PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan yellow Cedar - news to me and maybe to some of you?

rudy de haas
06-13-2016, 10:49 AM
The attached photo shows a piece of 11" wide Alaskan yellow ceder beside a piece of regular western red cedar. I had never heard of this stuff before and thought others might be interested. It is similar in texture, hardness, and density to red pine; has a very odd smell (like hashish oil); and cleans up very nicely.

Joe Calhoon
06-13-2016, 11:35 AM
AYC is one of the ultimate timbers for solid wood door & window building. Very stable and night and day difference from WRC. Pricy here in the states but not so north of the border.

Roy Harding
06-13-2016, 12:17 PM
We have a lot of it here in northern BC (right next door to Alaska). It is comparatively more expensive than red cedar.

I provide glued up yellow cedar panels for native carvers - they love carving the stuff. I also know that it is prized for arrow shafts. Personally, I don't use it much.

I don't like the smell (someone above mentioned that it smells like hash oil, I'd describe it more as a "swampy" smell, similar to the swampy smell I get from mahogany).

Here's the link (http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/softwoods/alaskan-yellow-cedar/) to The Wood Database entry on it.

Chris Fournier
06-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Oh it's expensive up here and it is not even a cedar botanically speaking. It is a cypress.

Pat Barry
06-13-2016, 1:18 PM
I can't imagine what hashish oil smells like or where I would go to actuallly smell it

Larry Browning
06-13-2016, 1:33 PM
I was wondering the same thing as Pat. Exactly how do you know what hashish oil smell like anyway? Oh, wait, are you from Colorado? That might explain it.

Andrew Hughes
06-13-2016, 3:31 PM
I like Yellow cedar I had bought some from a guy in Oregon that had more than 60 growth rings per inch,It looked like a stick of butter.I Used it for drawer sides,super stable.Some boards had a nice smell other boards smelled like the earth.
What is hash oil ?

Tom M King
06-13-2016, 5:22 PM
It's used for shingles in historic work where they can't find good Heart Cypress. I think it's okay, but I can get good (Bald) Cypress.

I'm not sure "growth rings" in Cypresses mean what people think they mean. We had to cut down a Bald Cypress that I know for a fact was planted in 1982, and it had at least a couple of hundred "growth rings". It was about ten inches in diameter.

Martin Shupe
06-13-2016, 11:42 PM
I like Yellow cedar I had bought some from a guy in Oregon that had more than 60 growth rings per inch,It looked like a stick of butter.I Used it for drawer sides,super stable.Some boards had a nice smell other boards smelled like the earth.
What is hash oil ?

I took a wood identification class in forestry school.

The professor taught us that AYC was easy to ID, because it smelled "like dirt".

Eric Schmid
06-14-2016, 1:01 AM
Apparently you can go to any lumberyard that sells AYC. Or take a trip to Oregon or Colorado:).

I always thought it smelled like a cigar box. Definetly has a distinctive smell though. Kind of ruins the whole WRC aroma when your supplier mixes one into the lumber pack.

Jon McElwain
06-14-2016, 5:50 PM
I helped reconstruct a galley roof on an old pleasure yacht years ago out of Alaskan Yellow Cedar. I still remember the smell - after a couple of months of being saturated with it, I got tired of it because it is very strong. It took at least 10 years before I was able to really enjoy the aroma again. It is reminiscent of some of the cedar varieties, but certainly distinct and every bit as strong as aromatic cedar.

I lived in Alaska for about 15 years and had the chance to carve some AYC with native friends, turn a little, and build architectural columns - really nice fine grain wood. Only problem I had was while sanding an AYC bowl on the lathe, I had the speed too high and heated up the wood. I ended up with little hairline cracks in the end grain portion of the bowl.

Native Alaskan's use the AYC for totem poles, carved canoes, and lodge poles. It's a great material for the outdoors, but as others have stated, expensive in the continental US. To actually buy enough to build a strip canoe or other item would be very expensive. In SE Alaska, we could cut it with a permit from the state.

Thanks for the post Rudy!

Jon

David Helm
06-15-2016, 12:43 PM
During my carpentering years I used a lot of Yellow Cedar. It is readily available here in Northwest Washington. In fact, I still have a number of 5/4, one by and two by boards in my lumber stash. If used outdoors it goes the same gray as WRC. A lot of yellow cedar gets milled from drift logs. Oh yeah, the smell, I love it.