PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple - like or not

Curtis Myers
06-12-2016, 9:24 PM
I know their are many wood workers who like Ambrosia Maple but my eyes don't see the appeal.

all the best
curt

Roger Chandler
06-12-2016, 9:27 PM
I generally like Ambrosia maple.....I have made quite a few projects over the years. Once in a while an ugly piece comes up, but most of the time it yeilds pretty projects.

daryl moses
06-12-2016, 9:42 PM
I like it.

Brian Brown
06-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Once in awhile I see an ambrosia maple project I like, but mostly I can do without. Not a fan of beetle poop. I won't buy any.

Curtis Myers
06-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Once in awhile I see an ambrosia maple project I like, but mostly I can do without. Not a fan of beetle poop. I won't buy any.

I like the saying under your signature.

Jamie Straw
06-12-2016, 11:42 PM
I've never turned Ambrosia maple, but I like it and the pieces I've seen made from it have been quite attractive. A flat piece of Ambrosia, as in the thumbnail, is not particularly inspiring. Make something round, though....I like.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-13-2016, 12:22 AM
I think I'll chime in. I don't mind it, I have bought some. What I do like, is the beetle holes are the perfect size for inserting fretboard side dots. Makes embellishing an otherwise fairly drab platter easy. Don't think I'll be buying any more though. A bowl is okay. The beetle marks are interesting. Different.

Prashun Patel
06-13-2016, 7:55 AM
I love ambrosia, spalted, and burl lumber because of - not in spite of - their humble origins.

Discovering the non-intuitive beauty in nature like this is precisely why I love this craft.

The designer/turner has the challenge of presenting it in its best light.

david privett
06-13-2016, 8:00 AM
just yesterday I made a meat tenderizing mallet out of some , mineral oil and beeswax looks good works well hopefully I wont get beat with it.

Stan Calow
06-13-2016, 9:57 AM
what I don't like is that I haven't seen, in person, a good finish technique that enhances the appearance.

Dok Yager
06-13-2016, 12:34 PM
I like ambrosia maple and have done quite a few pieces of it. They are unique and have a little extra appeal JMHO.

Mat Eliot
06-13-2016, 8:45 PM
I have been working with it a lot and I am absolutely amazed at the patterns these beetles can make. I love seeing what emerges. I keep some pieces on my desk at work and just keep staring at the patterns all the time. Its great!
Here are 3 examples:

14" end grain platter

5" x5" Hollow Form

9" Diameter end grain bowl from Ambrosia Red Maple that had spalted for a few years. This piece of wood has a lot going on.

The biggest issue is working with these end grain pieces and getting them to dry whole without cracking.

Mat