PDA

View Full Version : Tried my first bowl this morning...

Jim Hinze
09-22-2005, 10:39 AM
It was a dry block of claro walnut.

I don't have pictures yet for 2 reasons:

1, it's still attached to the lathe. I bought it new and it didn't come with the renches to get the face plate off.

2, I cut too deep and can see the sacrifical block in the center of the bowl....

At any rate, I do have some questions. First off I haven't really read any books on bowl turning, seen any videos so if anyone has some suggestions for media, I'd appreciate it.

I did almost the entire bowl with a 1" bowl gouge and used a skew chisel on the outside for smoothing. The outside went very cool, very easily. The inside was rough. I started by hollowing out part of the center then working from the inside out to the edge, then reversing the edge to the inside.

In many instances the bow gouge would catch hard and gouge the surface. I'm guessing I was either taking too large of a cut, using the wrong tool or just need more practice???

If I cut through the bottom again, any thoughts for repair???

I'm going to call my local delta service spot and see if they stock the wrenches. When I get it off, I'll take a picture...

Harry Pye
09-22-2005, 11:27 AM
I think you just described what we all went through at one time or another.

Get a copy of Bill Grumbine's video. He will walk you through all the necessary phases of bowl making. Bill uses a bowl gouge on both the inside and outside of the bowl and shows you just how to hold it to get the best cuts.

Also go to the American Association of Woodturners site and look for a club in your area. Many clubs have mentoring programs. And, you may find a turner in your area that can help you.

Harry

Keith Christopher
09-22-2005, 11:32 AM
It was a dry block of claro walnut.
I don't have pictures yet for 2 reasons:

1, it's still attached to the lathe. I bought it new and it didn't come with the renches to get the face plate off.
2, I cut too deep and can see the sacrifical block in the center of the bowl....

If I cut through the bottom again, any thoughts for repair???

I'm going to call my local delta service spot and see if they stock the wrenches. When I get it off, I'll take a picture...

OUCHIE, been there.

Get if off the block and glue either a contrasting wood or same wood to the bottom ala segmented bowls and reattach and begin turning again. Also as a tip you can put some blue tape on the gouge marking the depth of the bowl and this will help you not go too far in.

Keith