PDA

View Full Version : Home Hardware Plywood any good?

John Lankers
06-10-2016, 1:15 PM
HH (Canada) has 3/4" shop grade birch ply imported from South America at a reasonable price ($51 cdn. and change). The quality looks good to the naked eye, straight layers and no visible voids, good veneer.
I have a large project coming up and this would fit perfectly but I bought crappy plywood before and would appreciate if someone could share their experience with S/A plywood.
Thanks in advance
John

Carroll Courtney
06-10-2016, 3:05 PM
Never really understand why these home centers import plywood,they say its cheaper but 51.00 is not cheap.I remember what seems just few yrs ago going to HD and not having to go through a stack to find some decent sheets of plywood.It had on the side saying where it was made USA and the maker,B/C and it stain nicely.
So back to your question,China or South America it can't be no worse.If it looks good and the plys look good I say give it a try for your next project----Carroll

John Lankers
06-10-2016, 3:19 PM
I get your point, talking about plywood is like opening a can of worms.
Reason I'm asking is I've seen veneered particle board separate in a high end custom built kitchen after 3 years and $90 cdn. plywood with so many voids and paper thin veneer from a very reputable seller it almost made me sick.

Gerry Grzadzinski
06-10-2016, 5:16 PM
they say its cheaper but 51.00 is not cheap

$51 Canadian = $40 US
Plywood doesn't get much cheaper.

Doug Garson
06-10-2016, 8:23 PM
Is the South American plywood Auraco plywood from Chile? If so I've used it for several shop cabinets (not Birch, I think it was Radiata Pine) with no problems.

Roy Harding
06-10-2016, 8:53 PM
Another Canadian here. I've bought the plywood you're referencing from Home Hardware.

Fortunately, it was for a shop project. It's "OK", but certainly not "great". I found it filled with voids, the show surfaces delaminated for no reason I could figure out, and it tended to "curl" beyond other plywoods. Bottom line - for the price, it was just "OK" - but I wouldn't be making any show projects out of it.

While we're at it - have you noticed a depreciation of quality in the "Baltic Birch" that Home Hardware sells? My latest few sheets have been filled with voids, discolouration, and like the birch, subject to strange de-lamination (surface veneers separating from the rest for no reason).

John Lankers
06-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Thanks Roy for the feedback.
I only inspected the top two sheets and was impressed with the veneer thickness on the good side. Future delamination would be a nightmare, I am planning to build a new kitchen within the next few months.
I had the issues you're describing with $85 cabinet grade maple plywood from Windsor Plywood, just garbage.
I too noticed similar problems, no delamination, with BB from Windsor Plywood and inconsistent thickness from under 17mm to just about 18 mm. HH here in Rocky Mountain House only brings it in on special order as far as I know, so I don't know where they source it from.
Guess I will be careful and only buy a few sheets for now, the timing would be right since they're having their 50's anniversary next week with store wide discounts.
BTW.: I like your signature.
John

Troy Turner
06-11-2016, 7:52 AM
Don't know if ya'll have an lumber yards up there, but around here, I found some of my lumber yards actually carried better grade ply for just a few dollars more than the box stores. Plus they had more selection, helped me sort through it, and even loaded right on the trailer.

lowell holmes
06-11-2016, 9:12 AM
Roy,
I've had issues with all Baltic birch plywood delaminating. I will not buy it anymore. A quality plywood from a lumber yard is what I buy.

Roy Harding
06-11-2016, 9:39 AM
Roy,
I've had issues with all Baltic birch plywood delaminating. I will not buy it anymore. A quality plywood from a lumber yard is what I buy.

You're absolutely right about quality ply from a lumber yard. Unfortunately (at least in this regard), I'm in a semi-isolated location in northern British Columbia (close to Alaska), and the only game in town is a Home Hardware, and another local builder's centre which stocks pretty much the same stuff. When I absolutely HAVE to have quality ply, I order from the same lumber yard that I source my hardwood - and grit my teeth regarding the shipping costs. Otherwise, for run of the mill, or shop related projects, I make do with the local offerings.

lowell holmes
06-11-2016, 9:44 AM
You're absolutely right about quality ply from a lumber yard. Unfortunately (at least in this regard), I'm in a semi-isolated location in northern British Columbia (close to Alaska), and the only game in town is a Home Hardware, and another local builder's centre which stocks pretty much the same stuff. When I absolutely HAVE to have quality ply, I order from the same lumber yard that I source my hardwood - and grit my teeth regarding the shipping costs. Otherwise, for run of the mill, or shop related projects, I make do with the local offerings.

I feel your pain. It's sad when our hobby is difficult because of quality control that we have to deal with.

Roy Harding
06-11-2016, 9:51 AM
Thanks Roy for the feedback.
I only inspected the top two sheets and was impressed with the veneer thickness on the good side. Future delamination would be a nightmare, I am planning to build a new kitchen within the next few months.
I had the issues you're describing with $85 cabinet grade maple plywood from Windsor Plywood, just garbage.
I too noticed similar problems, no delamination, with BB from Windsor Plywood and inconsistent thickness from under 17mm to just about 18 mm. HH here in Rocky Mountain House only brings it in on special order as far as I know, so I don't know where they source it from.
Guess I will be careful and only buy a few sheets for now, the timing would be right since they're having their 50's anniversary next week with store wide discounts.
BTW.: I like your signature.
John

John,

I'm originally an Alberta boy, so I'm familiar with your location. It may be worthwhile for you to take a day and head into Edmonton or Calgary (possibly Red Deer, although I'm not familiar with what's available there) and source quality ply from a lumber yard - PJ White in Edmonton comes to mind.

I'm now located in Terrace, BC - and the closest quality lumber yards are located in Edmonton, Calgary, Kelowna, and Vancouver - so we're talking about a one way trip of anywhere from 10 - 14 hours. There's a Windsor Plywood in Prince George, but as you noted their stuff is no better than Home Hardware (there was a time when Windsor Plywood was my "go to" source for ply - but that was about 20 years ago.) I love living up here, but this is the biggest drawback for me. I solve the hardwood supply problem by planning what I'm going to do over the next year, keeping certain woods in "stock" in my shop (red oak, cherry, walnut, and hard maple), and placing one largish ($4K - $6K) order per year - this keeps the shipping costs down to an acceptable level. If I have an unexpected need, I either bite the bullet on shipping charges, or plan a trip to Edmonton or Calgary (I have a son in each city) for a few days. My sons think we're there to visit them (and my wife IS there for that reason) - but I'm really there for the lumber yards!!

Best of luck to you.

John Lankers
06-11-2016, 10:16 AM
John,

I'm originally an Alberta boy, so I'm familiar with your location. It may be worthwhile for you to take a day and head into Edmonton or Calgary (possibly Red Deer, although I'm not familiar with what's available there) and source quality ply from a lumber yard - PJ White in Edmonton comes to mind.

I'm now located in Terrace, BC - and the closest quality lumber yards are located in Edmonton, Calgary, Kelowna, and Vancouver - so we're talking about a one way trip of anywhere from 10 - 14 hours. There's a Windsor Plywood in Prince George, but as you noted their stuff is no better than Home Hardware (there was a time when Windsor Plywood was my "go to" source for ply - but that was about 20 years ago.) I love living up here, but this is the biggest drawback for me. I solve the hardwood supply problem by planning what I'm going to do over the next year, keeping certain woods in "stock" in my shop (red oak, cherry, walnut, and hard maple), and placing one largish ($4K - $6K) order per year - this keeps the shipping costs down to an acceptable level. If I have an unexpected need, I either bite the bullet on shipping charges, or plan a trip to Edmonton or Calgary (I have a son in each city) for a few days. My sons think we're there to visit them (and my wife IS there for that reason) - but I'm really there for the lumber yards!!

Best of luck to you.

PJ White in Calgary is where I usually go but that is still at least a 4 hour drive one way (we live west of Rocky), spruce, Poplar, pine and birch is a non issue but everything else is.
But as you stated we live in the most beautiful part of the world.

Steve Peterson
06-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Is the South American plywood Auraco plywood from Chile? If so I've used it for several shop cabinets (not Birch, I think it was Radiata Pine) with no problems.

The OP's description sounds a bit like Auraco. I have been happy with that brand when I purchased it at Home Depot in the US. There were no visible voids and the outer layer was the same thickness as the inner layers. I don't recall seeing any patches on the surface.

Steve

Rick Fisher
06-11-2016, 1:53 PM
The Plywood at a Home Hardware won't be specific It will be whatever that yard bought from the wholesaler. Home Hardware's carry whatever the guy decided to order.

$51.00 pre-finished plywood in 3/4" on Vancouver Island is gonna be import birch. It will have some core voids and a thin veneer. Its not the right grade for kitchen cabinets or high end stuff but I've used it for shop cabinets, its fine.

I own a bunch of Home Hardware stores west of the Rockies..

Larry Frank
06-11-2016, 8:24 PM
I have been using Aruaco ply flow several years. It is the best plywood except for good b Baltic Birch.

I get mine at Menards. I bought several 3/4" sheets for less than $35 per sheet.

Another advantage of my Menards is that they store it flat and not on the stupid arms like the big box stores.

John Lankers
06-17-2016, 9:37 AM
Thanks everyone for sharing their knowledge. Rick, your insider tips are especially appreciated.
I did pick up 20 sheets of the 3/4" shop grade ply, though I first inquired about 10 sheets but when the guys started loading it onto my truck I quickly changed my mind - at least half the sheets could have made cabinet grade IMO.
Bad news - I have 20 sheets of plywood sitting on some 2x4's right in the center of my shop staring at me all day every day :-)

Nick Nelson
06-20-2016, 6:43 PM
As previously mentioned Auraco is good stuff, handles moisture better than most as well.

John Lankers
06-20-2016, 7:55 PM
As previously mentioned Auraco is good stuff, handles moisture better than most as well.

All I know is that it's supposed to be from South America and it has BXC-7890 printed on the edge. - probably the lot #.

rudy de haas
06-21-2016, 6:33 PM
John:

I'm in Lethbridge and feel your pain.

I've bought several thickness of baltic birch from Windsor here (the people there are exceptionally helpful) and noticed that there is some very minor inconsistency in thickness but, because it's below my eyeball ability to notice, I haven't cared. The lady who manages the store did tell me, however, that she could order just about any plywood I might want - and they cheerfully helped me pick ten sheets out of a pallet to avoid fills.

I would be surprised if you could not get the same treatment from their Red Deer store.

Wayne Lomman
06-21-2016, 7:53 PM
In Australia we have national standards for plywood. C-bond is interior only, A-bond is exterior rated, marine is A-bond with guaranteed durable species. Veneers are graded A to D for quality. Every sheet is stamped with its grade so you know what you are getting. You can buy unstamped but take your chances... Isn't there a comparable system in Canada? Cheers

Jim Dwight
06-21-2016, 8:22 PM
I built my Paulk style workbench out of pine plywood from Chile I bought at Home Depot for $30 per sheet. It seems a little softer than normal southern yellow pine but otherwise worked fine. The stuff HD sells is interior glue, however. I have a couple coats of poly on the workbench and it stays inside. I would be cautious of an application that could get wet but otherwise, for shop projects it is great. Might paint OK too but I don't normally paint pine. Birch or maole is prefered for smoothness under paint.

John Lankers
06-23-2016, 9:45 AM
In Australia we have national standards for plywood. C-bond is interior only, A-bond is exterior rated, marine is A-bond with guaranteed durable species. Veneers are graded A to D for quality. Every sheet is stamped with its grade so you know what you are getting. You can buy unstamped but take your chances... Isn't there a comparable system in Canada? Cheers

There are standards but when you're trying to save a penny you sometimes end up in murky waters. There are reputable lumberyards and plywood dealers but they are to far away (for me anyway) or to expensive unless you operate a business and qualify for substantial discounts - and I'm done doing business ;-)

Wayne Lomman
06-23-2016, 10:01 AM
John, I'm with you on trying to save a buck. Where I live is remote as well (this is why I work on the mainland) and sometimes it is just down to making the best of what you can get. Happy working with your purchase. Cheers

John Lankers
06-23-2016, 10:10 AM
I have a couple coats of poly on the workbench and it stays inside. I would be cautious of an application that could get wet but otherwise, for shop projects it is great. Might paint OK too but I don't normally paint pine. Birch or maole is prefered for smoothness under paint.[/QUOTE]

Some poly makes a world of a difference, I even soak smaller jigs and shop made ZCI's in poly for a few minutes that makes them nearly indestructible.
The only time I painted maple ply cabinets was 2 years ago when I built upper cabinets for the laundry room when my wife decided she wanted them painted white after I had already built them - the result was an amazing contrast to the base cabinets and a much brighter, more spacious appearance of the whole room (8' x 12', no window).