PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation wanted on Gas powered Leaf Blower

George Bokros
06-20-2016, 7:41 AM
Want to get one. I am getting older and I want to make collecting the leaves easier than raking. I have read some reviews on various websites and every make has some negative reviews. Can someone comment / recommend one they have used and how it performs etc.

Thanks

John Lanciani
06-20-2016, 7:59 AM
Stihl BR600 here, only because Stihl doesn't make a 700. ;) Reasonably quiet, very powerful, and completely reliable. Whatever you get, consider the fact that at some point you will need parts or service; buying from a local reputable shop will make both of those things easier.

George Bokros
06-20-2016, 8:05 AM
Should have said I would prefer not to have a backpack blower. Thinking about if the wife uses it, a backpack would not work for her.

Sean Troy
06-20-2016, 8:13 AM
Stihl BG 86. Hardest part was learning to start it. It's easier than most. Prime fuel bulb. Choke it, short pull, off choke, short pull-starts/run. I was used to long pulls and was pulling the start cord like it was a B-17. I was used to other small engine tools. I also use the Stihl Synthetic Fuel. Never have to worry about oil or storage.

Rich Riddle
06-20-2016, 8:26 AM
I use the 30cc Husqvarna backpack model and love it. It takes neglect since frequently it goes nine months or more without being used or emptied. Starts on the first series of pulls every time. Neighbors always want to borrow it. If I was going handheld, a friend owns a Stihl that works quite well. As far as parts availability goes, if you stick with either Stihl or Husqvarna you will be fine. Honestly, most of the time the dealers order parts if they are needed anyway. I always see folks at the Stihl dealer complaining about the store not having the parts in stock.

Tom M King
06-20-2016, 8:32 AM
Billy Goat on wheels. I have a 13 hp that clears about an 8 foot swath in one pass including sticks and rocks, but they do make smaller, lighter ones.

http://www.billygoat.com/Product-Categories/List/force-wheeled-blowers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8jW9_JCr14

Larry Frank
06-20-2016, 9:18 AM
I have the Stihl BG50 and very happy with it. We use it for a lot of things but leaves in the fall the biggest use. We use it to blow leaves out away from beds, trees, house to make it easier to pick up. I also use it at times to blow I w light snow off the steps and sidewalk. It was one of the best purchases for the yard that we have made.

BOB OLINGER
06-20-2016, 9:43 AM
We have a Stihl and love it. Best part is that my wife has claimed it; uses it all the time. So, given she can start, run it, and be satisfied, can't go wrong.

Jim Koepke
06-20-2016, 12:51 PM
My recommendation would be to wait until all your neighbors are awake before getting out in the morning and blowing leaves around.

jtk

George Bokros
06-20-2016, 2:27 PM
My recommendation would be to wait until all your neighbors are awake before getting out in the morning and blowing leaves around.

jtk

Suggestion noted.

John Lanciani
06-20-2016, 3:25 PM

jtk

My neighbors use a lawn service that thinks it's ok to go full bore at or before 7AM (on my day off :mad:). I figure that means its ok for me to do whatever I want to do at 7:00 on their days off too...

Shawn Pachlhofer
06-20-2016, 4:06 PM

jtk

I like to wait for neighbors to get up and leave for work.

then I blow the leaves over to their yard.

sure makes my life easier.

:D

Pat Barry
06-20-2016, 4:13 PM
DOn't get a Craftsman. I got one several years ago for a fathers day gift and I kept it because I didn't want to hurt my kids feelings. That POS has been nothing but trouble. Its very hard to start cold and to make matters worse, if it quits running when hot it won't restart without a great deal of trouble. Then the things is loud and doesn't have much power to boot.

Tom M King
06-20-2016, 4:25 PM
Our closest neighbors are two dog barks away, and there are always fishing boats with big motors going early any morning, rain or shine.

Bill Orbine
06-20-2016, 5:17 PM
You not saying how much leaves or property size. The choice of leaf blowers is largely dependent on the work load.

For me with a large property surrounded by mostly tall oaks.... a Billy Goat F902S 9hp blower along with Stihl BR600 backpack gets the job done each fall weekend. The back gets the leaves away from house, landscaping and tight spots while the roller blows takes the leaves back to the forest. Literally, I move enough leaves each weekend to fill a big box truck in 2-3 hours.

What I use is probably more than what you need, I suspect.

Dave Lehnert
06-20-2016, 5:20 PM
I have used a Husqvarna for 3 or 4 years now without problem.
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-28cc-2-Cycle-Heavy-Duty-Handheld-Gas-Leaf-Blower/3029455?store_code=2649&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-OutdoorPowerEquipment-_-Blowers-_-3029455:Husqvarna&CAWELAID=&kpid=3029455&&kpid=3029455&k_clickID=29ce70c9-c448-4b6b-943f-594fd2b14895

Dennis Peacock
06-20-2016, 5:45 PM
I use Echo backpack blower. Works really well and dependable. I like Echo stuff. :)

Gerry Grzadzinski
06-20-2016, 7:21 PM
I bought the 4 stroke Makita about 2 months ago, and really like it so far.
Incredibly easy to start.

It replaced an Echo I got from Home Depot that I got tired of replacing the carburetor on.

Bill Bukovec
06-20-2016, 9:38 PM
I have a Stihl and it's great. For shredding leaves, I don't use the bag. I made a screened top for a 60 gallon rolling garbage. I connect the output of the blower to the screened top with a 4" dust collection hose.

Matt Meiser
06-20-2016, 11:09 PM
Backpacks are actually easier to use IMHO--less weight you are carrying at the end of your arm. Getting it on might be hard though. When I kept it in the garage I used to set it on my truck tailgate for starting and could bend my knees and get it on pretty easy.

I have a bigger Husqvarna that came with the zero turn I had bought for the old place. I already had a Stihl but the Husky was slightly more powerful so I kept it and sold the Stihl. I'd recommend either, with the caveat that whatever you buy, buy it from a servicing dealer who will tune and set it up right.

I had an Echo handheld for several years and the backpacks were a big step up in power and comfort. My wrist used to really hurt after using the handheld for an hour or so. It was a good machine though.

Robert Engel
06-21-2016, 7:43 AM
If the property accomodates, I suggest take a look at an electric model. Be cautioned they are not much quieter than a gas powered, but plenty of power.

I had 2 Echo's neither one lasted more than 3 years. Maybe because I didn't use them enough.

Most of the lawn service guys I know use Stihl products.

Ole Anderson
06-21-2016, 8:36 AM
Stihl BG65, probably had it 10 years now. Used every week to clear drive and decks of tree debris.As far as leaves,I don't rake, only blow where I cant get my JD Z425 with a power bagger. Hate raking leaves. We have curbside bagged lawn clippings/leaf pickup. I agree with others, if you have anything but a tiny yard and want to blow your leaves, get a walk behind blower or backpack.

John K Jordan
06-21-2016, 8:45 AM
Should have said I would prefer not to have a backpack blower. Thinking about if the wife uses it, a backpack would not work for her.

I have two backpack blowers. I loaned the smaller Stihl to my son and his wife uses it. It is fairly light weight and easy to use. The one I use is a Shindaiwa - it is much heavier but so powerful, leaves, limbs, rocks, bricks, would probably knock my dog over. I love it but it's probably too heavy for your situation. Perhaps you could visit a store and try some on.

I've had and used hand-held blowers - my opinion is those with gasoline engines they are too heavy except for short periods. The electric model I had was far lighter and had plenty of power. The disadvantage is you have to trail a long cord. A big advantage is you you don't have to mess with fuel, oil, spark plugs, air filter, starting, hot exhaust, and noise.

JKJ

Mike Cutler
06-21-2016, 10:45 AM
I use Echo backpack blower. Works really well and dependable. I like Echo stuff. :)

+1
I have the Echo backpack model. It works well, but it can be a little cumbersome to strap on, so I set it on my truck, or work bench and step into it.

Dennis
I agree, they're dependable. I have an Echo 660 chainsaws from the mid 80's. I do nothing to that chain saw, and it still runs great. Sometimes it will sit for months, and months, maybe years. Fill it with gas, check the Bar oil, and go. My Echo weed whacker is the same way.
That's why I bought an Echo backpack blower. ;)

Mike Lassiter
06-21-2016, 11:22 AM
something else you should consider, is what the ratio of oil to fuel is if you have other equipment that requires mixing oil additive in the fuel. You would be wise to get a blower that runs the same mix ratio. I have 3 Stihl machines that all use 50:1 mix. We had a huge leaf blowing project, that started out with rakes. Quickly realized we would never finish with rakes. I wanted another Stihl , but the store was closed - around 3 on a Saturday afternoon. Ended up with an Echo backpak blower. The largest or next to it they had. it also uses 50:1 mix so I still only have to keep one mix ratio fuel.
Years ago I ran one tank of 50:1 fuel in a 40:1 weedeater. Before that tank was used up, I noticed a big loss of power. Only after running out of fuel and realizing what I did, and putting the correct fuel in the tank did the consquences become apparent. Pulling the rope the engine had a rattling sound, and refused to start. I removed the sparkplug and shined flashlight into the hole to see a gaulled cylinder wall.
Having only one fuel mix will elimated any chance of ruining an expensive engine. My weedeater was junk, saved for parts for the new replacement. I had an attachment for it that I needed at the time, and it made more sense to replace that weedeater than buy another and additional attachment too.
The Echo backpak blower I got is a beast. Somewhere around $600 I don't recall exact price. We used it to blow leaves up on property we have, then ran all of those leaves through a shredder and worked them into our small garden. We finished up with 6 long bed truck loads of shredded leaves, all I could load on it with tractor & frontend loader.

Mac McQuinn
06-21-2016, 1:58 PM
I've had a Stihl handheld for several years and while it's light and reliable, I was tired of the noise and mixing oil/gas. I purchased a Dolmar handheld a couple months ago and love it. It's a 4 stroke, very, very quiet. It's a bit heavier than the Stihl although well balanced. Starts 1st or second pull. runs like a clock and it's very smooth.
Mac

Ralph Okonieski
06-21-2016, 8:20 PM
I love my Stihl. Not sure of the model. I use it as a vacuum in the fall to chew up fallen leaves and reduce volume. Works great.

Robert Payne
06-21-2016, 8:26 PM
For smaller leaf blowing jobs and grass clipping cleanup, I use the same small hand-held Husqvarna that Dave Lehnert recommended. I've had it for about 3-4 years and it has been very reliable, with light weight (suitable for SWMBO use) and easy starting. It puts out a strong stream of 120 MPH air that gets the job done. I also have a bigger blower on wheels powered by a Briggs & Stratton engine that will move the big piles of leaves when the fall foliage drops.

Brian Elfert
06-22-2016, 12:02 AM
I have a Stihl backpack blower that doesn't get much use at my new house. I found that a blower took just forever to move large amounts of leaves. I tried blowing the leaves on my small front lawn and gave up after a couple of hours. I started bagging them with my mower and then dumping them in a trailer and hauling them to local disposal site.

I think you'll find that a non-backpack gasoline leaf blower will get heavy after using it for a while.