PDA

View Full Version : Vases

daryl moses
06-16-2016, 7:04 AM
My first attempt at turning a vase. Unfortunately I don't have the right tools to turn a true hollow form so the openings are a little large. Not the best photos but you get the idea.
C&C appreciated.
First one is Ambrosia maple, second Walnut, third Sycamore, last is Walnut.

Edward Weingarden
06-16-2016, 8:12 AM
For first attempt...well done!

David Delo
06-16-2016, 8:35 AM
Nice job Daryl. Like them all but the short walnut piece is extra cool to me.

John K Jordan
06-16-2016, 8:54 AM
Nice! I especially like the profile of the last one.

JKJ

Wes Ramsey
06-16-2016, 10:13 AM
Nice job Daryl! I also like the short walnut vase. What sizes are these?

Also, I don't think #3 is sycamore. Looks too white and the grain doesn't look right. I couldn't tell you what I think it IS, but it at least doesn't look like sycamore...

daryl moses
06-16-2016, 10:41 AM
Nice job Daryl! I also like the short walnut vase. What sizes are these?

Also, I don't think #3 is sycamore. Looks too white and the grain doesn't look right. I couldn't tell you what I think it IS, but it at least doesn't look like sycamore...
Thanks. The tall walnut is 10x6, short walnut is 5x7, maple is 8x5, and the sycamore is 9x51/2.
And yes i'm sure it is sycamore. I accidently "knocked" it down when I fell the maple. It is light colored but the light color is because most of it is sapwood, the bottom is darker because I was just starting to cut into the heartwood. I made a twig pot out of the same log section and cut most of the sapwood away which revealed more of the color that is associated with sycamore. For sycamore it doesn't show much grain that you typically see though.
BTW, they are all finished with several coats of Tung oil.

daryl moses
06-16-2016, 10:42 AM
For first attempt...well done!
Thanks Edward.

daryl moses
06-16-2016, 10:46 AM
Nice job Daryl. Like them all but the short walnut piece is extra cool to me.
Thanks David, the wife and I both like the short one as well. Kind of has that Santa Fe look to it I think.
I can only hope to turn something sometime that is even close to what you do. You, Leo, John, and many others here on SMC are my inspiration.

daryl moses
06-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Nice! I especially like the profile of the last one.

JKJ
Thank you John. I've found that turning a vase [at least for me] is a bit more of a challenge trying to get the "form" correct. I'm not there yet, but i'll keep trying.

David Delo
06-16-2016, 12:01 PM
I can only hope to turn something sometime that is even close to what you do. You, Leo, John, and many others here on SMC are my inspiration.

Thanks for the props Daryl but you must have me confused with somebody else. I'm not much above a weekend hacker wacker that knows the value of good quality sandpaper.

Bill Jobe
06-16-2016, 12:08 PM
All beautiful pieces. I've been trying to learn how to turn vases, too, but I'm limited due to the fact that all i have is a HF mini. But still, I'm pleased with my pieces.
Daryl, I'd be proud to have turned any of these 3. And for your first time turning vases, absolutely fantastic. Surely you have a lot of turning experience to make these.

Bill

robert baccus
06-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Really good work for a new or old turner. I switched to mostly vases and urns 20 years ago. Easier--little or no finishing inside usually. Look into "Woodcut" Cutting tip--the best by far for speed and no catching.

daryl moses
06-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the props Daryl but you must have me confused with somebody else. .

Nope, not confused at all, been admiring your spheres and bowls for a long time. Your just too modest, lol.

daryl moses
06-16-2016, 1:00 PM
All beautiful pieces. I've been trying to learn how to turn vases, too, but I'm limited due to the fact that all i have is a HF mini. But still, I'm pleased with my pieces.
Daryl, I'd be proud to have turned any of these 3. And for your first time turning vases, absolutely fantastic. Surely you have a lot of turning experience to make these.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I have a large enough lathe but am short on the right tools to do hollow forms especially around the rim. All I used were some homemade carbide cutters. That 10" vase was a challenge for sure as I had my cutter hanging waaaay off the rest.
And no, not a lot of experience, I've been into woodworking for many years but just started "turning" a couple of years ago. I'm fortunate [blessed] that I have plenty of raw material here on the farm to practice with. I make a lot of kindling.;)

daryl moses
06-16-2016, 1:05 PM
Really good work for a new or old turner. I switched to mostly vases and urns 20 years ago. Easier--little or no finishing inside usually. Look into "Woodcut" Cutting tip--the best by far for speed and no catching.
Thanks Robert! Not tried an urn yet but the vases were a lot of fun and very challenging. I will check into the Woodcut tip.
And yes, i'm afraid the inside of these weren't finished very well, a little hard [and dangerous] trying to sand the inside.

Roger Chandler
06-16-2016, 2:59 PM
hey.......'ya done good Dayrl! These look pretty good! :)

Dok Yager
06-16-2016, 4:48 PM
Nice job Daryl. I especially like the last one for form and figure. Better than my first effort :rolleyes: Bang all over the shop.

daryl moses
06-16-2016, 6:14 PM
hey.......'ya done good Dayrl! These look pretty good! :)
Thanks much Roger. I love giving the GO766 a workout.:D

daryl moses
06-16-2016, 6:17 PM
Nice job Daryl. I especially like the last one for form and figure. Better than my first effort :rolleyes: Bang all over the shop.

Thanks Dok, I had one of those "bangs" as well on my second attempt. Seems I cut just a tad too deep nearing the bottom and cut it completely in half. Now I see why some use a laser, lol.

Wes Ramsey
06-17-2016, 3:24 PM
Thanks. The tall walnut is 10x6, short walnut is 5x7, maple is 8x5, and the sycamore is 9x51/2.
And yes i'm sure it is sycamore. I accidently "knocked" it down when I fell the maple. It is light colored but the light color is because most of it is sapwood, the bottom is darker because I was just starting to cut into the heartwood. I made a twig pot out of the same log section and cut most of the sapwood away which revealed more of the color that is associated with sycamore. For sycamore it doesn't show much grain that you typically see though.
BTW, they are all finished with several coats of Tung oil.

That makes sense. I usually turn sycamore where I get the cross-grain lace pattern so it looked a little different. Very nice form and wood though!