PDA

View Full Version : The Butler's Desk - Hikido

Brian Holcombe
06-16-2016, 9:30 AM
Good morning! I decided to move these up from Saturdays to Thursdays. My latest post on building the sliding doors which will hide but allow access to wiring that will run behind a shelf for storing electronics.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/2016/06/16/the-butlers-desk-hikido/

Click the above link to see all of the photos, explanation and video.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/SpeedyGoomba/2863F015-6B05-4379-A055-DC5430018248_zpsydrzfxtk.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/SpeedyGoomba/4F4ACD5C-44A4-4296-8DC8-04933F4A9DF7_zpshts67afh.jpg

ken hatch
06-16-2016, 10:56 AM
Brian,

Folks are missing a lot if they do not check your blog. Thanks for posting both places.

ken

Brian Holcombe
06-16-2016, 4:32 PM
My pleasure! Thanks for checking it out.

BTW, I couldn't resist....So-san has another two stones heading my way, one for gouges one medium-fine.

Christopher Charles
06-16-2016, 5:53 PM
Fabulous Brian, the doors are especially elegant. One question- I couldn't sort out how the shelf supports fit with the carcass to hold the shelf--do they fit into mortises?

Best,
Chris

Brian Holcombe
06-16-2016, 5:59 PM
Thanks Chris! I am glad I ended up cutting out those sapwood strips from the doors. The shelf fits into mortises, one is made 1/4" deep, the other 1/8"~ (maybe 3/32) and so the result is that I can fit the shelf into the extra deep mortise, then use those pins to lock it so that it sits with about 1/8" of contact with each mortise.

ken hatch
06-16-2016, 9:36 PM
My pleasure! Thanks for checking it out.

BTW, I couldn't resist....So-san has another two stones heading my way, one for gouges one medium-fine.

I'm staying away from the web page for now. If I don't know it's there I can't be seduced :).

I did order a hard Ark the other day, not a clue why other than good ones are becoming rare.

ken

James Pallas
06-16-2016, 10:21 PM
Looking good Brian. I don't understand the need for the doors. Is it just to facilitate passing the wires through?
Jim

Brian Holcombe
06-16-2016, 11:15 PM
Looking good Brian. I don't understand the need for the doors. Is it just to facilitate passing the wires through?
Jim

Thanks Jim! Exactly the case, easy access to wires. I was worried a solid panel would be frustrating to contend with when fishing wired back behind there.

I'm staying away from the web page for now. If I don't know it's there I can't be seduced :).

I did order a hard Ark the other day, not a clue why other than good ones are becoming rare.

ken

Haha, So knows it too with those warning signs all over the site, lol.

Nice on the hard ark, once the collective turns their attention to them the prices will likely rise.

Christopher Charles
06-17-2016, 1:37 AM
Thanks for the extra details on the shelf, that's a good solution for that situation. Will look forward to seeing more.

Brian Holcombe
06-17-2016, 7:26 AM
Thanks Chris!

Pat Barry
06-17-2016, 7:01 PM
Brian, your work is always interesting. Thank you. I'm really interested to see how the sliding doors work out. What electronics are going into this cabinet anyway? Laptop computer or audio equipment?

Dan Kirkland
06-17-2016, 7:16 PM
Very interesting work. I'll be watching this with much interest

Brian Holcombe
06-17-2016, 10:46 PM
Thank you both! Pat, it'll have a laptop, iPad, phone, ect. The pass through is mainly for charging wires and a surge protector will be mounted underneath.

Zuye Zheng
06-21-2016, 12:30 AM
Looks great and first time I'm seeing your blog, lots of great stuff there!

Brian Holcombe
06-21-2016, 6:44 AM
Thank you Zuye!

Mike Allen1010
06-21-2016, 9:17 PM
Brian,

This is the first time I've seen your website/blog. I'm so glad you included the link as I really appreciate you sharing your work and techniques in such detail.

In particular I admire so many things about your work, but particularly: your attention to detail, stock selection/figure matching, exquisite, hand cut joinery on a 1/32" scale and perhaps most importantly, the overall fit and finish of your hand planed surfaces. I'm no expert, but to me the consistently high quality overall look of your pieces, across many dimensions is what matters most – that's what people see. Dude you are super talented!

I very much look forward to seeing the rest of your build- very inspirational!

Thanks again for sharing.

All the best, Mike

John Kananis
06-22-2016, 12:42 AM
Loving your builds and specifically, your attention to detail.

Robert Hazelwood
06-22-2016, 6:47 AM
What everyone else said - this is good stuff, Brian. I've also appreciated the videos you've been putting up. Looking forward to seeing the rest of this!

Brian Holcombe
06-22-2016, 7:42 AM
Thank you the kindness and encouragement!

I'm glad that people are starting to investigate the blog a bit more, I'm finding it a little easier to have the centralized source of information. That way when someone clicks on the link for the blog they can check out older work without having to search for it specifically.

Prashun Patel
06-22-2016, 8:15 AM
I have gotten to see the unit in person, and I can vouch that he's not photo shopping that much. ;)

Derek Cohen
06-22-2016, 8:52 AM
Thank you the kindness and encouragement!

I'm glad that people are starting to investigate the blog a bit more, I'm finding it a little easier to have the centralized source of information. That way when someone clicks on the link for the blog they can check out older work without having to search for it specifically.

Hi Brian

Hang in there with the blog. It is essentially the only way to keep a permanent record of builds.

What I have learned over the years, however, is that many do not like to leave the forum page - even for a little click. What I wind up doing - unless the number of photos is very high - is resizing the pics (well you have to do that anyway) and uploading them to Photobucket. Then I write the article on a supportive forum (usually WoodCentral, since it does not alter html code, as SMC will do), add the links to images on Photobucket. Once ready for "publication", I copy the draft. This can be pasted on another forum (or more) as is. Later, I return to a forum, and copy the article onto OpenOffice, which I use to prepare it for my website, where it becomes the centralised archive.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nick Stokes
06-22-2016, 9:00 AM
Hi Brian

Hang in there with the blog. It is essentially the only way to keep a permanent record of builds.

What I have learned over the years, however, is that many do not like to leave the forum page - even for a little click. What I wind up doing - unless the number of photos is very high - is resizing the pics (well you have to do that anyway) and uploading them to Photobucket. Then I write the article on a supportive forum (usually WoodCentral, since it does not alter html code, as SMC will do), add the links to images on Photobucket. Once ready for "publication", I copy the draft. This can be pasted on another forum (or more) as is. Later, I return to a forum, and copy the article onto OpenOffice, which I use to prepare it for my website, where it becomes the centralised archive.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I am thankful to both of you men, and others like you, that take the time to document their journey through woodworking. It is so awesome to be able to pick up tips and tricks from a variety of people from all different backgrounds.

Brian Holcombe
06-22-2016, 9:26 AM
I have gotten to see the unit in person, and I can vouch that he's not photo shopping that much. ;)

LOL! I'm old school, I use an exacto-knife and glue stick for edits :D

Hi Brian

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for your advice, as always! I do agree on the whole, but I think additionally that the link gets a bit camouflaged into the post. Maybe some people can chime in with commentary from the user perspective. I know I missed your link for the longest time, then made effort to make certain that I clicked it.

Changing my format (new posts rather than a long strong) and posting date has helped significantly.

I am thankful to both of you men, and others like you, that take the time to document their journey through woodworking. It is so awesome to be able to pick up tips and tricks from a variety of people from all different backgrounds.

My pleasure! And thanks for your comment.