PDA

View Full Version : Drones and travel

Raymond Fries
06-16-2016, 5:56 PM
I have read so many posts here from those that enjoy travel to places like Yellowstone, Iceland, Figi, and others. In my research for drones I could not help thinking that many of you that travel would really enjoy a camera drone to keep movies of your favorite places. Some of them like the Phantom are not for racing and take awesome videos.

Just a thought. Maybe it will inspire someone to get a new toy and take the ultimate selfie movie.

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Wade Lippman
06-16-2016, 7:21 PM
Geez, can you imagine being at Yellowstone with 1000 drones in the sky? The ultimate selfish movie indeed!

Lee Schierer
06-16-2016, 7:30 PM
I think most national parks have banned drones. National park guidelines (https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2007-title36-vol1/pdf/CFR-2007-title36-vol1-sec2-17.pdf) say that all types of aircraft are banned from parks "other than at locations designated pursuant to special regulations." There are fines if you are observed flying one.

Raymond Fries
06-16-2016, 7:47 PM
I have never been to a National Park and was not aware of rules. They make sense. The intent was for someone to have fun on a trip and not to break rules and be selfish. I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Tim Boger
06-16-2016, 8:04 PM
I think it would add a wonderful variation to the pics and video one typically takes ... my son was in Papua New Guinea on a humanitarian mission and recorded some really amazing drone videos ... it's fantastic how much more one can learn about a location when viewed from above. Used respectfully I think drones are great.

I have never been to a National Park and was not aware of rules. They make sense. The intent was for someone to have fun on a trip and not to break rules and be selfish. I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-16-2016, 8:11 PM
As someone who lives in a travel destination, they are already getting old. Every cruise ship brings a dozen of them and the next you know they will bring 12 dozen. I'm waiting patiently for the one that comes within target range.

The videos are very cool, but they are already wearing out their welcome.

Wayne Lomman
06-17-2016, 12:51 AM
Just remember that there is a proven inverse relationship between the quantity of photos taken and actual memory of an event/holiday ie take too many photos and your memory of the event fades. Google it. Cheers

Matt Day
06-17-2016, 6:02 AM

I don't think you offended anyone, but you've got to get some time off and see some of the Parks! Our country's national park system is amazing, and I think this is the 100th anniversary of the NPS. I have fond memories of going to Yellowstone and the like with my family, and look forward to bringing my kids too.

Tim Boger
06-17-2016, 1:46 PM
Just remember that there is a proven inverse relationship between the quantity of photos taken and actual memory of an event/holiday ie take too many photos and your memory of the event fades. Google it. Cheers

Interesting concept ... however, in my case I find the pictures and videos help to refresh the memories.

Stan Calow
06-17-2016, 3:05 PM
Ray, I was on a cruise recently. At some of the stops, there were people (not with the ship's photo crew) endlessly flying drones all around the ship and port areas. Some passengers were concerned potential security issues (ports are sensitive areas) and were demonstrating their displeasure with the annoyance with gestures that were not exactly waves.

Raymond Fries
06-18-2016, 4:28 PM
As someone who lives in a travel destination, they are already getting old. Every cruise ship brings a dozen of them and the next you know they will bring 12 dozen. I'm waiting patiently for the one that comes within target range.

The videos are very cool, but they are already wearing out their welcome.

Malcolm, Here are some ideas since the ones that bother you just always seem to be out of range. LOL

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/06/video-the-right-way-to-kill-a-drone/

Malcolm Schweizer
06-18-2016, 6:16 PM
Malcolm, Here are some ideas since the ones that bother you just always seem to be out of range. LOL

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/06/video-the-right-way-to-kill-a-drone/

As your tag line says, I'll go with decisions from my heart. :-)

Brian Elfert
06-18-2016, 9:24 PM

My hobby is launching large model rockets. Guys will put 50 to 100 hours into a rocket and then when they launch it they miss out on the experience because they are busy filming or taking pictures during the launch. If it was me I would ask someone else to take pictures or video of the rocket so I could enjoy the flight. There are usually folks taking pictures or video of every flight anyhow.

I am not a big picture or video guy so I never do either when I launch my rockets. I do so few pictures that if I was ever to come up missing I don't know that anyone could find a reasonably current photo of me for the search.