PDA

View Full Version : Project recommendations for Advanced Beginner

Todd Mason-Darnell
06-15-2016, 12:17 PM
I would consider myself as an advanced beginner for woodworking and as a firm believer in "learning by doing", I am casting around the next project that would advance my skill set beyond butchering plywood for the shop.

In terms of experience, I have done quite a few home carpentry projects (including building by own 16 x 24 shop). Done some finished carpentry for friends and family. I have refinished several pieces of furniture and built some cabinets (miter saw station, drill press bench, Norm's router table/cabinet etc) for the shop. Some these projects have turned out great and some have been not so great.

In terms of tools, I have a mix of first to third generation tools:

SawStop 1.75 hp PCS
Porter Cable 680 mounted in a Jessem Lift in the table
PC 895 router for free hand work
Lunch Box planer (big box brand)
10" combine miter saw (big box brand)
Usual hand tools, sanders, etc.

Having gone to the specialty lumber yard and drooled over all of the hard wood lumber, I am trying to decide what would be a good next project.

Wanting to jump into the deep end and make a big splash, I was thinking of trying to build a piece of fine furniture, a console table.

But I was also wondering about trying to do some small boxes-jewelry, etc.

The boxes would have the advantage of forcing me to learn how to do some joiner, but may also require a level of finesse/skill that I do not have yet.

The console table project is closer to my comfort zone and I have the (mis?)perception that working on a larger piece gives more room for error. Of course working on a larger piece can also make mistakes more costly when I have to go back to the lumber yard for another piece of maple.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Victor Robinson
06-15-2016, 3:00 PM
Of course only you can decide what your next project should be...there's no right answer.

That being said, any of the projects you mention will offer opportunities to build new skills. The console table will offer a chance to work on design (if you decide to design it yourself), larger scale joinery, and may fill a void in the home (do you need a console table?). Do you have a design in mind or one that you wish to emulate? Do you have the tooling you need to make the design you would want?

On the other hand, boxes are great for working on details...really fine-tuning your accuracy and precision with both power and hand tools, flexing your creativity without burning a hole through your wallet, and they make great gifts. They can be as challenging or simple as you want. Regardless of which project you choose to undertake next, if you're at all interested in boxes, I'd recommend getting a good box-making book (such as by Doug Stowe) and working through the projects as you have time. You can build a lot of skills that way very quickly and boxes are an excellent use of scrap material.

So my vote? Go for the console table and use the scraps to make some boxes!

Von Bickley
06-15-2016, 3:47 PM
You can't go wrong with book cases, coffee tables, end tables, pedestal tables. Pick a style that you like, shaker, arts& craft, etc., and research these different styles.

Andrew Gibson
06-15-2016, 4:50 PM
No matter the project you decide to build I recommend entering in a local furniture competition. Many State and County fairs will have these types of competitions that only cost a few dollars to enter and typically have a beginner category. The Florida State Fair for instance has a competition every year and the entry fee is $3 per piece. The value here is that you build a piece knowing it will be judged, and you will get an unbiased assessment of what you did well and where to improve. The judge will typically point out the same thing you already know you need to work on but he will point them out in front of your fellow woodworkers. When I started obsessing about things the judge never saw I knew I needed to lighten up on myself. I also find myself learning a lot by looking at the other pieces in the competition and listening the judges review.

The two main projects that pushed me to improve my skill and understanding were 1. My first hand tool only project (no electricity allowed) and 2. My first instrument. The first turned out well, the second not so much.
I say start with a box or two or three. Force yourself to execute the details until you are happy with the results. Then attack a bigger project and force yourself to hold the same level of execution as you did for the box.

Ralph Okonieski
06-15-2016, 8:05 PM
Blanket chests and night stands are good projects. Lots of styles.

Something a a little simpler might be a step stool.

http://cdn.opentip.com/Baby-Products/Little-Colorado-Solid-Wood-Kids-Step-Stool-p-4703287.html?gclid=CICh1_ydq80CFdgSgQodj-MEEA

i've built a similar one to those in the link except that the upright support was actually a box with a hinged lid. Each of my grand children have one; the last several have their initials in the back of the box. If you are interested, can provide some dimensions and template for the sides.

Joseph Montroy
06-15-2016, 8:34 PM
One might argue that for the level of accuracy both of those projects require, a jointer might be a good idea. Just my .02, good luck with whatever you decide!

Doug Hepler
06-15-2016, 11:37 PM
Todd,

My first serious project was a pair of nightstands. I got the basic ideas and plans from a WW magazine (Canadian Woodworker as I recall) and modified them to make them more challenging and more attractive. The article talked the reader through the process, and the narrative worked just as well for my modified design.

In that vein, I would recommend Woodsmith magazine (http://www.woodsmith.com/magazine/). This is a project-oriented publication that exemplifies your learning approach of hands-on learning by doing. They also offer a subscription to an on-line video magazine that seems like a companion to the print magazine. The on-line series has just completed building a Greene and Greene style table with two drawers.

Finally, I have written up some projects, including my version of that nightstand. They are the main projects that I used to learn woodworking. If you would like to see some of them, send me a PM.

Welcome

Doug

Stan Calow
06-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Todd ask your family and friends what kind of things they might want you to make. I made a few things early on, that never left the shop because there was no one who wanted them. A few hall tables and night stands saturated that market, and a few jewelry boxes and shadow boxes satisfied those needs. But I too struggle with what to make now, that has a purpose.

Prashun Patel
06-16-2016, 10:32 AM
Console table is perfect. I agree that bigger (as big as you can still lift easily) is easier.

You'll learn about panel glue-ups, leg/apron joinery, selecting the right stock for strong legs, and selecting grain matching stock for the top.

While red oak causes some noses to turn up, I think it's a wonderful wood to build with. It's prominent grain poses fun challenges for matching on a panel and and laminating on legs. It takes color very well - both dyes and stains. It's also reasonable to route, plane and sand without a lot of burning or tear-out to contend with. Last, it's relatively cheap, so you can afford to buy the right pieces for each section.

Brian Tymchak
06-16-2016, 11:06 AM
I consider my first woodworking project of substance to have been my solid hardwood (Ash) woodworking bench. It's a substantial sized project, but will provide years of enjoyment and usefulness. I used a lot of tools (both power and hand), learned how to work with rough lumber including acclimating lumber before and during milling, did a lot of different kinds of joinery. Learned the value of sharpening. Started pretty much with the same tool set you have. Ended up buying lots of clamps to laminate the tops (split top design).

Jamie Buxton
06-16-2016, 11:06 AM
You might look into a woodworkers club. http://www.finewoodworkersofaustin.org/

Pat Barry
06-16-2016, 11:11 AM
You should pick the project that you want to do MOST and get with it. You have all the equipment necessary. I don't think you should hesitate to do anything except something requiring turnings.

Robby Tacheny
06-16-2016, 12:00 PM
Just remember bigger projects often require jigs for specific actions. So not only are you making the piece of furniture, but also the jigs to make the piece of furniture. Make sure you fine tune your jigs and practice on some scrap so that the final product will be flawless.

Examples:

- Your 10" miter saw wont be able to cut the console table top once glued up, so ho do you trim to length? Do you have a sled for table saw? Or maybe a guide for a handheld circular saw?
- If you are doing mortise and tenon, how can you make them?
- If you are doing tapered legs, do you have a table saw jig for that?
- How will you make drawers? Finger joints, dovetails on router, etc?

This is where a box may be a more accessible project as it may require less jigs for individual components.

Robby

glenn bradley
06-16-2016, 1:51 PM
Any reasonably involved smaller scale project will help develop your skills while not consuming large amounts of material or large amounts of space with completed projects. Small, hinged boxes with internal trays and decorative tops build many skills in a small package; they are also really easy to give away ;-)

339255 . 339256

Small wall cabinets allow practice on stopped dados, sliding dovetails and frame and panel joinery. They also hide all sorts of random nick-nacks.

339257 . 339258

Or store CD's . . . yes I still use those ;-)

339259 . 339260

Dresser valets are small but, you can use things like tablesaw made coves and routed "bowls" to add complexity, build skills and have fun with the exercise.

339262 . 339261

You can literally just browse Woodsmith or Fine Woodworking online and come up with lots of fun things to try.

John Sanford
06-16-2016, 4:20 PM
I would say simply look around your home, and if you see an unmet furniture/accessory need or something that needs to be replaced, then that's your next project. If there's nothing in the home that will fit the bill (asking the spouse will likely result in many opportunities, perhaps too many, so proceed down that opportunity path with caution), then think about what family and/or friends may need/want.

If THAT doesn't spur anything, then head over to the LARGEST furniture store in the area, and just wander around looking for inspiration.

Jim Andrew
06-16-2016, 10:22 PM
Personally, I build pieces for my family. Built a dresser and chest of drawers for my daughter, chests for granddaughters, as well as small chests of drawers for bedside tables. Think my youngest son may be getting married, so plan to build chest and dresser for him as well. His house burned a few months ago, but have not had time to get on his projects yet. Too many shop improvement projects, as well as work on the farm.

Joe O'Connor
06-17-2016, 7:34 AM
I built my first several furniture projects with less tools than you mention, all of mine being job site carpentry tools. I feel like doing projects is the best way to learn woodworking, and find out what tools you really need. My first fine furniture piece was a walnut coffee table that we still love 6 years later.
Yes hardwood can be expensive but when you are pursuing a hobby cost us almost always involved. I wouldn't consider a failed project any more a waste of money than all the money I spent on golf trying to improve my game. In both scenarios I enjoyed the time spent and learned from my mistakes.
Build anything you want to.

Lester Sak
06-17-2016, 8:53 AM
I'm finishing up a Greene and Greene styled rafter tail table from plans from Darrell Peart. He includes diagrams with all dimensions, cutting list and a 2 hour video of him building the table step by step. I thought it was a great skill builder. You can find the plans here: http://www.shopwoodworking.com/build-a-greene-greene-rafter-tail-table-grouped.

Howard Pollack
06-17-2016, 9:49 AM
Pick whatever you'd like to make. Go at it and learn what you need to learn to do the job. Don't be afraid to throw imperfect parts away. Skill is developed by doing, although thinking helps it is not adequate without doing. Mostly, have fun and keep your tools sharp!

Howard

Todd Mason-Darnell
06-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all of the great feedback and suggestions.

My wife may have settled this issue for me. In talking about this last night, she said she would like a custom tansu style cabinet for the master bath, so I guess I know what my next project will be.

Borden Bleich
10-27-2017, 8:39 PM
Going to build dresser in soft wood using the #55 plane next, you can set your self a challenge; already getting ideas for design, will have to take progress pictures. Wish I had done pictures of the spoke fence. Challenge yourself with design.

Jim Becker
10-28-2017, 9:50 PM
Honestly, my personal policy is that every project should challenge me in some way; a new technique, a unique design, etc.

roger wiegand
10-29-2017, 8:43 AM
Build something you need. I've never gotten into projects for the sake of projects, or setting up a particular challenge. (The challenges always seem to show up!)

My first project was a hammered dulcimer, because I wanted one and back then there was no commercial source. I made finger joints to put the case together because I couldn't envision how to do dovetails in corners that weren't at 90 degrees. Even doing finger joints for a trapezoid had my instructor at the HS woodworking shop adult education program shaking his head. I learned about building jigs, and that sometimes you spent a day making a jig to let you complete a cut in 10 minutes. If I were coaching a newbie I'd tell them to make something square first!

The second project was a banjo. No shortage of challenges there! Bending quarter inch curly maple into an 11" circle presented an interesting one. Nothing square on a banjo either.

Derek Cohen
10-29-2017, 10:16 AM
Honestly, my personal policy is that every project should challenge me in some way; a new technique, a unique design, etc.

I agree, but I'm an amateur and have the time for this. There are pros on here that would not be challenged by the stuff I build.

I post predominantly on the Hand Tool side since those are my preferred tools. I do, however, believe that one should develop skills with all tools in order to be a rounded woodworker. So here is my challenge to those on this side of the forum who do not use hand tools: include them with your next project. Challenge yourself to use a new tool in a new way, to form a joint you would have otherwise avoided.

A few years ago I built an exact copy of Hans Wegner's "The Chair" (or "The Round Chair") using predominantly hand tools (the factor build it with copy lathes and CNC machines). The challenge was obviously to be exact, but the joint of particular challenge was the dovetail joint in the chair back ...

The timber is Fiddleback Jarrah ...

https://s19.postimg.org/sf3xf890j/The_Chair.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/cn8ws6nxf/The_Chair.jpg

Last year I completed a modern Bombe - I was challenged to build curved and bow front drawers with compound dovetails (handcut, of course), but my taste runs to contemporary styles rather than French Provincial.

The timber .. carcase is Makore and the drawer fronts are figured Jarrah ..

https://s19.postimg.org/5rafkh8df/Lingerie_Chest.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/m3kha7moz/Lingerie_Chest.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/uzv9e5db7/Lingerie_Chest.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Steve Schoene
10-29-2017, 10:16 AM
A jointer would be the next machine i would suggest adding to your tool set. Jointers and planers are both needed when starting from rough lumber. The jointer makes one side flat and the plane makes the opposite side parallel, ie. of equal thickness throughout. The joionter is also the easiest way to straighten edges in order to glue boards to make a wider panel with invisible glue lines.

Randy Heinemann
10-29-2017, 3:42 PM
Find something you need for your house. There is nothing more satisfying than ending up with a piece that you would have other wise bought. Don't worry if it doesn't turn out exactly the way you want it to the first time. I've been told that most pieces are much better the second time around because of the practice from the first time and the fact that any design problems can be fixed. Also, making a full-size model of construction grade and scrap (even cardboard sometimes) is always a great idea. It allows you to see whether the size and design are what you want before investing in hardwood. It can just be nailed and glued together except where you want to try out some joinery for the final version.

Mel Fulks
10-29-2017, 4:02 PM
To sustain your interest during the "dark moments" of the build it needs to be something with a design you really like. Take a look at a photo of Thomas Jefferson's "dumb waiter" table (not the elevator). They have a long history but are not seen much now. Kinda' serves as a mobile coffee table without the trip hazard!

Roger Marty
10-29-2017, 6:29 PM
That Bombe chest of drawers is stunning.

Chris Hachet
10-30-2017, 9:33 AM
Thanks for all of the great feedback and suggestions.

My wife may have settled this issue for me. In talking about this last night, she said she would like a custom tansu style cabinet for the master bath, so I guess I know what my next project will be.

Building what you love can be a great motivation.

I would suggest doing something soon involving wood turning or chair building, maybe a stool. Once you realize not everything has to be flat, straight and square a new world of creative expression will come alive for you.

Good luck on your cabinet, and as a married guy myself might I suggest that building things for your spouse is a great way to get a decent tool budget...just sayin...

Chris Hachet
10-30-2017, 9:34 AM

This is my thought also.

Joe Craven
11-03-2017, 8:13 PM
Since you have a planer, a router, and a nice table saw, I would recommend trying some cutting boards...mainly because you don't need a jointer for this project. You can face plane various hardwoods and rip them to 1.75" widths, then flip those pieces vertically and glue them up for an edge-grain cutting board (great excuse to buy more clamps!). There's plenty of creativity involved in mixing wood species and once the glue-ups are done, you run them through the planer again to get a completely-flat result. The router (while optimally mounted into a router table) can be used to cut finger grooves in the sides, and rounded profiles on the edges.

I've done probably 200 cutting boards throughout my woodworking "career" (hobby) and I have found a lot of satisfaction along the way. First, it's cool to figure out the most-efficient way to built [x] number of pieces in a batch. Second, I find that recipients of a quality cutting board gift are very appreciative because it's something that they can use almost every day. Be careful, though: if you make them too nice, they will never be used for fear of knife marks, etc!