am hoping that everyone will agree that, after the first re-flattening, the grit will not be a problem... It's just that I have always heard to never follow sanding with a hand plane. :)

Joe Kasier
06-20-2016, 11:38 AM
Caspar,
It's just that I have always heard to never follow sanding with a hand plane. :)

I Have never heard that before. Why would it be a problem?

Rob Luter
06-20-2016, 11:40 AM
My benchtop went through a wide belt sander and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Mine is maple and it didn't pick up any appreciable grit. It's about 8 years old now and based on the way it wears it will be another 25 before I'll even need to think about flattening it.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2583/4103275307_f30a5080da_b.jpg

Mel Fulks
06-20-2016, 11:40 AM
The grit stuck in the wood will dull the plane verry fast

Caspar Hauser
06-20-2016, 12:15 PM
If it bothers you, then vacuum the sanded top using a brush attachment. Perhaps wipe it down with a dampened cloth. If, on re-flattening, your plane blade becomes dull then it's just another sharpening event.

The grit stuck in the wood will dull the plane verry fast

Just another sharpening opportunity.

Have fun making things!

CH

Robert Hazelwood
06-20-2016, 12:47 PM
I suppose the grit from the wide belt sander could dull your planes a bit faster when you recondition the top, but I don't think it's a big deal. After the first round of through-shavings the grit will be gone. It might amount to an extra sharpening vs. what you would have done otherwise.

But I don't see the need to finish sand it in the first place. I'd let him run it through the planer for sure- that will save you a bunch of work. But since you apparently have some hand planes, why not just take out the planer ripples with those? It would be an easy job. You could even just leave the planer ripples if they're not egregious- some texture to the bench top can be useful, and some people deliberately roughen up the top to improve workholding.

Michael Stockdale
06-20-2016, 1:26 PM
Thanks guys... I think I will wait and see what the surface looks like coming out of the planer... If it's relatively smooth, I will just take my #7 to it and call it good. Otherwise, I will let him sand it smooth.

I appreciate the input! I love this place!

John Sanford
06-20-2016, 2:33 PM
Definitely take him up on the offer to plane it. I would also have him sand it, but not "finish sand". I wouldn't sand past 80 grit, you want a "rough" (ish) surface, not a super smooth surface. If planing to 80 only is going to mean he has to change belts or such, then skip it, you can simply knock any planer ripples off with a hand plane.

Prashun Patel
06-20-2016, 2:45 PM
I'd have him finish sand it. I haven't found a roughed top to be any more usable than a slick one. It's dogs, stops, and hooks that prevent things from moving. A smoother surface will take less oil or oil/varnish to seal it, and will remove any scallops from the planer. All these things will just make your bench look and feel better under your fingers. So I'd do it for the aesthetics.

Tom M King
06-20-2016, 5:01 PM
Utility knife blades make decent scrapers that you can just toss when dull, and not worry about there being anything there to damage an edge that requires time to make. Just hand hold it straight up on edge. It'll take any grit out, and smooth the surface at the same time.