PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 14BX or LT14x14SUV?

Joe Beaulieu
06-12-2016, 5:16 AM
Hey All,

After wrestling with my old Jet 14" bandsaw for much of the afternoon, I was given the blessing of SWMBO to order a new bandsaw. After looking real quick, I have narrowed my choices down to these twoLagua saws. My question is regarding how much I will regret getting the BX model vs the SUV just to save $300. The money is not the issue. The question is if I need that much saw. Anyone get the bx and wish they had gone for the SUV? Anyone have the SUV and can tell me if the better features are worth the extra scratch? I would really appreciate any feedback. I am leaning toward the BX just because I will still need to dump a good amount into all new blades, a mobile base, and other accoutrements. I do very general WW, and the only real resawing I might do would be to book match drawer fronts or something.

Thanks in advance folks

Joe

Curt Harms
06-12-2016, 9:02 AM
I haven't used either saw so can't speak to specifics. Generally though, I doubt you'll find many cases where people regret buying 'more' bandsaw. I'll bet you can find "I'm happy with my purchase but if I were doing it again I'd have gone for the bigger/beefier saw" more often. The only case I can think of is a larger saw that doesn't handle narrow blades well. If that matters, check the minimum blade width. I doubt the space required is much different and you say $ is not an issue.

Rich Riddle
06-12-2016, 9:07 AM
Of the two I would select the 14SUV model. It sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into a less expensive model BX. There is another option, but I only respond to choices with the ones you give. Check your e-mail.

terry mccammon
06-12-2016, 9:09 AM
Well since you ask, here I go. I have the SUV, I don't do any flat work, don't have the skill, experience, or tooling. All I do is turning and carving. That said, I love my SUV, I love the 3HP motor. While I don't do any flat work, friends come over from time to time and cut book matched slices, cut curves for legs and all that sort of thing, and it sure seems to please them. It is easy for me to say, but I think the SUV is worth it for the relatively small difference in price. I have cut soaking wet oak, cherry, maple, ash and walnut blanks that were 13" thick and never, ever have slowed the motor down. I have skidded the blade on the tires which is exciting.

While I am on the subject, I would think twice before getting the mobility base. I got it for reasons that escape me now and very seldom move my saw. There is a wobbly aspect to the base due to the wheels that I really don't like. In fact, depending on where you live I think we could make a deal on the mobility base as I took it off some time ago.

Joe Beaulieu
06-13-2016, 7:36 PM
Hey Folks,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I was leaning toward the BX, but I went with the SUV. I wanted the re-saw capacity after all - just thinking that I may want to make guitars in the future and being able to re-saw some nice birdseye or tiger maple would be a great thing to be able to do. Plus the 3 HP motor is just very appealing.

So anyone who bought one - how does it come packed? Is it in a crate? How much assembly is required? I need to ask a question about running an extension across my shop - I only have 220 in one location. What gauge wire should I use for a 20 foot or so run? Maybe 30' when ups and downs are considered. I assume 10 Ga. would be adequate. I think the Borg sells a cable that I can use to make an extension cord. Anyone?

Thanks all - this board is a great place to get advice.

Joe

Joe Beaulieu
06-13-2016, 7:41 PM
While I am on the subject, I would think twice before getting the mobility base. I got it for reasons that escape me now and very seldom move my saw. There is a wobbly aspect to the base due to the wheels that I really don't like. In fact, depending on where you live I think we could make a deal on the mobility base as I took it off some time ago.

Hey Terry,

I hear what you are saying about the mobile base - I have never found one that I thought was worth anything. They are awkward, and you need experience driving a damn aircraft carrier to spot a tool. However I had to move my big ol basement shop into a 2 car garage, and I hate to throw things away, so I really need to move the saw in and out. So I bought their base. I am in California - I think the freight would be more than the base, but thanks for the consideration. Keep yours, because you know they day after you sell it you will need to move the saw.

Joe

terry mccammon
06-14-2016, 11:59 AM
No doubt, however, when I took it off the saw the stability went up a lot and I have moved the saw a few feet several times by skidding it from side to side. So the thing sits in the corner. I need to get unlazy and bother to list it for sale/give away.
Hey Terry,

I hear what you are saying about the mobile base - I have never found one that I thought was worth anything. They are awkward, and you need experience driving a damn aircraft carrier to spot a tool. However I had to move my big ol basement shop into a 2 car garage, and I hate to throw things away, so I really need to move the saw in and out. So I bought their base. I am in California - I think the freight would be more than the base, but thanks for the consideration. Keep yours, because you know they day after you sell it you will need to move the saw.

Joe

joe maday
06-14-2016, 4:37 PM
Just run another 220v circuit or extend the existing 220v circuit. I think that anything over 20 feet should be permanent wiring.