PDA

View Full Version : Bonds catching up to Ruth...

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-22-2005, 6:31 AM
...but who cares? Has everyone forgotten that Hank Aaron passsed Ruth 30 years ago?! I just read two web articles about Barry's 707th home run...and neither one mentions Aaron. :mad:

KC

Tom Hintz
09-22-2005, 7:57 AM
I heard an interesting bit by a comedian who wondered why the curent steroid boys needed so much help to overtake a middle-aged, over weight, often hung over, admittedly occasionally still drunk player who had fewer games to set the record in.
I have no idea if Bonds or anybody else is actually using steroids or exactly what impact that has on performance but the number of games alone makes me wonder.

Lee DeRaud
09-22-2005, 10:56 AM
I heard an interesting bit by a comedian who wondered why the curent steroid boys needed so much help to overtake a middle-aged, over weight, often hung over, admittedly occasionally still drunk player who had fewer games to set the record in.
I have no idea if Bonds or anybody else is actually using steroids or exactly what impact that has on performance but the number of games alone makes me wonder.If Ruth had had to face pitchers like Roger Clemens or Randy Johnson, he probably would have quit and found an easier way to pay for his booze.:eek:

Scott Coffelt
09-22-2005, 2:15 PM
I think the game needs to see records broke. Bonds is and can be a real jerk, but he is a baller. You think all the crap he has had to deal with this past year, he comes out a cranks what like 4 in a row or something like that. Steriods will help with power but never will help with eye/hand cordination and bat speed, both of which Bonds has. I personally like the guy, maybe cuase he is not given the same credit. Though his accomplishments are tainted now, McQuire got tons more press and focus... I think his wa more a matter of being juiced, Bonds has great plate awareness, granted he is often intentionally walked, but when pitched too he rarely strikes out.

Personally, I think there are two things driving the babe thing right now. One is the fact he is the next one on the list, the other well it's just a shame we still have those issues in this day and age.

Don Baer
09-22-2005, 2:30 PM
I have no idea if Bonds or anybody else is actually using steroids or exactly what impact that has on performance but the number of games alone makes me wonder.

I agree that the shear number of games is going to effect these records. Actualy I stopped following baseball after the first strike. These guys make entirly too much money. Thats one of the reasons why going to a game is sooo expensive.

John Hemenway
09-22-2005, 4:05 PM
...but who cares? Has everyone forgotten that Hank Aaron passsed Ruth 30 years ago?! I just read two web articles about Barry's 707th home run...and neither one mentions Aaron. :mad:

KC

I really don't think it has anything to do w/ race, it's just the next milestone. It's also the milestone attainable this year! (Go Barry!!)

Michael Perata
09-22-2005, 6:39 PM
Imagine if Bonds or Aaron played half their games at Yankee Stadium with a REALLY SHORT right field porch.

Or if Ruth played half his games at Ebbet's Field with a 500' Right-Center, or any of the other parks with more challenging right field fences.

Michael Perata
09-22-2005, 8:16 PM
Bonds is and can be a real jerk, but he is a baller.
Being a native of The City, I was at Seals Stadium during the first year the Giants played there. Mays was unbelievably good (he is a great star and an absolute jerk).

I saw Willie McCovey play his first game at Seals Stadium. He hit a ball that bounced off the right field fence before he left the box. (He is a great star and very fan/community friendly).

When I was young my father introduced me to two of his best friends, Joe and Dom DiMaggio. (Joe was an absolute jerk but I really liked Dom.)

I have followed Barry Bonds from the day he stepped onto the field at Candlestick Park. He was a jerk back then, and is still the quintessential jerk.

With that said Barry Bonds is the best all-around pro-baller I have ever seen. Bar none. He is certainly the best hitter, when he was younger left field was his, steals - how about the 600/600 club, and even with a weak arm, he was regularly near the top of the league in outfield assists. How about 6 MVP awards and 8 Gold Gloves.

Like Scott said, 'roids can give you bulk and raw strength, they can't give what Bonds has.

Tom Hintz
09-23-2005, 3:38 AM
One thing I have heard current players talk about is how much farther the modern balls go and how much more consistent their bats are. I suppose they still have to be within the same dimensional specs (I dunno) but it makes sense that modern bat makers would be able to choose and/or process the wood used somewhat better.
I have no idea if Bonds is a jerk or not, and really don't care about that part of it. I don't know him personally and he does not call or stop by.
I also do not know if Bonds or anybody else is taking liberties with the rules. It just seems that in any sport, things are different now than they were decades ago and often that has an impact on how the games are played and to some degree the chase for records.