PDA

View Full Version : Another Band Saw Problem

Mike Gresham
06-10-2016, 10:46 PM
I have a Powermatic 14" band saw. Tonight I changed the band from 5/8 to 3/8 and adjusted the bearings and tension as required. 6" into the cut there was a strange sound (bump, whump). I stopped the saw to see what had happened and discovered the tires on both wheels had partially jumped off the back of the wheels.

So, I go through the drill again. This time only the lower wheel tire is dislocated.

The tires have no adhesive and the wheels have a lip which I suppose is intended to hold the tire in place. The saw is around 10 years old. I've tried more and less tension, but it doesn't seem to matter. The band is centered on the wheel.

Do you think the tires have lost their tension due to age or have I missed something obvious?

I'll call Powermatic on Monday, but I thought someone might have already encountered this problem and have an answer.

John K Jordan
06-10-2016, 11:47 PM
I had a 14" bandsaw tire get loose, I imagine from old age. Some flexible materials can get soft from oils and solvents, but that shouldn't be a problem with a wood-cutting bandsaw. I replaced both tires. Not too long ago I had one self-destruct on my 18" bandsaw, after maybe 8 years. I suspect it got loose and got into the teeth of the blade.

I think some people glue the tires down but I didn't. I do like to keep spare belts, guide bearings, and table inserts on hand. I use the bandsaws more than any tool in the shop besides the lathe.

JKJ

Mike Heidrick
06-11-2016, 1:05 AM
Install some urethane tires from highland and get back to cutting. Carter as them too.

Larry Frank
06-11-2016, 7:41 AM
I recently bought urethane tires from Band saw Tire Warehouse on eBay and got great service and price. The tires have worked great.

I went to this supplier as I had an 60 year old Delta bandsaw with an unusual tire width. Nobody but this place had exactly what I needed.

Carroll Courtney
06-11-2016, 7:53 AM
Guessing that those tires are not original to the saw and of the plastic flavor.Not knowing anything about the newer PM but the older ones had rubber tires on them which requires gluing and crowing them.Over the yrs reading post about BS problems most were related to the plastic tires coming off.To get you back going quickly Mikes has the right ideal which I think will last you afew yrs, but Powermatic if you call them will want to sell you rubber tires.I went back with rubber tires on my 2-141,1-143 that was about 10 plus yrs ago.Doing rubber yourself is a big project in itself,I would say almost a day,doing plastic well pulling both wheels off which if all goes well bout 15mins or so.Installing the plastic which is tight as heck,figure in another 15 mins,so be on the safe side the most 1 hr down time.So you have couple choices,plastic or rubber both will work.There are some Youtubes that you can watch for some inspiration,good luck----Carroll

lowell holmes
06-11-2016, 9:05 AM
+1 for what Mike said.
I have a 14" Jet band saw. It was made by Powermatic. I replaced the tires about 10(?) years ago. I ordered urethane tires from Amazon. I had to boil them in water so I could stretch them enough to install. The tires were shaped and did not require gluing. The tires have held their shape and have not stretched.

glenn bradley
06-11-2016, 9:20 AM
As stated, if the tires have started this misbehavior I wouldn't waste any more time with them. Replacements are not expensive and are easily installed.

Mike Gresham
06-11-2016, 2:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies folks. New urethane tires it is.