PDA

View Full Version : hinge selection - thick door inset application

David Zaret
06-14-2016, 7:51 PM
i am having a lot of trouble finding a hinge that will work for my application - it's thick door (1 1/4") inset. blum told me to go with the 170 degree 71T6550 (with restriction clip) and the 18mm plate, and ensured it would work. it doesn't, and i don't see how it ever could.

anyone have advice on what to use for inset thick door hinges?

thanks.

--- dz

Jamie Buxton
06-14-2016, 9:00 PM
Salice has a 94 degree hinge for thick doors. It is supposed to handle inset doors up to 1 3/8" thick. It even has integrated soft close. http://www.wwhardware.com/salice-94-soft-close-thick-door-inset-hinges
They also have a hinge which will handle a 1 1/2" thick inset door. No integrated soft close, and it needs a 40 mm cup diameter. http://www.wwhardware.com/salice-94-thick-door-inset-self-close-screw-on-series-f

Peter Quinn
06-15-2016, 7:52 PM
They gave you the wrong number, check out the 71T6650, the book has thick door application chart that indicates up to 1 1/4" with correct plate, something like 18MM plate, so look closely to match your application. You are looking at "zero protrusion" hinges, 170 degree. I have big box of them at work right now to hang 1 1/4" doors on, haven't done a mock up quite yet,

I know Salice makes one that works, hing a house full of closet door on them a few years back, couldn't tell you the numbers, it was another guys side job, but they worked fine, so if blum strikes out check the Salice rep.

David Zaret
06-15-2016, 11:37 PM
peter, that's exactly what i tried in Blum - that hinge with the 18mm plate. didn't work. i guess my door is too thick. i talked to salice today, they suggested the 40mm cup hinge mentioned by jamie, with a 9mm plate, and varying the bore distance to make it work. i ordered one for a test, will know by friday.

thanks for your help.

--- dz

Bill Orbine
06-16-2016, 6:54 AM
The Blum brochure shows that you need a very large reveal, even with the restriction clip, when installing 1-1/4" doors inset. Can't imagine anyone liking that.

While I don't know what Salice has to offer, another company has a hinge that might work: http://www.sugatsune.com/products/productdetails.cfm?catid=5&subcatid=10&productid=J95%2D24%2F0T%2CJ95%2DC24%2F0T I used these 95 degree hinges for HEAVY 1" thick door application. These hinges are rated for doors 30 mm thick with very tight reveal. 30mm is just over 1/16" less than 1-1/4" doors. I think with a little tweak here and there will get these hinges to work. These are 40mm cups.

David Zaret
06-16-2016, 10:30 AM
bill that's a good one - thanks. i'll get one of those to have onhand as a sample. good stuff, thanks.

brian zawatsky
06-19-2016, 8:44 AM
The design on that one above looks like it could be made to work on a door thicker than 30mm by using a spacer block behind the mounting clip and bumping the cup bore in towards the center just a tad? Perhaps.

David Zaret
06-19-2016, 12:09 PM
The design on that one above looks like it could be made to work on a door thicker than 30mm by using a spacer block behind the mounting clip and bumping the cup bore in towards the center just a tad? Perhaps.

yeah i talked to an engineer at salice. basically you're right - standard configuration is 9mm plate on the 40mm cup hinge, full crank, 8mm bore gives you ~1.5" clearance. your can get more by adjusting both. i'm still waiting on richelieu to deliver the hinges, as soon as i get them i'll do a mock up, snap a picture, and post it for ya'll.

-- dz