PDA

View Full Version : Blanket Chest Lid

Jim Gallo
06-12-2016, 9:09 PM
I am about to finish up a frame and panel blanket chest and have a question about the lid. What profile looks best on the lid and would you put the profile on the top or the bottom of the lid.
I don't want to just leave the edges square and think some sort of profile would look nice.

Thanks,

Jim

Andy Giddings
06-12-2016, 11:26 PM
Jim, a photo of the chest so far would help and/or a description of any profile that you've put into the frame and panel? Is it Mission style for example, do you have raised panels with profiles on the frame, are you using a solid lid or frame and panel lid?

Jim Gallo
06-13-2016, 6:48 AM
Thanks Andy. The chest is a ribbon stripe sapele frame and african mahogany panels. The lid is 3/4" baltic birch plywood veneered with ribbon stripe sapele with an african mahogany frame.

Jim

Troy Turner
06-13-2016, 7:47 AM
Morning Jim - I don't see why a chamfer wouldn't look good with the raised panel. I would think putting it on the bottom edge of the lid would look pretty good. Also, whatever you decide to do, make sure your hinges will fit afterwards (if you're using any).

Very nice looking chest!!!

Andy Giddings
06-13-2016, 9:53 AM
Thanks Jim and Troy is spot on, good looking chest.

It looks like your top is going to be a uniform thickness and I would assume you can't profile the inside of the frame because of the veneer panel? If that's the case and as your upright outer corners do not have any profile, I'd agree with Troy and use a simple chamfer. Tough to tell, but I would start with a very small chamfer bottom only, see how that looks on the raw panel and adjust. It may look better with a chamfer on both top and bottom

Stan Calow
06-13-2016, 9:53 AM
how about the same profile you have on the panels?

Jim Gallo
06-13-2016, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys. I have a few pieces of scrap leftover and I think I will make a couple test pieces wirh the chamfer top, bottom, top and bottom, and the panel profile. If I have any left, I will even make a test piece of the frame profile.
That is if I ever can get away from this nasty habit called a job.
Thanks again.

Jim

Jim Becker
06-13-2016, 11:22 AM
Yes, please do a bunch of test profiles so you can determine what compliments the raised panels the most.

Mark Blatter
06-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Something I did on the last couple of the ones I made for three of daughters was to attach trim around the outside edges of the lid. It made the seal much better to prevent bugs from getting inside. I attached it on the front and two sides. It almost touches and likely does touch in a few spots. When the lid is opened, there is a slight vacuum feel to it. It also added some depth, or thickness to the lid. Seems like it was 3/8" to 1/2" thick with an ogee profile routed on it.