PDA

View Full Version : Help, Unisaw motor question

Grant Lalibertre
06-09-2016, 7:52 PM
I just picket up a 1953 Unisaw with original bullied motor. Unfortunately someone removed the pulls from the motor. I have run the saw on 220 volt power and everything checks out. My question is how do I know what size pulls to order as I can tell what RPM the motor is running at.

John TenEyck
06-09-2016, 8:00 PM
Go to the link and ask those guys. They know everything about old Unisaws. By the way, it's a bullet motor and you need to know what size pulley to use. Good luck.

John

http://www.owwm.org/

Matt Day
06-09-2016, 10:28 PM
Nice translating John, I had no idea what motor "pulls" were and googled it - Google didn't know either! Bullet motor pulleys, makes a lot more sense.

Before you ask at OWWM, do a couple searches on blade speed and pulley size, I'm sure the answer is there.

Mike Goetzke
06-10-2016, 8:21 AM
I just picket up a 1953 Unisaw with original bullied motor. Unfortunately someone removed the pulls from the motor. I have run the saw on 220 volt power and everything checks out. My question is how do I know what size pulls to order as I can tell what RPM the motor is running at.

I too think you mean pulley. Couple years ago I bought a saw of the same vintage. Completely restored it and it's my every weekend saw now. If you have the "bullet" motor it's probably 1725RPM and uses the hard to find smaller pulley. Like others mentioned go to OWWM's. I posted my full restore there and got tons of help there.

Mike

Dick Brown
06-10-2016, 10:55 AM
I think Grant meant the larger (approx. 5-1/2") pulley if the motor is 1725 or the small one if 3450 RPM. as, if I read the post right, he is asking about the driving pulley and not the driven. Spec. plate gone off the motor? My 1948 Uni is 1725 and has the large pulley but nothing to say the motor wasn't different in "53 or it hasn't been changed at some time.
Dick

Charles Lent
06-11-2016, 8:39 AM
It would be best to run the motor and measure it's speed. Then select the pulley size needed.

I have a photo tachometer, and I'm sure that you can find others with a mechanical or electrical tachometer, or a strobe lamp to measure
your motor speed, but we don't even know where you are located. Please update your profile with your location.

Charley