PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Iceland

Robert Hartmann
06-09-2016, 5:10 AM
Yes, we're driving to Iceland. I'm in the Air Force and currently stationed in Brunssum, Netherlands. What a great opportunity to travel, which we take full advantage of. I also did a tour in Germany and between the two we (my family) have driven all over Europe. And I mean all over (Italy, Austria, Croatia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, Switzerland, UK, France and others). We took a ferry from Amsterdam to New Castle, England so we could drive across Scotland. My wife wanted to go to Iceland primarily to do some photography. We didn't want to fly and my wife jokingly said lets take the ferry like we did to Scotland. I looked it up and to my surprise a ferry goes from the tip of Denmark to Iceland. It's a two-day trip. The ferry has a bunch of stuff for the kids, so for them its like a mini cruise. This should be an incredible trip.

Anyone else have the opportunity to travel. I wasn't much of a traveler until I met my wife. I have seen some incredible things and have many wonderful stories. Among them I've walked the beaches of Normandy, seen the bomb craters from WWI trench warfare in Verdun and walked through restored and original trenches, I've been in Sedlec Ossuary (Church of Bones, from WWII time), and have been to a few concentration and internment camps. On a brighter note, Mont Sainte-Michele in France, Paris, Rome, Český Krumlov in Czech Republic, Amalfi Coast in Italy, Bled Lake in Slovenia, Highlands of Scotland, and so many more. Most of our best stories are when we took a wrong turn, got lost and just came across something spectacular that wasn't on the tourist route. We took a wrong turn in Sienna, Italy and ended up driving in the town center which was for pedestrians and locals. Numerous excited Italians smacking our car and telling us "where to go." We also ended up at a Burg (smallish castle?) in Germany and was given a personal tour by the owner (it was in his family since being built around 1200 AD). And of course all the small, family owned wineries all across Italy and specially in Tuscany. We will be bringing back many cases of said wine when we return. We'll be in Italy for a couple weeks after our Iceland trip.

Enough rambling. Just a bit bored and thought I would share.

Larry Edgerton
06-09-2016, 6:16 AM
Very cool bit of wandering. Envious in Michigan.

Frederick Skelly
06-09-2016, 6:36 AM
Sounds like a great way to vacation and high quality time with your family.

Lee Schierer
06-09-2016, 7:38 AM
Iceland is a beautiful country. I spent two weeks there courtesy of the Navy and I traveled around the country as much as I could in my free time. Be sure to see the glaciers and walk in the mid-atlantic rift that passes right through the country. There are some spectacular waterfalls as well.

Malcolm McLeod
06-09-2016, 8:42 AM
Thank you for your service.

My dad was USAF as well and toured Europe much as you describe. He is 88 and still treasures the memories.

Have a great trip!

Jim Becker
06-09-2016, 5:28 PM
Wow...that's going to be an incredible trip! Enjoy! And yes, thanks for your service.

Mike Henderson
06-09-2016, 5:47 PM
Sounds like a great trip. I plan to see Iceland soon - already signed up for a trip.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2016, 6:08 PM
I am not the least bit envious?...

Well, maybe a little bit.....maybe a whole lot! Congratulations. Enjoy you vacation! Thanks for you service!

Rick Potter
06-13-2016, 11:11 AM
Got to hide this thread from wife.........