PDA

View Full Version : Frozen with indecision

Ed Blough
09-22-2005, 2:51 PM
I have been remodeling my master bath. Since I had a tile guy doing the tile I to build the vanity carcass and install it so he could do the counter top. I also built and installed another smaller vanity and top shelf unit. The carcasses are 3/4 ply top, bottom, sides and dividers/shelves. the tops have an additional 1/2 handiplank(concrete board) then marble tile.

The main vanity is 8 ft long buit between two walls with three divisions built into the carcass. I do not have the face frame built yet. Each side division is 3 ft and the center of course is 2ft. The sinks are set to inside side of each 3 ft division so I can put a vertical row of drawers 3-5 drawers about 12-16 inches wide against ends touching the wall. I then intend to have a two door area directly under the sinks in area with the plumbing. In the center unit I'm either going to have a 2 12 inch doors or one panel hinged at the bottom for clothes hamper. In the smaller cabinet 4ft I was going to put in slidding doors due to it's placement to the toilet. in the upper cabinet which 4 ft I was going to go with 3 doors.

Now my question for the vertical drawer section which would be better to build a slide in carcass box with the drawer slides and all mounted then put on the face frame covering it or just put the face frame on and mount the drawer slides to the face frame with a standoff on the wall side of the cabinet to support the back of the slide and a vertical board connected to the top and bottom on inboard side to support that side?

The second question is drawer carcass thickness. For drawers I usually see 1/2 thick sides and back, but I'm thinking for this scale a full 3/4 may be better.

I was going to use cherry or maple for the face frame and poplar for the drawer carcasses. I hate to buy 3/4" poplar to plane it down to 1/2"
Any thoughts.
Ed