PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a JET Edge sander? Did you fashion a 90d stop?

Mike Dowell
06-14-2016, 10:35 AM
I just got an Edge OES-80CS Edge Sander. I put it all together, and I noticed that locking the sanding platen all the way vertically to its stop, it's not 90 degrees. I also realized that there is no adjustable stop for this. I'd like to finish the engineering on this machine by making a stop for 90 degrees. I'd love to make something for 45 too. Has anyone done this? Can you post pictures?

I must say, this type of stuff really bothers me. I'm not $1000 impressed.

larry senen
06-14-2016, 10:40 AM
I imagine you could grind a bolt head on 2 sides slip in the channel rotate 90 degrees and washer and nut in place

Joe Cowan
06-15-2016, 10:49 AM
I was expecting the stop issue, so I was not disappointed. I take a square and adjust that way.

Mike Dowell
06-15-2016, 10:55 AM
I'm too impatient to square it up each time.:D

glenn bradley
06-15-2016, 4:33 PM
I too use a square. I have never met a stop that didn't become unreliable over time. I know they are out there but I don't own any higher end machines so that could influence my view.

As long as you are going to finish engineering this tool, I have a list:
- table is too small
- speed is too fast
- table adjustment is non-existent
- "return to 90" should engage a threaded adjuster for the last +/- 5 degrees.
- hinged dust collector port hood hits the motor
- belt guard position requires more adjustability
- stand storage is a joke

Since the cheapest unit that is significantly better is nearly twice as much . . . all in all I love the thing :)

Joe Cowan
06-16-2016, 10:46 AM
Yes, I love mine as well. The DC is terrible, but I expected that based on my readings on this forum. I use it more than I thought I would.

Mike Dowell
06-17-2016, 8:10 AM
Sounds good. I'll just square it up and leave it there. That makes sense that a stop might move on me. Always best to check the measurement first.