PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 hardwood for wood Crates

Noah Grant
06-18-2016, 3:39 PM
I am locally trying to find 1/4 inch wood to make simple crates. I know I can purchase crates already made but that wont work for what I am doing. I am having a hard time finding an economical wood (pine) already cut down to 1/4 inch. Will I most likely have to cut it down myself? I can only find 1/2 inch in the home depot / lowes and that makes the crates heavy. I would also like to find 1/4 by 8 inch tall to make more of a wood box rather than a crate look as well. Can someone lead me in the right direction or do I need to invest in a good band saw?

Lee Schierer
06-18-2016, 8:44 PM
It would help if we knew where you are located.

My local hardwood supplier stocks 1/4" material in several species. 339398 However, if you have resaw capability and a planer, you can get twice as much wood for the same price by resawing 3/4" material.

Don Jarvie
06-18-2016, 9:02 PM
Find some pallets and cut them up. You can plane them down once you get the nails out.

Raymond Fries
06-18-2016, 9:07 PM
How about 1/4" plywood? You can get it with hardwood veneer on it if you want a more refined look.

Good Luck...

Frederick Skelly
06-19-2016, 7:16 AM
How about 1/4" plywood? You can get it with hardwood veneer on it if you want a more refined look.

Good Luck...

This is a good idea. I recently saw some crates made this way and they looked sturdy to me. The only downside I saw is that you cant let them get wet (delaminates). But the guy I saw used the inside only and they worked well.

Danny Hamsley
06-19-2016, 7:38 AM
Find a local sawyer with a portable band mill. They can saw exactly what you need. I would do it for you if you were closer.

John K Jordan
06-19-2016, 7:44 AM
...or do I need to invest in a good band saw?

If you do anything with wood a good bandsaw is a great idea - it is one of the safest and most versitile power tools.

Do you just want to make a few? Do you know anyone with a bandsaw and a planer? Resawing some 3/4" boards into halves and running them through a planer would be very quick. If you want to go into production it might be better to get the tools. Then you'll have them for the next project.

JKJ

Michael Dye
06-19-2016, 8:17 AM
Just spitballin' here, but it sounds like you're trying to make miniature shipping crates. Doing it without a bandsaw will be tough, although not impossible. You could resaw some 3/4" material on the tablesaw, but pine can be very unstable while cutting. Be careful. Look on Craigslist. I've seen 10" saws for as little as a C note. Long term, I agree with all of the previous posters. Get a bandsaw, you won't regret it. Good luck.