PDA

View Full Version : jet mini

Rich Stewart
09-22-2005, 3:02 PM
I have been hearing a lot about how good the Jet mini is but I was just looking at some specs on it and they say something about easy to tilt motor to adjust speeds. I thought that the VS model had a reostat type speed adjustment. I do not want to be messing with pulleys and belts anymore. It was the 1014vs model I was looking at. My wife is saying christmas I can get it.

Lloyd Frisbee
09-22-2005, 3:28 PM
There are 2 versions of the Jet mini. One has variable speed reostat. Even the variable speed has a 3 pulley set up. I think it is basically 3 speeds zones that are variable within each range. You prolly will not have to change the belts much, if at all, with the variable set in the mid range.

Jim Becker
09-22-2005, 6:19 PM
Ya, most fully VS lathes have two or three "ranges" and they are chosen as Lloyd suggests by moving the belt. The lower range gives you both lower speeds and generally more torgue which is appropriate for "bigger things". You'll rarely use the "highest" range other than may be for small spindle work like pens...and even then, the "middle" range is perfectly acceptable.