PDA

View Full Version : A Promise Kept....

Rob Lee
06-10-2016, 3:28 PM
Hi -

I said I'd post pictures of the first pre-production large plow planes, so here are a few views of one of the first three made.

While I can't go into a ton of detail on what will/will not be part of the production release, I can guarantee a couple of surprises.

I should also point out, that few people within the company have seen the actual planes, or have any details about function, pricing, or dates .... they'll be seeing it here for the first time too.

Our plan is to have production available early fall 2017. There's a lot of tooling on this one, and we start the pattern work in about six weeks time, when the design is locked down. If we can do it faster, we will. I also anticipate setting a pre-order price for this one (it's nice to have a "bump" in sales to offset the capital outlay!). Again - we will set this as soon as we are confident that our costing is correct.

So, without further ado (and adieu),

Rob

Stew Denton
06-10-2016, 3:46 PM
Rob,

Pretty neat!

The gripe on metal plow planes has been that it is hard to keep the fence from slipping. How have you overcome that issue?

Stew

Tom M King
06-10-2016, 4:18 PM
I wish I had one of those next week. I look forward to the day that I can see how far I can throw the Record 044C that I bought new. Rob, if you don't have one in your collection, I'll send it to you. I still have the box it came in too, I believe. It's not fit to use for anything, but still looks almost new after 35 or 40 years. The depth stop on it used a screw that expanded a soft plastic sleeve as the lock, and was always completely worthless.

Rob Lee
06-10-2016, 4:27 PM
Rob,

Pretty neat!

The gripe on metal plow planes has been that it is hard to keep the fence from slipping. How have you overcome that issue?

Stew

Hi Stew -

I can confirm fence movement is not an issue on this plane.... (he says, avoiding the question)....

As we're still validating our decisions, which means testing of all functions by multiple users, and finalizing the exact design, I'm going to have to pass on answering design decisions until they're final. That's the trade-off for posting early pics....!

Cheers -

Rob

Stew Denton
06-10-2016, 5:03 PM
Hi Rob,

That is good news! I bet it will be a popular plane, that being the case. Overcoming the movement issue is the main thing, I guess. I don't think how you folks did it will be nearly as important to most of us as that you did.

Stew

Steve Bates
06-10-2016, 5:18 PM
Looks Great Rob! Thanks for the pictures. Looks robust and solid.

I'm wondering if it MAY accept Stanley's #55 combination plane blades? Just curiosity since you're still in design mode.

Ya don't ask, ya don't get.

Frederick Skelly
06-10-2016, 5:29 PM
Thanks for the preview Rob! (And BTW, thanks for offerring the upgrade kit for my small plow. Very glad I did that.)

Stew - FWIW, the fence doesn't slip on my LV Small Plow Plane.

Patrick Chase
06-10-2016, 7:50 PM
Just take my money now.

Like others I don't have fence-slippage problems on the plow (or any of Veritas' other collet-based designs for that matter).

Normand Leblanc
06-10-2016, 8:16 PM
The fine adjustment knob for the fence seems to be a good idea. Also two depth stop when dealing with larger blades should help.

I do have fence slippage problems but not with the small plow plane, it's with the skew rabbet plane.

Rob Lee
06-10-2016, 8:23 PM
Looks Great Rob! Thanks for the pictures. Looks robust and solid.

I'm wondering if it MAY accept Stanley's #55 combination plane blades? Just curiosity since you're still in design mode.

Ya don't ask, ya don't get.

Stanley and Record Steve.....

Cheers,

Rob

Phil Mueller
06-10-2016, 9:55 PM
I love it for no other reason than the umteem brass knobs...how cool is that.

Simon MacGowen
06-11-2016, 12:56 AM
I always wonder why some have reported slippage problems with the fence or even the old depth stop. I have owned the skew and plow not longer after they were released and used them on many projects -- many more than their average users, I'm sure -- and have never slipped on the stop or fence. I suspect dull cutters or over use of force contributed to many, if not all, of the slippage problems reported. I know someone has come up with a strap product that is supposed to be used to tighten the fence knob. Finger force -- plus sharp cutters and gentle pushes -- is all that is needed in my case.

Simon

Andrew Hughes
06-11-2016, 1:02 AM
I like the old box.:)

Jim Koepke
06-11-2016, 12:27 PM
I always wonder why some have reported slippage problems with the fence or even the old depth stop.

When you are older and dealing with arthritis you will no longer wonder.

Rob,

Looks like a great plane. I also like the dual depth stops. I find them especially helpful with beading work.

My only concern is there doesn't seem to be a locking device for the adjustable fence. Maybe I am just used to my old Stanley #45 and its ways.

jtk

Rob Lee
06-11-2016, 3:23 PM
When you are older and dealing with arthritis you will no longer wonder.

Rob,

Looks like a great plane. I also like the dual depth stops. I find them especially helpful with beading work.

My only concern is there doesn't seem to be a locking device for the adjustable fence. Maybe I am just used to my old Stanley #45 and its ways.

jtk

Hi Jim -

No worries, the fence locks. Not everything is visible ( or shown ) in the photos. We are still working on some design elements, and testing some decisions.

What you see is the basic form of the design...but not the final one.

Cheers,

Rob

Simon MacGowen
06-11-2016, 9:40 PM
Thanks. Never thought of that as others gave me the impression that it was a design issue causing the slippages.

Simon

Patrick Chase
06-11-2016, 11:01 PM
Thanks. Never thought of that as others gave me the impression that it was a design issue causing the slippages.

Simon

Opinions differ on that count. As a (lapsed) mechanical engineer I think that the existing fence retention on the Plow was/is overkill, if anything. With that said I've worked on plenty of programs where we engaged in overkill because customers demanded it :-).

Mark AJ Allen
06-12-2016, 8:19 AM
I always wonder why some have reported slippage problems with the fence or even the old depth stop. I have owned the skew and plow not longer after they were released and used them on many projects -- many more than their average users, I'm sure -- and have never slipped on the stop or fence. I suspect dull cutters or over use of force contributed to many, if not all, of the slippage problems reported. I know someone has come up with a strap product that is supposed to be used to tighten the fence knob. Finger force -- plus sharp cutters and gentle pushes -- is all that is needed in my case.

Simon

It does seem strange ... but my depth stop slipped day one. I just thought it was technique, but as I learned going forward, it never improved. I got the upgrade though .. .problem solved.

Not that I can see but will this plane have nickers for doing dadoes? . .. EDIT: NVM, I see them now.

Phil Mueller
06-12-2016, 10:44 AM
This got me thinking. I'm not familiar with these planes, but would like one in the near future. At what point (size of stock, groove, etc, ?) would you move to a large plow plane versus the small plow plane? In other words, what are the unique advantages of small vs large?

Thanks!

Jim Koepke
06-12-2016, 11:22 AM
This got me thinking. I'm not familiar with these planes, but would like one in the near future. At what point (size of stock, groove, etc, ?) would you move to a large plow plane versus the small plow plane? In other words, what are the unique advantages of small vs large?

Thanks!

Phil,

My only comparison to address your question comes from using a large plow plane like the Stanley #45 and a small plow plane like the Stanley #50.

The #50 is great and easy to use on small grooves of ~1/2" or less. Having a bit more mass helps when working with the wider blades, rabbeting, beading or tongue and groove cutting. The #45 is able to do the small work, it just isn't as agile.

jtk

Phil Mueller
06-12-2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks Jim. Will have to give this some thought.

Gary Muto
06-14-2016, 3:11 PM
Rob,

That's great news. Thanks so much for the heads-up.

Stew Hagerty
01-31-2017, 12:17 PM
Hey... I just noticed... NICKERS!!! Well alright!

William Fretwell
01-31-2017, 10:36 PM
The handle position is strange. As the pushing force is to the right of the blade it will try and skew the blade to the left pushing the fence away from the work. This seems counter productive. The pushing force between the fence and the blade left would keep the fence in contact and make more sense. It seems a second handle to push the fence against the work will be needed. No escaping Newton's Laws!

Eleven brass knobs; must be some kind of Record!

Cliff Polubinsky
02-01-2017, 8:42 AM
Rob,

Without the fences and depth stops that thing looks like it could work as a molding plane. Any thought given to that?

Cliff

Derek Cohen
02-01-2017, 9:04 AM
The handle position is strange. As the pushing force is to the right of the blade it will try and skew the blade to the left pushing the fence away from the work. This seems counter productive. The pushing force between the fence and the blade left would keep the fence in contact and make more sense. It seems a second handle to push the fence against the work will be needed. No escaping Newton's Laws!

William, the plough I have has 14 brass knobs! It is marvellously blingy!

The handle is a beaut. It is larger than that on the Small Plow which, after using the Large Plow, feels cramped in comparison. I really like the handle on the Large Plow - it is both comfortable and balanced. The package is excellent from an ergonomic perspective.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
02-01-2017, 12:37 PM

William, you would be surprised at how well many different plow and combination planes have worked very well with similar handle orientation. To heck with Newton's laws when a tool is in the hands of a woodworking user. If Newton's laws were taken to the extreme the handle would have to be adjustable side to side to be in the optimum position for each blade. Why not just stay with what has been proven to work for more than a century?

Rob,

Without the fences and depth stops that thing looks like it could work as a molding plane. Any thought given to that?

Cliff

All one needs to make simple moldings are blades for making beads and flutes. The rest is up to the imagination of the user. Further into the future, who knows what blades will be released? There are many shapes that could be made as long as two points of the blade are full depth at the skates. To create more complex moldings with a single blade one of the skates has to be adjustable like on the Stanley #55.

jtk

William Fretwell
02-01-2017, 5:51 PM
William, you would be surprised at how well many different plow and combination planes have worked very well with similar handle orientation. To heck with Newton's laws when a tool is in the hands of a woodworking user. If Newton's laws were taken to the extreme the handle would have to be adjustable side to side to be in the optimum position for each blade. Why not just stay with what has been proven to work for more than a century?

jtk

Hi Jim,
I just googled a bunch of old plough planes from the previous century. I looked at the pictures and guess what?

Every single one has the handle directly behind the blade. Imagine that! Planes with the handle directly behind the blade.

William Fretwell
02-01-2017, 5:57 PM
William, the plough I have has 14 brass knobs! It is marvellously blingy!

Derek

Hi Derek,

If your plane is a Record breaker, it must be a Stanley! :)

Jim Koepke
02-01-2017, 9:08 PM
Hi Jim,
I just googled a bunch of old plough planes from the previous century. I looked at the pictures and guess what?

Every single one has the handle directly behind the blade. Imagine that! Planes with the handle directly behind the blade.

I can not tell much from the images of the plow plane posted at the beginning of this thread. It looks right behind the blade to me. The Veritas Small Plow Plane certainly is.

jtk

William Fretwell
02-02-2017, 7:31 AM
I can not tell much from the images of the plow plane posted at the beginning of this thread. It looks right behind the blade to me. The Veritas Small Plow Plane certainly is.

jtk

Jim the pictures are very clear! The handle is to the right. The pushing force to the two rods both drags and pushes the blade.
The very long fence with its wood insert will wear at the back more than the front as the leading edge of the fence will be pushed away.
Easy to test, just apply a thin coat of paint to the inside of the fence and use it to see where it wears. Ideally it would wear more at the front of the fence, as the fence is supposed to guide the blade. My money is on it wearing more at the back; that would be disappointing.

Derek Cohen
02-02-2017, 7:52 AM
William, perhaps the pictures distort the alignment. As one who has used the plane, I can assure you that the handle and blade is coplanar.

I am surmising here since I have not looked at the pictures again, but perhaps what you see is the second skate. As with the Stanley #45 and other similar ploughs, this could be mistaken for an offset bed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Don Orr
02-02-2017, 9:46 AM
Beautiful work as always Rob-thanks for the preview!

Tony Wilkins
02-02-2017, 10:27 AM
Rob. If you have pictures of any other of your upcoming projects;)

If you're still down with Derick watching the toilets spin in the other direction then ignore this and enjoy your trip :)

Jim Koepke
02-02-2017, 12:34 PM
One must also remember the pictures are of prototypes. Who knows what changes may lurk in the path to production?

The shadow knows...

jtk

-as an old time radio fan I just couldn't resist.

Shawn Pixley
02-02-2017, 2:36 PM
Jim the pictures are very clear! The handle is to the right. The pushing force to the two rods both drags and pushes the blade.
The very long fence with its wood insert will wear at the back more than the front as the leading edge of the fence will be pushed away.
Easy to test, just apply a thin coat of paint to the inside of the fence and use it to see where it wears. Ideally it would wear more at the front of the fence, as the fence is supposed to guide the blade. My money is on it wearing more at the back; that would be disappointing.

Boy do we see the pictures differently. The handle appears aligned with the blade to me. The parallax due to the angle and the fact that the handle support is above the the non-integral skates seems to cause the confusion. Derek has tested a prototype. If he says they are aligned, it is good enough for me.

Karl Andersson
02-03-2017, 7:41 AM
I think I can see what William's concern is; in the pictures it looks like the skate on the "main" frame - the frame the handle attaches to- is on the furthest left edge of the frame when looking down at the plane while using it. Granted, the frame is only about 2cm wide (apparently), so the right edge of the blade is almost centerline on the frame - but then the rest of the blade goes off to the left, and on wider blades that causes leverage and would make the plane turn left if you tried to use it one-handed.

William, please correct me if I misunderstand you, but to me it looks like you're saying there isn't a handle for the left hand (on a right-handed plow plane) to guide and push the fence against the work? If that's your concern, the bowed frames of the fence, between the rods, is that second handle. I'm probably misunderstanding you, as surely you've used a Stanley combination plane (#45, 50, 55) that rely on the same left hand action.

FWIW, I have a Veritas small plow and a Stanley 55 and both have the skates of the main frame centered in the casting, not oriented to the side as it appears in these pictures of the large plow prototype. If you look closely at the last two pictures Rob provided, the skate is off-center and milled straight off the left side of the casting. I don't think it would be much of a problem in use, with the off-hand lightly pushing in against the fence.

Karl

Patrick Chase
02-03-2017, 1:27 PM
As one who has used the plane...

I think that counts as a "gloat" :-)

Jim Koepke
02-03-2017, 1:34 PM
on wider blades that causes leverage and would make the plane turn left if you tried to use it one-handed.

Anyone who has used a plane with a fence has likely learned using it one handed doesn't work too well.

There are a few ways to deal with the rods sticking out.

One is to set the rods so the excess comes out on the opposite side of the plane body as the fence.

Another is to make your own side handle:

This is a piece of scrap drilled to match the size of the rods and the distance between the rods.

The knob on the skate of the Stanley #45 can cause a problem of getting the fence to align properly to the work. The #55 does a much better job of this.

jtk

Karl Andersson
02-03-2017, 1:53 PM
I understand and agree, Jim - I wasn't sure if William was suggesting a knob as on the #45, like you show, or not. I believe he's pretty experienced, so I'm sure I misunderstood his concern somewhere along the line.

I was curious if the knob on the fence helped at all, since grasping/ pushing the fence frame does seem to work just fine; your comment seems to imply that it doesn't.

Even though the space between rods leaves a pretty small space for holding the fence on the Veritas small plow, it's still more comfortable than what I end up doing with my left hand while planing with the #78 rabbet/ filetster - that's downright painful sometimes.

Jim Koepke
02-03-2017, 3:34 PM
I understand and agree, Jim - I wasn't sure if William was suggesting a knob as on the #45, like you show, or not. I believe he's pretty experienced, so I'm sure I misunderstood his concern somewhere along the line.

I was curious if the knob on the fence helped at all, since grasping/ pushing the fence frame does seem to work just fine; your comment seems to imply that it doesn't.

Even though the space between rods leaves a pretty small space for holding the fence on the Veritas small plow, it's still more comfortable than what I end up doing with my left hand while planing with the #78 rabbet/ filetster - that's downright painful sometimes.

For me and likely others, the left hand is used keeping the fence against the guide surface. Using the knob only presses against the front of the fence. Forward effort on the knob will tend to kick out the trailing edge of fence and might cause a skewing of the plane.

On the Veritas Small Plow Plane the rods terminate inside the fence casting. The outside of the fence is comfortable and nests into the left hand. It feels like it is supposed to be there.

For the #78 rabbet/filester you could make a knob to slip over the rod to make it more comfortable. It is amazing how much a little comfort can change one's thoughts on a tool.

jtk

Kevin Hampshire
02-03-2017, 4:45 PM
Rob, I certainly Look forward to helping you with your "capital outlay" when this is released.You already have my address!

William Fretwell
02-03-2017, 5:14 PM
My concern is the force from the handle appears to be to the right of the blade, especially when viewed from underneath. The blade is between the skates. This would tend to skew the blade left. Clearly it's far more comfortable using both hands so the left hand deserves a handle rather than just holding the fence, especially if you intend to do lots of work with it.
I will wait until it hits the stores for a real look. It may be model 2 or 3 before I'm tempted. Clearly this will not be inexpensive and in my age group it has to be able to keep me happy forever! Why can there not be a big 'horseshoe' from the back with two identical handles?

Derek Cohen
02-03-2017, 7:44 PM
William, technically and theoretically you are correct, but in practice this is not the case. The Large Plow is essentially a scaled up version of the Small Plow, and I rather doubt anyone has stated that it pulls to one side. Rather the opposite, in fact. The Large Plow is exceptionally stable and controlled.

I shall post one picture, just to illustrate the relative sizes of the two planes. Those who have used a Small Plow will be able to anticipate and visualise how the Large Plow is likely to feel in use.

Both planes are in grooving mode (the Large Plow has the second skate removed) ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/LV%20planes/Large%20Plow/5a_zpsp30fixjs.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
02-03-2017, 10:12 PM
My concern is the force from the handle appears to be to the right of the blade, especially when viewed from underneath. The blade is between the skates. This would tend to skew the blade left. Clearly it's far more comfortable using both hands so the left hand deserves a handle rather than just holding the fence, especially if you intend to do lots of work with it.
I will wait until it hits the stores for a real look. It may be model 2 or 3 before I'm tempted. Clearly this will not be inexpensive and in my age group it has to be able to keep me happy forever! Why can there not be a big 'horseshoe' from the back with two identical handles?

If you haven't noticed Veritas products do not change much down the road. There is a lot of effort put in toward getting it right the first time.

The 'horseshoe' would only work if the blades were all the same size. Even with a hinge in the 'horseshoe' it would still be a tougher job to steer the plane from behind than to have one hand on the fence holding it to the side of the work.

After rereading this again:

Hi Jim,

It comes to mind that you may have never used a plane like the Stanley #45, #50 or #55. The handles are centered on the main body. Since the width of blades varies on the #45 & #55 from 1/8" to 1-1/4" it would be impossible or at least impractical to have a handle that was centered on all of the blades.

To my knowledge there isn't a plow plane made to be used one handed while holding a cold beer in the other.

Before making more comments about the handle being misaligned, how about we wait for the first ones to be shipped?

I shall post one picture, just to illustrate the relative sizes of the two planes.

Oh oh Derek, you have given away the secret about the two screws holding the adjustable fence. Well at least that answers a comment of mine made earlier.

jtk

Stewie Simpson
02-03-2017, 10:34 PM
I wont ask the question directly but it does seem rather odd that the rear tote has been included in the scaling up. Its not as though your controlling hand is going to change in size from swapping over from the smaller plough plane to the newer larger version. 14 shiny brass knobs, its incredible what design engineers can come up with.

Derek Cohen
02-03-2017, 10:44 PM
I wont ask the question directly but it does seem rather odd that the rear tote has been included in the scaling up. Its not as though your controlling hand is going to change in size from swapping over from the smaller plough plane to the newer larger version. 14 shiny brass knobs, its incredible what design engineers can come up with.

Well Stewie, since you ask about scaling up, it is no different from the scaling up when one moves from a #3 to a #4 Stanley or LN or similar. Increasing mass transfers to the design needs as the change alters the dynamics. Overall, the designers have done a great job. Yes, 14 brass knobs. All have a purpose. After all, this is a combination plane.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Stewie Simpson
02-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Derek; I may invest in this new plough plane down the track to fill a void in my current tooling, but I will wait until at least 12 months after its released to the market to insure all the design bugs have being ironed out. I had a quick look at the placement of those 14 shiny brass knobs and its likely that if and when I purchase it, I will likely add a drop or 2 of lock tight to at least a 3rd of the knob threads to prevent them slacking off over time. There is another matter I need to discuss with you, and I will send it via pm in the next few minutes.

regards Stewie;

Derek Cohen
02-03-2017, 11:33 PM
Stewie

I will reply to your PM a little later, but just to emphasise for you and all that the picture above is of a pre-production plane. There may be differences in the production version, as there are some differences from the version posted by Rob. I posted the picture above with some reluctance, and only did so because I believed that it was important to settle the question that William raised. With regards the knobs, the plane I have works extremely well. Every knob tightens and loosens as one would wish. The fence does not drift, and the depth stop is a great design. I do not want to say or show more at this stage since it is not my place to do so. None of this information would have been posted if it were not for Rob having posted about the plane already, and the questions that followed. At some stage I can see that a full review is needed, but let's wait until the production version is out.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Stewie Simpson
02-03-2017, 11:42 PM
Derek; understand and appreciate your feedback that the version shown within your photo is the pre release version that may alter within its final design, prior to release on the market.

regards Stewie;

Jim Koepke
02-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Derek,

Are the blades for the large plow and the small plow interchangeable?

jtk

Derek Cohen
02-04-2017, 6:52 PM
Yes, Jim. However, there are a number of new blades as well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
02-04-2017, 7:36 PM
Yes, Jim. However, there are a number of new blades as well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek, I would expect more and wider blades to be available for the large plow. Heck, maybe some fluting or reeding blades. Will we see the possibility to order some custom ground blades like Stanley used to offer? That could be an expensive venture in today's world.

jtk

Derek Cohen
02-04-2017, 7:45 PM
Jim, I have no idea about custom blades, or the full range of blades. I think that I am at the limit of the information I can comment on - as I mentioned before, I am not their spokesperson, and cannot release any before Lee Valley does. Perhaps Rob will pick up on this thread.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
02-04-2017, 11:19 PM
Perhaps Rob will pick up on this thread.

He most likely will.

jtk

Gary Muto
02-05-2017, 2:17 PM
William, technically and theoretically you are correct, but in practice this is not the case. The Large Plow is essentially a scaled up version of the Small Plow, and I rather doubt anyone has stated that it pulls to one side. Rather the opposite, in fact. The Large Plow is exceptionally stable and controlled.

I shall post one picture, just to illustrate the relative sizes of the two planes. Those who have used a Small Plow will be able to anticipate and visualise how the Large Plow is likely to feel in use.

Both planes are in grooving mode (the Large Plow has the second skate removed) ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/LV%20planes/Large%20Plow/5a_zpsp30fixjs.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for the photos. It shows the relative size well.

Stew Hagerty
02-05-2017, 3:01 PM

Regards from Perth

Derek

OK, I hate going off topic a bit, but here goes. I have the small plow plane and use it all the time. I really enjoy this well thought out tool. My question is, I have never added a wooden auxiliary fence and I was wondering what the advantages of doing so might be?

Jim Koepke
02-05-2017, 3:17 PM
OK, I hate going off topic a bit, but here goes. I have the small plow plane and use it all the time. I really enjoy this well thought out tool. My question is, I have never added a wooden auxiliary fence and I was wondering what the advantages of doing so might be?

There are a few things a wooden fence can provide. One is a deeper area of registration to the work. Another is a longer piece to keep the plane going true. Finally, a wood against wood interface is less likely to leave marks on some woods.

Most of the time my metal fences do not mark my wood, every once in awhile they do.

The easy way to find out if you like it is to try it. You can always remove it if it doesn't suite your liking.

jtk

lowell holmes
02-05-2017, 5:10 PM
I have a wooden fence on my small plow plane. It was the first thing I did when I got the plane.
I have extra fences to put on when I need them. You might want fenced of varying lengths and, or heights.

The wooden fence is also handy for marking reference spots on the fence. I do it from to time.

Stew Hagerty
02-06-2017, 12:57 AM
There are a few things a wooden fence can provide. One is a deeper area of registration to the work. Another is a longer piece to keep the plane going true. Finally, a wood against wood interface is less likely to leave marks on some woods.

Most of the time my metal fences do not mark my wood, every once in awhile they do.

The easy way to find out if you like it is to try it. You can always remove it if it doesn't suite your liking.

jtk

I have a wooden fence on my small plow plane. It was the first thing I did when I got the plane.
I have extra fences to put on when I need them. You might want fenced of varying lengths and, or heights.

The wooden fence is also handy for marking reference spots on the fence. I do it from to time.

Thanks Jim & Lowell, I guess I'll give one a try next time I break it out.

Erwin Graween
02-06-2017, 1:56 PM
Hi,

Oh boy I'm dreaming for this plane since so long. I can't wait for this plane to release....
Will be hard :)

Regards,
Graween.

lowell holmes
02-06-2017, 2:56 PM
I have the Veritas Small Plow Plane. It has done everything I've ask of it, Including grooves, and beads. I have all of the irons for it, which iirc, includes plowing grooves as wide as 3/8". It also will plow toungue and groove.

I just can't get excited about a large plow.

As the old saying goes, "Different Strokes for Different Folks". :)

Jim Koepke
02-06-2017, 5:01 PM
I have the Veritas Small Plow Plane. I has done everything I've ask of it, Including grooves, and beads. I have all of the irons for it, which iirc, includes plowing grooves as wide as 3/8". It also will plow toungue and groove.

I just can't get excited about a large plow.

As the old saying goes, "Different Strokes for Different Folks". :)

For many a small plow plane will do all they ask of it. For some who work with larger joinery a large plow may offer a better solution:

Above is a 1-1/4" blade being used. That is a bit big for the physics of a small plow plane. Likewise some other blade designs would be a bit much for a small plane to handle. Of course for those who do not anticipate using wider blades a small plow might be preferred. Currently my #45 seldom gets used for a 1/4-1/2" slot. The smaller work is more suited to a #50, one of Stanley's answers to a small plow plane.

Also when using a reeding blade, for multiple beads on a single blade, there is a lot more surface being removed than a straight blade. This is where a more substantial plane body is an aid.

jtk

Jason Dean
02-06-2017, 5:48 PM
That looks awesome Jim! Do you mind if I shamelessly copy your extra wooden handle idea? It looks like that gives you a place to steady/guide the plane without torquing on your fence screws.

Jim Koepke
02-06-2017, 7:26 PM
That looks awesome Jim! Do you mind if I shamelessly copy your extra wooden handle idea? It looks like that gives you a place to steady/guide the plane without torquing on your fence screws.

Be my guest Jason, you have my blessing. That is why it was posted years ago in the first place.

If you do something fancy please post pictures.

jtk

Christopher Charles
05-08-2017, 6:29 PM
Rob,

Having just cleaned out my piggy bank on your shooting plane, I'll ask if you're still on track for a fall release of the large plow plane (with intro pricing)...

Best,
Chris

Rob Lee
05-09-2017, 8:59 AM
Rob,

Having just cleaned out my piggy bank on your shooting plane, I'll ask if you're still on track for a fall release of the large plow plane (with intro pricing)...

Best,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes, we're still on track for releas by fall. No marketing info released yet though....

Cheers,

Rob
(PS...thanks for the order!)

Christopher Charles
05-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the update Rob!

John Sanford
05-11-2017, 6:30 PM
A request/suggestion for Rob:

Put together a nice little PDF, perhaps even with an accompanying video, of a box build both USING the plow planes (large and/or small) AND most importantly, FOR the planes. Complete with storage solution for ALL of the blades y'all offer. Measured drawings, yadda yadda yadda.

Mike Brady
05-12-2017, 9:49 AM
Handworks is the premier stage for hand tools, bar none. If you want exposure for a product, that is the place to get it. Interestingly, it is a "closed" entity. Not everyone can show his wares there. I talked with one very accomplished tool maker who was excluded from showing there for undisclosed reasons.

I applaud the handful of vendors who are bringing stock with them to sell. This is completely within the spirit of the event and the venue. Let the commerce begin! Its is too bad that Lee Valley is not able to at least show their prototypes of the plow plane. Perhaps they learned from Lie-Nielsen that it's not nice to tease and then withhold.

If you are going, give your fellow Creekers a "Howdy" and the secret handshake. See you there.

Rob Lee
05-15-2017, 9:19 AM
Handworks is the premier stage for hand tools, bar none. If you want exposure for a product, that is the place to get it. Interestingly, it is a "closed" entity. Not everyone can show his wares there. I talked with one very accomplished tool maker who was excluded from showing there for undisclosed reasons.

I applaud the handful of vendors who are bringing stock with them to sell. This is completely within the spirit of the event and the venue. Let the commerce begin! Its is too bad that Lee Valley is not able to at least show their prototypes of the plow plane. Perhaps they learned from Lie-Nielsen that it's not nice to tease and then withhold.

If you are going, give your fellow Creekers a "Howdy" and the secret handshake. See you there.

Hi Mike -

We will definitely have something of interest there....

Cheers -

Rob

Frank Martin
05-18-2017, 1:32 AM
Hi Mike -

We will definitely have something of interest there....

Cheers -

Rob

Rob, I have been patiently waiting for the #3 Custom smoother. Any chance of that coming out soon?

Kurt Cady
05-18-2017, 12:16 PM
rob, i have been patiently waiting for the #3 custom smoother. Any chance of that coming out soon?

me too!!!!!!!!!!

Frank Martin
05-21-2017, 5:57 PM
me too!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like we are out of luck. I purchased a LN #3 and it is a great plane but would rather have Veritas ergonomics.