PDA

View Full Version : Help with Grizzly jointer fence guide block...

Kyle Mills
06-09-2016, 5:19 PM
Hi all:

I just assembled my new 8" Grizzly jointer and there's a thing called a fence guide block on one side of the fence. It isn't mentioned in the manual other than in the exploded diagram.

Basically what it's doing is lifting once side of the fence so the entire thing is crooked. The block drags along one table when the fence is moved while the other edge of the fence gouges the other table.

Anyone know what the purpose of this thing is? There seems to be no adjustment--just a set screw.

Thanks

David T gray
06-09-2016, 5:56 PM
keeps the fence outta the blade prob.

Scott Brandstetter
06-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Kyle
Not sure what that is. I have a grizz 8 inch jointer and it did not come with that or, I didn't realize it should have been there because it wasn't in the fence. One thing I did do, and suggest you do if the fence seems to ride on the bed with "that" part removed. Another fine member turned me on to fiber friction free tape. I put a piece on each end of the fence and it slides perfectly and keeps the fence off the bed by 1/16 or so.

glenn bradley
06-10-2016, 8:24 AM
That might have been me. The parallelogram version of Grizzly 8" jointer has the "foot" cast right into the fence. This rides on the outfeed table which is seldom changed in height. It helps when you move the fence in and out (without losing your 90* setting). I move my fence often and the UHMW tape that was put on during assembly in 2008 and is still fine.

Jason Lester
06-10-2016, 9:47 AM
That might have been me. The parallelogram version of Grizzly 8" jointer has the "foot" cast right into the fence. This rides on the outfeed table which is seldom changed in height. It helps when you move the fence in and out (without losing your 90* setting). I move my fence often and the UHMW tape that was put on during assembly in 2008 and is still fine.

I put that on mine too after reading your post. It made a huge difference in the ease of moving the fence in and out.