PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing systems revisit

Mike Nathal
06-16-2016, 7:56 AM
I just got back from the Atlanta AAW meeting and thoroughly enjoyed it. The instant gallery is awesome. I was able to look at about 6 or 7 hollowing systems at the trade show. All of them looked well built. I own a Jamieson system and it does everything I need, and I am not seriously looking to replace it, but the new rigs look very sexy. The Trent Bosch and Steve Sinner systems impressed me with their simplicity and robustness. But I wanted to point out a system that doesn't get much discussion: the Clark Hollowing system was extremely well built and one of the least expensive. Certainly the cheapest on a "per pound" basis. It is made for bigger lathes and deep hollowing.

Hayes Rutherford
06-16-2016, 8:59 AM
There is a lot to be said for simplicity and robustness.

J.D.Redwine
06-16-2016, 5:02 PM
I have the Clark Hollowing system and like it. It handles small things also.

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-16-2016, 5:18 PM
I look at the Clark system there too. Way to many parts & to much set-up time involved. I'm sure it will do the job but like Hayes says
There is a lot to be said for simplicity and robustness. Why complicate something that can be quite simple. I say keep it simple.But hey if want to have a lot of unnecessary parts & want to spend your time setting things up & taking them down rather than turning then go for it.

J.D.Redwine
06-16-2016, 6:02 PM
Joe you could not be more wrong about the Clark Hollowing system.

robert baccus
06-16-2016, 10:38 PM
Much too complicated and lightweight for serious hollowing past 10". His cutting tips are primitive at best.

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-18-2016, 9:02 PM
I know I watched them set-up a Clark system in Atlanta at the AAW symposium. I watched 2 people work on setting it up for about 20 minutes. Then I never did see them actually do any hollowing with it. Just had it on display. There are other systems can easily be set up in a matter of a couple of minutes by one person.