PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 852 Sweetheart Cabinet 852

Rick Dragoo
06-14-2016, 1:23 PM
Hello all! Recently having found a nice Stanley Sweetheart Cabinet, which I believe is a No 852, I'm looking for any information I can find as to original contents. I believe there is a Stanley catalog S35D that may describe this tool set. I would be grateful if anyone can help me find out more about this Stanley tool cabinet. It is beautiful and I hope to make it a conversation point in my shop. Not so much interested as to its value. I just like its looks and would like to fill in the missing tools. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me. Here are photos of the cabinet.

t339126339127

Mike Brady
06-14-2016, 1:34 PM
I saw one of those for sale recently at $200.00 and passed on it. Maybe a collector would see the appeal of it. There was really no way to use this one without altering the interior, which of course threatened it's desirability and value. My point is that if you paid a lot for it and it needs work to be usable, think twice before diving in.

Edit: You didn't explain initially that you had a cabinet with tools. What you have there is interesting. It looks like some folks are responding with ideas. Good luck with it.

Jim Koepke
06-14-2016, 1:42 PM
Howdy Rick and Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't include your location, where on this ever shrinking globe do you call home?

The John Walter book doesn't say much. Manufactured in 1922, contains 20 tools, 22x14x8-1/2" and made of walnut.

I did a search on > Stanley 852 tool cabinet < and found an old ebay listing from 2014 with some pictures. It is in a collection and the item number will not get you to the page. We are not supposed to post links to ebay auctions. I am not sure if it can be sent in a PM, but I will try.

jtk

Joe Bailey
06-14-2016, 4:46 PM
Since this is your first post, we may as well get you started with the right habits* ...

Once you post a photo (or several) of the chest, I will post the pertinent catalog pages, including the contents list.

*my reference is to the time-worn phrase: "no pics -- didn't happen"

Jim Koepke
06-14-2016, 5:58 PM
Since this is your first post, we may as well get you started with the right habits* ...

Once you post a photo (or several) of the chest, I will post the pertinent catalog pages, including the contents list.

*my reference is to the time-worn phrase: "no pics -- didn't happen"

If you need help posting photos here is a post that may be of help:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167711-posting-photos-as-of-June-2011

Things have changed a little in the past five years. One of the major causes of problems is starting with a file that is too large. It may be necessary to convert images to smaller jpeg files.

jtk

Rick Dragoo
06-14-2016, 6:38 PM
Thanks. I was able to download the photo. RD

Joe Bailey
06-14-2016, 7:04 PM
Very cool and in great condition. Thanks for being a good sport and playing along,
Here ya go:

P.S. - welcome aboard!

Doug McKay
06-14-2016, 8:26 PM
You've some of the hard stuff already. Hard stuff to find: #11, not 11 3/4 nail set in 2/32. This one has a round head, rolls off the bench and is gone forever. Must be all gone or real treasured by the nail set collectors, have seen maybe 1 of them in 3 years on fleabay. I had to settle for a 1/32.
Stanley sweetheart pliers, real hard to find, you had to buy a tool set just to get a pair, pricey. Stanley 204 rule: very short and light duty, most lost to breakage. Rest must be hoarded under lock and key by the rule guys... Stanley # 50 screwdriver 3". These are not marked well or are short supply, never found one, went with a short # 20 instead.
I put together a 902 for my daughter, that was my downfall, started collecting Stanley stuff....

Rick Dragoo
06-14-2016, 9:10 PM
Perfect! Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for. RD

Rick Dragoo
06-14-2016, 9:13 PM
Great info, thanks! Looks like I have a challenge ahead of me to completely fill the tool. RD

Doug McKay
06-14-2016, 9:29 PM
PS. Also the # 6 Awl you need is going to say #6, hurwood, sweetheart and is going to have a round head so it rolls off the bench also.. not the one with flat sides. Doug