PDA

View Full Version : The top wheel on Jet band saw came unglued

lowell holmes
06-17-2016, 9:30 AM
The top tire on the bandsaw came off rather suddenly.

I bought new tires and proceeded to install them. As recommended, I took the top wheel off.

The inboard bearing remained on the shaft. When I attempt to insert it back in the wheel, it
will not go in the wheel. I think it will have to be pressed in.

As a matter of caution, I have a new bearing coming. It will arrive today.

Any words of advice will be appreciated. What concern should I have if I take the wheel
and bearing to a shop and pay them to press the bearing in. Is the bearing supposed to be a pressure fit?

Tom Trees
06-17-2016, 10:56 AM
Hello Lowell
I replaced the bearings on my 24" ACM saw some time ago
I did get the lend of a bearing puller and if I remember correctly I had to make a wooden dowel or was it a tube aswell ? must have been for seating the bearing on to the shaft
The main rule ....press bearing onto a shaft with pressure on the inner race
Therefore bearing pressed into a wheel with pressure on the outer race
I tried some methods that I seen in a video by Jack Forsberg ..he has videos on the subject .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocsnUBYEyuM
From my experience it was harder to get them out (mabye it was one which was stiffer than the other ?)
Go to a mechanic friend and get a bearing puller ...there not too delicate of a tool to get a lend of or use for the first time,
and its a quick job
or watch the video and prepare some stuff that you need to bring with you
Good luck
Tom

lowell holmes
06-17-2016, 11:44 AM
Thanks Tom,
My tire came off when I started a cut and created the problem. It was a scary incident. When I took the wheel off to install the new tire, the bearing was left on the shaft.
When I tried to put the bearing into the wheel, it did not go in easily. I will have to press it in. I decided that I want to replace the bearing because I don't know if it was damaged.

I was able to order a replacement bearing from Amazon and it will arrive today. I think I will take it to a shop that has a press and have them press it in. I guess I'm surprised
that it requires that. Should lubrication be put on the surfaces prior to pressing the bearing into the wheel socket?

I have a wooden dowel I used to put the new tire on the wheel.

Mike Gresham
06-17-2016, 2:39 PM
I used to replace the bearings in model airplane engines by using a socket that was about the same diameter as the outside race. Put a wooden block on the socket so you don't damage the socket and tap it in with a hammer. The center of the wheel would need to be supported so you don't bend or break the wheel.

On the small engine, if it was very tight, the engine case (aluminum) would be heated to 250F and the bearing put in the freezer for an hour. The bearing would practically fall into place then. I don't know if that would work on a band saw or not.

Goog luck.