PDA

View Full Version : Protecting a laser engraver.

Scott Boatner
06-13-2016, 6:19 PM
Very newbie, I'm preparing a shop for a laser engraver and various other woodworking tools including a cnc router. Anyone else had to deal with the issue of isolating the engraver from the sawdust etc. we have considered building an enclosure from lumber or even plastic sheeting. Any thoughts?

Keith Winter
06-13-2016, 7:22 PM
I'd put them in different rooms if possible, laser is semi-clean space CNC is more of a workshop or warehouse space from what I understand. You could probably use plastic sheeting but all the fine dust my go everywhere. Some studs plus drywall to the ceiling would be more effective. This is something I'm interested in as well so I'm interested to hear the replies.

David Somers
06-13-2016, 10:40 PM
Scott... I have my laser and CNC and wood lathe in my only space available, my garage. I could make rooms out of plastic sheet like you suggested but have not needed it so far. I work alone so I never have the laser running while something else is running. So I do not have a big dust source running as the blower fan is pulling air in from the shop into the laser. When not in use I have a cover I made for the laser (cloth) so it is protected from dust and stuff otherwise. My CNC is about 10 feet from the laser. The whole garage is roughly 20 x 24 so I cant get too far away from anything. The CNC has its own blower and dust collection. As does my wood lathe. I should add my lathe and CNC and laser are kept clean so if dust were entering the laser it would be pretty obvious to me.

If you have multiple machines running at one time I might be more concerned.

Dave

Bert Kemp
06-14-2016, 12:11 AM
When I transported my laser back from Ohio to Arizona in an open pickup I covered it with a tyvek motorcycle cover and it worked awesome . I rained for an entire day coming home and laser stayed dry. So that might work if you just run one machine at a time like Dave

Mike Null
06-14-2016, 7:27 AM
All my equipment is in my basement and I built some walls to make an office and an engraving room for the primary purpose of blocking out dust from my woodworking machines. That has worked well for me for nearly 20 years. I should add that my woodworking activities have tapered off to nearly nothing in the last few years.

My Trotec is 10 years old this month and you'd be hard-pressed to tell it from new.

Scott Boatner
06-21-2016, 9:03 PM
Thanks all, good to have access to shade knowledge