PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
06-20-2016, 10:30 AM
20 June 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
This was Father's Day weekend and I didn't have to work at the day job. A welcome break to be able to get stuff done around the house and spend time with the family.
I spent Saturday helping the Son-In-Law and daughter remove a broken back door to their house and re-frame a new doorway and install a new door. Strained my already touchy left shoulder and I got a good talking to by the physical therapist this morning. :(

Sunday was recoup time, spending time with family, eating home-made calzone's, eating with family, and enjoying time with family at home. They took me to Andy's Frozen Custard and I got a Blackberry Concrete. Talk about AWESOME!!!! All in all, it was a good Father's Day. I still miss my dad and my FIL. I lost both of them far too early.

Back at the grind today....so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Charles Taylor
06-20-2016, 11:00 AM
Miter saw dust hood 2.0. Not perfect, but a definite improvement over 1.0.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2016, 11:14 AM
Currently visiting in Visalia, CA. 3 grandkids, DIL, wife and I attended the movie "Finding Dory " in 3D. Then we had a late lunch or early dinner at Red Robin.

The grandkids are out of school for 3 weeks. We are sitting them this week while one of the twins has her recently broken arm looked at by her sugeon. If things go well, she'll get the cast off, pins removed and a splint applied. Then the 6 year old twin granddaughters will return to Idaho with us. Their Mom and 4 year old brother will join us a week later. After a 2nd week with us, the twins with their Mom and younger brother will return home to start school again.

Bruce Page
06-20-2016, 1:04 PM
A good friend is hitting the big 60 next weekend so I spent some time on the cnc.
The "All Original Parts & Pieces" is a bit of a stretch.. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2016, 1:36 PM
Nicely done Bruce!

John Sanford
06-20-2016, 2:29 PM
Saturday, my son took me to over the mountain to a place rumoured to have some of the best burgers in the state. The burgers were pretty good, but unfortunately the place was PACKED. Kicked around and relaxed the rest of Saturday.

Sunday was shop time, Micro-projects. I worked on 4 of 'em.

#1 was making dividers for my miter cart drawer. I used some ripped scrap from my recent bed build for the dividers, did the entire thing using hand tools only, tacked it in to the drawer using hot melt glue. The "half lapped" divider junctions weren't very good, but the end result is adequate for the purpose of keeping miter saw stuff from sliding around willy nilly in the cart. I sorta kinda fudged using my bench hook for both crosscutting the components and shooting them. The experience is moving a shooting board up the project list.

#2 was adding a shelf to hold tool rests and such to my mini-lathe cart. Again, just used scrap for it, some pine and a small piece of Baltic Birch that was salvaged from a former project. No longer will my tool rests hang out on the top of the cart directly underneath the lathe.

#3 was a storage scheme for disks for my angle grinders. The original plan was to make some small boxes out of whatever was handy, and then put the boxes into the ToughBox that houses the 4.5" grinders. When I started working out how everything would fit into the ToughBox, I concluded that it wouldn't. So.... looking at the interior of the ToughBox I noted that there were ribs, and decided to make a divider that used the ribs to stay in place. Grab a small piece of hardboard, measure, a couple of cuts on the tablesaw, some more scrap, some Titebond Extend (first glue grabbed, plus it WAS 90+deg in the garage) and voila, divider almost done. I just have to trim it up tonite and pop it into place, then in goes the disks and another annoying storage issue is solved. (Now if only the 7" angle grinder fit into the ToughBox :mad: ).

#4 is an ongoing micro-project, the de-weaponization of 6" and 12" Mini Quick-Grips. "De-weaponization? What the heck does that mean?" If you've ever lost a chunk of flesh to the end of a Quick-Grip that projected into the path of a hand or arm, you know exactly what it means. I took a dozen of 'em to the Rigid OSS/Belt Sander and rounded the ends off, then shot the shiny ends with some black spray paint. While I'll always be at risk of smacking the projecting ends of clamps, that dozen will have to work a lot harder to draw blood in the future. I've got another dozen or so Minis to do, plus a passel of full size Quick Grips and Jorgie ISDs that will get the same treatment.

After I was done in the shop for the day, my son and I did our good deed and relocated a baby bird that had fallen out back to it's nest.

Rod Sheridan
06-20-2016, 2:44 PM
Hi, since it was Father's Day weekend we were camping in Paris (Ontario) for the annual vintage bike rally.

The weather was warm, saw many people I only see at this event, had a great time.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. here's a photo of a 1926 Nimbus, 750cc, 4 cylinder inline with shaft drive. My friend Ed owns it, and another Nimbus. These are Danish bikes built by Nilfisk/Fiskars.

He also has a vintage Nilfisk vacuum, very similar to the Nilfisk GS80 we have at work. Sadly, only the vacuum manufacturing continues to this day.

Jim Becker
06-20-2016, 8:46 PM
My weekend started on Friday afternoon...I took a few hours of "discretionary time off" to cut up and clear a walnut tree that came crashing down on our front lawn during a little "microburst" of wind last weekend. (We were out working the beehives when it came crashing down about 75' away from us...) That was followed by lawn mowing. Saturday afternoon was spent in the shop working on some additional hive parts that Professor Dr. SWMBO requested and some other general activities since I lazed around in the morning and it was too hot to do much outside at that point. Sunday morning, I weeded the herb garden and did some more weeding and stone "mulch" application until the heat and humidity did me in...and then relaxed for the remainder of my 10th Father's Day.

Gary Cunningham
06-20-2016, 9:03 PM
Did the cookout thing with my dad & family.
Went to Woodcraft to browse the remnants of scratch & dent sale.
For $5.00 I bought a four foot long 2 man crosscut saw. Made in England, just needs handles & it will be good for hours of father/son time.

Found a pair of 'set screw' dividers at a flea market. Marked 'PS & W Co'.

Robby Tacheny
06-21-2016, 8:41 AM
Saturday - 9 Mile Kayaking Trip

Sunday - Father's Day cookout and more shop reorganization. After many years I finally got around to adding a shelf to the bottom of my assembly table.

Robby