PDA

View Full Version : Stanley No.150?

steven c newman
06-17-2016, 5:14 PM
Rust Hunt today.....A Stanley No. 150 Mitrebox..$1

Needed a saw ( already had one) and looks like a bit of clean up
Some of the bolts are either missing, or just wrong. Will have to look one of these things up to find out. Most of the screws that (almost) hold the deck on are missing.

As for the rest of the pile...$7.50 for two block planes and a Jacobs 1/2" chuck key, with a 2' long chain. Getting tired of keys that fly away....:eek:
Not sure what that bolt in back is for..
Bolt has a loose fitting wood knob. Doesn't seem to fasten anything.....

Not too hateful a day....

John Vernier
06-17-2016, 11:44 PM
That bolt in back with the wooden dowel piece is just something for the saw's teeth to land on - the dowel is supposed to be loose and roll with the saw blade. I have one of these where the dowel is worn down to a nub, but it's nothing special to replace. The point of this type of miter box is that it can take any sort of saw, doesn't have to be a back saw. I don't find it to be as accurate as the two-guide boxes, but it's light and portable, and once you develop the right touch with it it's not a bad tool.

steven c newman
06-19-2016, 9:53 AM
Ok, I'll leave it a bit loose. Have everything apart, now. Guides have been taken out, and polished up. Thumbscrew might be a hair too short, will get a longer one next time I'm out and about.

Deck thickness? Thinking maybe 1/2" thick?

Numbers? Maybe add some red to make them stand out better, or at least where I can read them to see what angle I have?

Swiel point wobbles a bit, might be worn? Any way to tighten it up?

There wasn't any stops included, manual shows a bent and slotted thingy that bolts (?) to the upright fence? Still made? Or, do I have to make one?

steven c newman
06-20-2016, 9:49 PM
Pattern for the deck is made. base is free of rust, and a coat of black Rustoleum applied..
Need to work on the rest of the parts...and find some RED paint. May add the red to the degree numbers as well...

pattern is 1/2" pine plywood, awaiting some decent 1/2" hardwood. Not too worried about a depth/length stop right now....

steven c newman
06-21-2016, 4:09 PM
may just leave the plywood in place. The rest of the mitrebox has been cleaned up. Black paint where needed. And......somehow all over my fingers....grrrr.

A bit of Duplicolour RED as needed. Again, now I have a "red" finger. Waiting on both paints to finish drying. May just sit them outside in the sun for a while.......

Re-assembly after things are all nice and dry. The degree setting numbers are now also red, so I can at least see them. Maybe by tomorrow, I can post a few pictures of this thing

BTW: I still have two block planes to rehab, and a #5 Jack plane....busy,busy,busy....

steven c newman
06-21-2016, 6:18 PM
All spiffified up...
Red of the lettering, since that was what it had when I got it...
Doesn't look all that bad.....Saw was one I already had, seemed to fit the bill....

Currently sitting outside in the sunshine, baking the paint to finish things up...without messing up the Boss' oven, and getting me hurt....of course....