PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a Stanley 78

Kenneth Fisher
06-13-2016, 10:52 PM
I seem to have nothing but problems with this type of plane, and I haven't even been able to use it.

I bought a craftsman 78 awhile ago, it had the wrong blade in it. I bought 3 other blades trying to find one that fits but no luck, so I shelved it. After reading Paul Sellers blog posts about Stanley 78s, I found a good deal on one and purchased it. Got it in the mail today, and guess what, had the wrong blade in it.

Are there any sources for this blades? I need one to fit a mid century 78 with depth control lever.

Thanks,
Ken

Bill Houghton
06-13-2016, 11:03 PM
The Craftsman could have been a Sargent, or a Millers-Falls. Either way, the blade is subtly different from the more common Stanley.

As to the replacement blade/cutter for your new Stanley: http://stjamesbaytoolco.com/

Kenneth Fisher
06-13-2016, 11:22 PM
The Craftsman could have been a Sargent, or a Millers-Falls. Either way, the blade is subtly different from the more common Stanley.

As to the replacement blade/cutter for your new Stanley: http://stjamesbaytoolco.com/

Its a Sargent made for Craftsman, and I found out exactly how different the blades between all three are.

Thanks for the link, I'll give them a call and see if it's the blade I need.

steven c newman
06-13-2016, 11:30 PM
For a Stanley or Wards No. 78 I would try nhplaneparts.com as Eric sells a lot of Stanley parts.

Jim Koepke
06-14-2016, 1:31 AM
I have an old one laying around. I will try to remember to find it and take pictures of it tomorrow to see if the blade might fit your plane.

Not sure what type of adjuster mine has.

jtk

Bob Glenn
06-14-2016, 9:33 AM
Let me know if you can't find one. I think I have an extra. Bob Glenn

Kenneth Fisher
06-14-2016, 10:20 AM
For a Stanley or Wards No. 78 I would try nhplaneparts.com as Eric sells a lot of Stanley parts.

I had forgotten about them, thanks for the reminder :)

I have an old one laying around. I will try to remember to find it and take pictures of it tomorrow to see if the blade might fit your plane.

Not sure what type of adjuster mine has.

jtk

Thank you Jim, that would be awesome.

Let me know if you can't find one. I think I have an extra. Bob Glenn

Thank you for the offer, I'll send a PM if I can't find one.

Jim Koepke
06-14-2016, 4:14 PM
Ken,

Just dug up my old rabbet plane. There is no accommodation for an adjuster. The back of the blade is totally smooth.

It has a broken lever cap and is pretty rusty. If you would like it, the whole plane, I will be able to get it to you tomorrow as the wife and I are traveling to Portland for an appointment at Kaiser Interstate in the afternoon.

jtk

Kenneth Fisher
06-14-2016, 8:30 PM
Thank you for the offer Jim, very kind of you. I think I'll pass though :)

Bob Glenn
06-16-2016, 5:33 PM
Ken, PM'd you. Same as the above, no adjuster slots on the bottom of the blade. Bob

Bob Glenn
06-16-2016, 5:42 PM
Ken, I just checked the bay. Lots of cheap 78's, one lot of three starting at a buck. Also at least one iron for nine bucks. Good luck. Bob

Frank Drew
06-18-2016, 3:48 PM
One of my favorite planes to use is Record's version, the 778. Better than Stanley's 78 in several regards, IMO.

steven c newman
06-19-2016, 8:41 PM
Been using my Wards ( Stanley) 78 for quite a while now, haven't had any problems yet. Of course, mine was on the minty side.......even has the depth adjuster lever. A bit hard on the left thumb, though. Have to watch how I grip the front end. Some companies placed a wooden knob up front, but then you cant use the bullnose option on them. Sargent added a cast "handle" sticking up ahead of the front end. It is also the first thing that breaks off.

Jim Koepke
06-19-2016, 9:04 PM
Sargent added a cast "handle" sticking up ahead of the front end. It is also the first thing that breaks off.

My Craftsman model has a little 'tongue' at the front. The blade has a 619 number on it. Do you know if that is the Sargent designation?

jtk

Glen Canaday
06-19-2016, 9:35 PM
The irons for the Millers Falls 85 and 95 (and MF-made Craftsman 107-37039 and 3730) fit the Stanley planes with the adjuster, but likely not the Sargent-made ones with the horn up front.

I have both and checked quite some time ago, if that helps any.

Glen Canaday
06-19-2016, 9:40 PM
My Craftsman model has a little 'tongue' at the front. The blade has a 619 number on it. Do you know if that is the Sargent designation?

jtk

Yes. 619 was Sargent (now ARPS corp, whatever that is), 107 was MF and 187 was (is?) Stanley.

steven c newman
06-19-2016, 10:03 PM
That little "tongue" is what Sargent cast on their version of the 78. Millers Falls used a different pattern on the tote part of the casting than Stanley...otherwise the same style.

Stewie Simpson
06-20-2016, 12:20 AM
The Stanley #78 is still an excellent plane to use despite its early vintage; the one I have is the Duplex model with the built in depth adjuster. Mine doesn't have the depth stop, but I don't find that a real issue. More importantly, the iron and knicker that's in service need to be sharp; the adjustable fence is set to match the required width of the rebate; and that you always work the depth of rebate with the grain.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/_DSC0161_zpsbf9m7onr.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/swagman001/media/_DSC0161_zpsbf9m7onr.jpg.html)

Jim Koepke
06-20-2016, 1:33 AM
Howdy Stewie,

Do you always use the #78 with two blades?

To the best of my knowledge they originally come with one blade and one lever cap.

jtk

Stewie Simpson
06-20-2016, 2:06 AM
Jim; I use the rear cutter (only) as it is in close proximity to the knicker (spur); the front cutter is set far forward to take any advantage of the spur's important role. An improvement in Duplex design would have seen 2 knickers in place; positioned slightly forward of the cutting edge on each iron. Attached are the instructions for the Stanley # 78 Duplex plane; within it notes the primary role of the front cutter. When the rebate is "stopped", or does not go the full length of the work, the Cutter should be fitted in the forward position in the Plane Body. http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~flip/wood/planes/stanley-078.html

Stewie;

Glen Canaday
06-20-2016, 1:28 PM
I am going to try that with my MF. I have two irons and two lever caps. The second set were supposed to go to a restore, but that looks like an awesome idea.

But it might be a dumb idea. I'll find out tonight after work.

Stewie Simpson
06-24-2016, 6:21 AM
The depth adjustment lever on the Stanley#78 was introduced in 1925.

Stewie;

Glen Canaday
07-04-2016, 8:08 AM
I am going to try that with my MF. I have two irons and two lever caps. The second set were supposed to go to a restore, but that looks like an awesome idea.

But it might be a dumb idea. I'll find out tonight after work.

I tried it. It was horrible. It just made the plane harder to push and without a depth adjument lever on the front, it was only possible to adjust either by hand or with a hammer. I shelved the idea.