PDA

View Full Version : How is the grizzly g0766 holding up?

Michael Rodgers
06-12-2016, 8:31 PM
I have been looking for a new lathe and this one seems to be gaining in popularity. All the reviews and comments I see are from before the banjo had been updated and would like to hear what some opinions are with the current crop of them please. I would love to get a pm3520a but I have a hard time spending $4000 on it, nothing against it just hard to spend that for one. Also looked at the revo 1836 but considering its about $700 more even now at $2250 on sale over the grizzly for 4" less swing is also hard to justify. I really like what the higher end lathes offer I just have a hard time spending that when it may sit in the corner for a month and then get used for a week. If I made money with it I would spend it, but turning is my relaxing time in woodworking. I make my living building cabinets, which was more fun as a hobby than a career. I have a JWL 1236 from when they were the blue color, and would like to upgrade to something more suited to green wood turning. What I want is to able to chuck up a piece of wood without having the lathe want to walk from having to spin at 600 rpm when I rough it out, doesnt have to be out of round much for that to happen. So whats the opinion, is the grizzly 0766 a solid machine? Thank you in advance.

Roger Chandler
06-12-2016, 9:11 PM
My G0766 is doing great. I like its power, performance and features. The extras like the cage and comparator arms are part of what adds to the cost of more expensive lathes, but you don't necessarily get a better lathe. While the original banjo was a bit small, Grizzly remedied that with a new one, and there is probably not a better value on the market for a large lathe.

That does not mean that the other Asian models from Laguna, Powermatic, etc are not also good lathes....you will pay much more, but the Grizz is a fine performer. Any lathe make can experience problems, and I have heard of everything from motor/inverter replacements, switches going bad, and other issues, on the more popular brands. Grizzly tech support is good, and they stand behind their product if you need parts & support, but you will have to do the service work with their tech person walking you through any repairs should you ever need them.

For the savings, value and quality I have gotten, that is a deal I accept.....may not be the deal every turner wants to accept, as Powermatic for example, will send a service person out to you while the unit is under warranty, from what I have heard.

Brice Rogers
06-13-2016, 12:55 AM
Many of the early problems and deficiencies in the G0766 have been corrected. So if you buy new you should be okay. You may need/want to drill out the banjo to 1" and file down the spindle shoulder. The lathe represents a lot of value for the cost.

My only two remaining issues are the spindle (undersized threads and short/stubby profile) and the speed potentiometer appears to be failing. On the first issue, Griz is supposedly in the process to fix it. On the last issue, I've replaced the post about eight months ago with a Griz replacement part. When I replace the second one, I'm going to buy a better quality potentiometer (it is a relatively inexpensive part).

I like the power, variable speed, reversing feature and the cost.

Michael Cole
06-13-2016, 11:22 AM
I have nothing to compare it to as this is my first lathe and have only had it for about a few weeks, but I am glad I got the 0766. I did a lot of research on line since I live in an area where I am not able to see/use lathes. This was highly recommended and I am very happy with it.

Steve Drinkut
06-13-2016, 12:09 PM
I have had mine since last September and have had no problems with it. I agree with all the previous statements. I would never be able to afford a PM or Robust and for my use, this lathe does for me what either of those would.

Dok Yager
06-13-2016, 12:31 PM
My G0766 is great! Plenty of power, nice variable speed and more than enough swing and length of bed. I have had No problems with mine and it continues to be a superb lathe for the money.

Jeff Nye
06-13-2016, 1:20 PM
I've had mine for a little over a year and have been very pleased. As mentioned, lots of power, easy to buy accessories for and has done all I've asked it to do. I did replace the speed control pot last week but it was straight forward and a relatively cheap and easy repair. I'm using he original banjo (not the one Grizzly sent out as a replacement) with Robust tool rests. If I was in the market I'd buy another and definitely recommend it.

Michael Rodgers
06-13-2016, 1:57 PM
Thank you for all the help and information. I was hoping this lathe was holding up well. I will be joining the green monster group shortly. Just need to find that 10% coupon I have read about, the lathe is in my cart right now.

Mark Greenbaum
06-13-2016, 2:00 PM
I can recommend it. Mine has performed as well as I can expect, and then some. Just wish I had more time to play on it. I've turn maybe 20 different medium sized bowls and a 13" platter, and many smaller items, and it performs excellently. Great value for the price, and yes, the Customer Service is very good. One fellow I had come over was thoroughly pleased with mine, ordered one for himself, and had to return it almost immediately because of electrical issues. Que sera.

kip allen
06-13-2016, 11:35 PM
I am glade you have settled on a lathe. I have owned a lot of Grizzly products in years past and can say they are a great company. Wonderful customer service and you can't beat the price. I, like you, was in the market to upgrade my lathe. Really want to get into green bowls and I didn't think my Nova 1644 was up to the task. After spending weeks reading every review on the G0766 and the Laguna Revo 1836. My wife and I even drove 91 miles to a Woodcraft store in Eugene, OR to see the Laguna first hand.

It was one of the hardest choices I have had to make. After careful consideration I ended up with the Laguna. I know it does not weigh as much, has less HP and costs more. So why you ask would I spring for the Laguna? I am sure the Grizzly is a fine machine and all but was put off with some of the reports on the spindle and banjo. On the other side the fit and finish on the Laguna is outstanding. I could not fine a single thing wrong with the thing. The head and tale stock matched up right on the money. The attrition to detail is truly refreshing. The design feathers are outstanding as well. Who ever designed this lathes knew what he was doing. There is only one thing I don't like about the lathe and that is you can't lock the spindle in place without holding in the red button in. Other that that I love it and am happy I went with the Laguna.

I guess it all boils down to personal preferences. Good luck, I know you will be happy with which ever one you end up with.

Michael Rodgers
06-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Hey Kip, I was about to send you a message about your lathe decision. I remembered reading you were on the same boat as me. I really like the laguna, mostly the fit, finish, and the details. Just like you some of the early reports I read on the grizzly were making me look elsewhere, im hoping they have a good batch of them at the warehouse right now. I haven't ordered yet, just waiting on a 10% coupon since I have a good size order. Have you been able to turn on yours yet?

kip allen
06-15-2016, 1:38 PM
Yes I have. Did some little spindle work just to get a feel for it. Then I mounted a green blank of oak, about 24 inches across. It worked well so far. It has lots of power to turn that size bowl but I might want to add some sand bags to the base. That or do a better job of mounting the blank a little better. The thing that impresses me the most is how smooth it is. FYI Craft supply is running a 10% off sale on there Laguna and when I brought that info to the attrition of Woodcrafter they gave the the discount as well.

Leonard Niemi
06-12-2017, 9:00 PM
I have had my G0766 right at one year now. Very happy with it so far. It's so nice to be able to turn the RPM way down for rough turning large pieces. I chose to pick mine up at the truck terminal so I could back right up to shop door to off load it in 5 pieces. One helper to help with the 2 heavest parts did the trick.

Roger Chandler
06-12-2017, 9:39 PM
Well, since this thread was reopened after a year from the last round of responses........I think I will give an update after another year of usage on my G0766. I used it today to turn a large piece of walnut to make a natural edge bowl. Got the thing turned and the bark was intact and thick. Ended up losing the bark when power sanding......bummer! :eek:

I am currently in the process of making a number of things, as the president of our gallery has offered me an entire display case at the front entrance of the gallery, and I am making things to fill it up here in a couple of weeks. My G0766 is such a great performer. As mentioned, plenty of power, variable speed, smooth and it has renewed my joy every time I turn on the thing. Even though I purchased a Oneway banjo for it back when Grizzly had put the same one as the 18/47 G0733, since I have gotten the upgraded banjo from them, I use it exclusively now. I have gotten several Robust rests for it, and could not be happier with the lathe overall.

After pretty heavy usage, I have not had one issue with my G0766. I have turned very large/heavy blanks on it, and some spindle work as well. I am really a happy camper. I think I was probably one of the first 5 people to get the G0766, so I have had a good bit of turning time on the lathe.

Guy Mueller
06-20-2017, 8:26 PM
No problem with my G0766

gary arnold
06-22-2017, 7:10 PM
Great machine with no problems.

Pat Bowman
06-22-2017, 9:43 PM
I've had mine a couple of months and love it .Ive roughed out about 20 large green cherry bowls.Also added a Hurricane H tc 125 chuck.Awsome setup!

Chris Hachet
08-30-2017, 9:19 AM
I have two vintage lathes (1939 Ward Power Craft and 1951 Oliver 159A). Want to thank everyone for their responses, if I ever add a third lathe to the shop this would be a contender I think.

Brice Rogers
08-30-2017, 12:10 PM
Chris, I have an old Sears circa 1950 wood lathe. I think that you'll really enjoy a modern lathe like the G0766 because it is easier to use, larger capacity and actually safer (at least for large items like a bowl). On my Sears lathe I need a wrench to move the tool rest and tailstock. On the Griz it is just a handle and repositioning is very fast. The Griz can handle things from small pens to large platters. On my Sears lathe with an out-of-round rough blank, it is always kind of scary to turn it on because the slowest speed is around 900 rpm whereas on the Griz, you can keep the speed as low as you need to keep the lathe from walking around the shop. Incidentally, the Griz is so much heavier than the Sears that it can handle out-of-balance pieces much better and safer.

ELY WALTON
08-30-2017, 5:38 PM
[...] I would love to get a pm3520a but I have a hard time spending $4000 on it, [...] .

Be aware that the Powermatic 3520b is deeply discounted now, in advance of the 3520c release... Just sayin'

Ely

Roger Chandler
08-30-2017, 6:59 PM
Be aware that the Powermatic 3520b is deeply discounted now, in advance of the 3520c release... Just sayin'

Ely

Even at the discount it is twice the price of a G0766, and I like the 3520b, but having turned on 11 of them to date, I can say the performance is not any better than the G0766!

Chris Hachet
09-01-2017, 8:26 AM
Chris, I have an old Sears circa 1950 wood lathe. I think that you'll really enjoy a modern lathe like the G0766 because it is easier to use, larger capacity and actually safer (at least for large items like a bowl). On my Sears lathe I need a wrench to move the tool rest and tailstock. On the Griz it is just a handle and repositioning is very fast. The Griz can handle things from small pens to large platters. On my Sears lathe with an out-of-round rough blank, it is always kind of scary to turn it on because the slowest speed is around 900 rpm whereas on the Griz, you can keep the speed as low as you need to keep the lathe from walking around the shop. Incidentally, the Griz is so much heavier than the Sears that it can handle out-of-balance pieces much better and safer.I have never turned any bowls but I want to try. The Oliver would make a fantastic dedicated spindle machine I think, and outboard turning ahs some appeal to me.

Chris Hachet
09-01-2017, 8:27 AM

ElyI love that lathe...although as only an occasional turner I find the larger Oneway more appealing for some odd reason.

dustin wassner
11-06-2017, 2:01 PM
I am considering the G0766, but I notice in a comparison between it and the G0733 which is a little smaller, the G0766 is stated as having a "cast iron bed" while the G0733 and G0694 are stated as a "precision ground cast iron bed". Any input on the difference in quality between the beds of these?

Roger Chandler
11-06-2017, 2:42 PM
I am considering the G0766, but I notice in a comparison between it and the G0733 which is a little smaller, the G0766 is stated as having a "cast iron bed" while the G0733 and G0694 are stated as a "precision ground cast iron bed". Any input on the difference in quality between the beds of these?
The quality of the cast iron bed is very good.....pretty much like the 3520b. Sometimes when Grizzly puts out a marketing statement, they don’t always get the details all included. I think both models you reference are the same....they are both manufactured by the same company.

dustin wassner
11-06-2017, 3:29 PM
Good point, I just thought it was odd for a few reasons: the two models that have a precision ground cast iron bed mention this in both the product comparison section and descriptions, and also I would think that if the 0766 had this, it would not be left out.

My main concern is because of headstock/tailstock alignment point to point throughout the entire distance of the bed.

Brice Rogers
11-06-2017, 4:20 PM
I have an old 1950's Craftsman and I can clearly see that the ways were machined on a mill and I can see circular tool marks created by an "end mill" during its manufacturing. .

On the G0766, the finish on the ways is very nice. I can affirm that they were not left in the machined state. There are no circular mill marks. In fact, when I got the G0766 there weren't any marks at all on the ways. The only way to get the G0766 ways to look so nice is to grind them. So, yes, they are ground. I haven't read about anyone having an alignment (center to center) issue after they correctly leveled their machine.

BTW, on the older G0733, I have read a few complaints about roughness or sharpness on the edges of the ways. So, while Griz may have advertised that it was "precision ground", there were some minor issues. But these complaints are superficial, as two minutes and a file would take care of that.

So the G0766 has ground ways. The finish on the ways looks nice. Keep in mind that you are not working on a metal lathe where having an imperfection of a thou or two can be an issue. A wood lathe is not nearly as critical.

dustin wassner
11-06-2017, 4:31 PM
thanks Brice. Another question for you, Rodger and any other G0766 owners was concerning the banjo bar on the upgraded banjo. I watched a video on youtube of someone swapping the parts out from the old banjo to the new one, and the rod that runs underneath the banjo looks like it is 3/4" dia or so. Hard to tell from the video, but for this size banjo, I am wondering how much the bar bends when the bar is being pulled in the middle.

I know that the American Beauty/3520/large Vicmarc, have a banjo bar that is 1.25"+ in diameter, and from the video, the G0766 looks considerable smaller. With that being said, if the Griz bar diameter works, then it works, just curious about its deflection...

Roger Chandler
11-06-2017, 6:35 PM
thanks Brice. Another question for you, Rodger and any other G0766 owners was concerning the banjo bar on the upgraded banjo. I watched a video on youtube of someone swapping the parts out from the old banjo to the new one, and the rod that runs underneath the banjo looks like it is 3/4" dia or so. Hard to tell from the video, but for this size banjo, I am wondering how much the bar bends when the bar is being pulled in the middle.

I know that the American Beauty/3520/large Vicmarc, have a banjo bar that is 1.25"+ in diameter, and from the video, the G0766 looks considerable smaller. With that being said, if the Griz bar diameter works, then it works, just curious about its deflection...No deflection of the bar....mine holds tight and does not slip. Proper adjustment is necessary, and if I were you I would either use some teflon tape on the threads or get a nyloc nut that fits.....it will prevent having to keep tightening it every couple times you turn.

Robert Willing
11-06-2017, 9:30 PM
No real problems with my G0766. Great Lathe.

David C. Roseman
11-07-2017, 9:35 AM

Dustin, I've had a G0733 for five years and a G0766 for two. Both have "precision ground cast iron beds". Headstock and tailstock alignment on both has been spot-on from day of set up. Both are fine machines. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to buy them again.

I agree with Brice's and Roger's other comments, as well, including on the banjo bar. Not an issue.

Mark Greenbaum
11-07-2017, 12:35 PM
The Lathe is solid, but the speed potentiometer is crap. Now I am on my 3rd, and I hope that's the end of that! A simple $2 part lays the machine down. Luckily, or not, I have been too busy to turn right now. But the Holidays are coming, and gifts must be made - Santa's ordered all the elves to get busy.

dustin wassner
01-04-2018, 9:39 AM
Hey everyone, after a lot of consideration I decided to move forward with the G0766. Looks like the timing was perfect as the price just went up $100...

For those of you using the grizzly banjo with other tool posts, did you drill or ream out the post hole? And if you did, were you able to still use the grizzly tool post that came with the machine?

Also, can someone comment on the spindle shoulder issue I have read about? Is it just a matter of filing down the corner of it?

I am really excited for it to arrive.

DW

Roger Chandler
01-04-2018, 11:43 AM
Hey everyone, after a lot of consideration I decided to move forward with the G0766. Looks like the timing was perfect as the price just went up $100...

For those of you using the grizzly banjo with other tool posts, did you drill or ream out the post hole? And if you did, were you able to still use the grizzly tool post that came with the machine?

Also, can someone comment on the spindle shoulder issue I have read about? Is it just a matter of filing down the corner of it?

I am really excited for it to arrive.

DWDustin, the best thing to do is to enlarge the banjo hole to 1" diameter with a twist bit and a little oil to lubricate the cut. You are only taking off about 1/64th from the 25mm. The original tool rest will do fine in that 1" hole, and if you go with the Robust rests, get the custom rests [same price as the long posts] made to 8-3/4" total height [ bottom of the post to top rail] and you will be a happy camper. The enlarged hole will allow you to get aftermarket accessories that use the standard 1" post like coring rigs, threading jigs, and other aftermarket rests with 1" post.

The spindle shoulder is machined to 1.260" and most after market chucks are 1.250" which is a .0010 difference, and the Grizzly chucks fit right with no mods. Some other chucks need a little taken off the spindle boss - super easy mod, ..... so just take a flat file and hold it flat against that area just behind the gap in back of the threads, with the lathe running at about 500 rpm, take a smidgen off, check your fit, repeat, test fit, and when you get it where your chuck insert will seat all the way back to the spindle shoulder you are good to go. Polish it up with some 400, then 600 grit at the same rpm, and it will look new. Go easy, as you do not want to take too much off, so test the fit of your chucks a few times during the process...again, this is super easy!

Brice Rogers
01-16-2018, 7:07 PM
<p>
On November 7th, 2017, Mark Greenbaum wrote: The Lathe is solid, but the speed potentiometer is crap. Now I am on my 3rd, and I hope that&#39;s the end of that! A simple $2 part lays the machine down.</p>
<p>
Today I was final turning a 16 inch platter and I do not typically run it at 1100 rpms for something that large. I thought that I had turned the knob way too far.&nbsp; I tried turning it down and it either wanted to run below a couple hundred rpm or 1100. Then I realized that my 2nd potentiometer died. I had a spare and the replacement job only took about 20 minutes. Not hard at all. I did a post-mortem of the pot and confirmed that the very fine wound wire had broken where the wiper was rubbing on it. The wire is very fine. I think that I am going to order a couple more from Griz to have on hand as well as buy a couple on eBay that in not wire-wound. They are inexpensive.&nbsp; I thought that I read somewhere that Griz was sending replacement pots for free upon request, but I cannot find that post and perhaps it was just a dream on my part. Other than the pot, I still like the lathe.</p>

Mark Greenbaum
01-16-2018, 11:07 PM
I have received both of my Grizzly replacement pots from them free of charge (one-time exception to warranty for the 2nd), and the USA made spare from a dealer in Miami, that was shipped new from Venezeula, to Panama, to Puerto Rico, to Miami to me all for $7. I have not done much turning on the 2nd replacement pot yet (maybe 10 hrs.) but knock on wood, it seems to wo

Brice Rogers
01-17-2018, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the info. It looks like a "jump ball" on getting a 3rd free pot. Also they don't cost that much. Cheaper than a package of sand paper.

I wish when I had it apart that I had taken some voltage measurements across the pot and done some additional diagnostics. If the circuit could support a lower resistance pot like a 2.5K or 1K wirewound, the thicker wire size may increase its life.

Allen Bradley used to make a good wire wound pot. But they merged or something with Honeywell and then Clarostat. Somewhere along the way I think that they replaced the wirewound with a carbon film. I suspect that the new-old stock AB pots are perhaps 20 years old.

I looked at a carbon film pot and its stated life was 25,000 operations. That seems like a lot, but I don't think that it is if you figure how many times you adjust the pot.

So maybe I'll buy a handful and be prepared to toss them when they go. I wonder what pots (value, type and manufacturer) the Robust and PM lathes use?

Chris Hachet
01-17-2018, 8:15 AM
Dustin, I've had a G0733 for five years and a G0766 for two. Both have "precision ground cast iron beds". Headstock and tailstock alignment on both has been spot-on from day of set up. Both are fine machines. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to buy them again.

I agree with Brice's and Roger's other comments, as well, including on the banjo bar. Not an issue.Thank you for your endorsement.

Think I will buy one this coming summer with summer overtime.

Jeff Walters
11-16-2021, 10:48 AM
I’ve seen comments in this thread that you may want to drill out the banjo to accept a 1” tool rest. I thought they fixed that with the new banjo and they now come with a 1” hole. Also, can you slide the tailstock off the end of the bed? I had a GO632 and had to unscrew the nut on the bottom to remove the tailstock which was a royal pain.
Jeff Walters

Richard Coers
11-16-2021, 10:55 AM
I’ve seen comments in this thread that you may want to drill out the banjo to accept a 1” tool rest. I thought they fixed that with the new banjo and they now come with a 1” hole. Also, can you slide the tailstock off the end of the bed? I had a GO632 and had to unscrew the nut on the bottom to remove the tailstock which was a royal pain.
Jeff Walters
You are reading a post that started over 5 years ago and the last post was almost 4 years ago.

Chris A Lawrence
11-16-2021, 4:57 PM
Jeff Walters

Yes the hole in the banjo is now 1" not a metric size. You can slide the headstock off the ways. It has a screw post between the ways at each end. You just remove that post.