PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice on a walnut slab please

Steve Russell tucker
06-13-2016, 2:57 PM
Hello all I wasn't sure this was the right section for this for that i apologize I was given a nice crotch piece of walnut yesterday339001 it is more than 40 inches across and about 3 1/2 inches thick. and i don't think its done drying out yet I was wondering if I should seal it with something or just leave it to air dry ? any advice would be appreciated thank you for your time .
Thank you all,
S.

Danny Hamsley
06-13-2016, 4:20 PM
Seal the ends with wax unless you have a commercial end sealer like Anchorseal. Don't use paint. It is not useless as an end sealer, only close. You can get paraffin wax in the caning section of the grocery store. Melt the wax and apply to the end grain. Do not seal the flat surface. If the piece is green, put it in a garage or other outside covered building or shed for 6 - 9 months in a way that air can circulate on all side of the piece. Do not lay it flat on a floor or table. Air needs to circulate in all sides. If you want to lay it flat, you can cut a couple of 1.5" by 1.5" spacers on the flat surface, then the slab, then a couple more 1.5" x 1.5" spacers, then something over the top, like a small piece of plywood. After 6 -9 months, you can bring it inside a heated and cooled space like your house and prop it up in an out-of-the-way place in a way that air can circulate on all sides. Again, do not lay it flat. After a year, it should be good to go.

The best thing would be to test it with a moisture meter to determine the moisture content, and that will determine the best way to dry it. If you don't know the moisture content, then assume that it is wet and follow the above prescription. The good thing is that walnut is one of the easier thick species to dry. it just takes time a patience.

daryl moses
06-13-2016, 4:46 PM
I agree with ^^^^^^Danny. If there is any concern al all about it not being dry you need to seal the ends ASAP and get it in the shade. A gallon of anchor seal goes a long way and does help.

Steve Russell tucker
06-13-2016, 8:52 PM
Thank you both very much I have some paraffin wax blocks I will get on that asap the gentleman I got it from had slats under it for a few moths he said but he wasn't sure how long it had been drying so I just wanted to be safe ,I really appreciate the advice this is a first for me with a big chunk I don't want to mess it up thank you both again!!
S.

Jim Becker
06-13-2016, 9:31 PM
Yup...seal the end-grain...keep it stickered where there is good air flow and be patient. It's going to take a few years to dry properly.