PDA

View Full Version : Tips on "erasing" Cermark mistakes?

Scott Challoner
06-15-2016, 11:16 PM
Does anybody have any good tips for removing/polishing Cermark mistakes? The parts I mis-marked are polished stainless and I don't want an obvious scrub mark. I have removed Cermark before but I'd like to leave less evidence of my mistakes.

Kev Williams
06-15-2016, 11:37 PM
I've never bothered to even try to fix goofs on polished stainless. The ONLY way to actually fix the repaired cermark is to re-polish the stainless.

If you plan to try that route, then you need to head to Harbor Freight and pick up one of their "air erasers", which is basically an airbrush doing sandblasting duty. They sell various size sand for them in pint jars, I think I have the 200 grit. Mine likes about 50 psi, although it will work with much less (but not sure if it'll handle MORE)

Takes a bit of patience and practice. Heavy on the patience, getting the knob on the sand hopper right, and for quite awhile you'll believe that it's not doing anything, then all of a sudden you'll notice it is!

It's very subtle and it will remove cermark. And what you'll have left to polish will be much easier than polishing any type of sanding marks.

Makrel Johnson
06-15-2016, 11:37 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?177555-removing-cermark

Looks like you've got some sanding to do.

-Mak

Mike Null
06-16-2016, 10:10 AM
I have one recurring job where we make a mistake now and then. I use 400 sand paper, then various grades of 3m abrasives then emery cloth. That restores a bright glossy finish. I'm lucky though as the area is less than 2 square inches.

Scott Challoner
06-16-2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys. With any luck, my fiber will be back up and running today and I may try to use that too.